Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 12:16 Quote
g123 wrote:
won-sean-animal-chin wrote:
Was that the 9000?^^^ not flat pedal clip less? Was thinking of getting some. Light and low pro. Maybe too much?

photo

Had 2 sets, both developed same problem. Too bad because until they exploded, they worked really well.

+1 on the RF cranks, but not so much the older ones with the carbon spider. I got a set of SixC direct mount cranks on warranty after exploding the spider on the last set. Instant catastrophic failure. Not long after the start of a 40 km 7,000 ft shuttle drop. Good thing it was mostly downhill, lots of rhythm sections. I doubt I`ll have any issues with this new set, the direct mount looks pretty indestructable. RF great to deal with for warranty.

Was there any indication the pedals were going to fail before destruction? Loose bearings, lots of play? I have the same ones and this makes me nervous.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 18:56 Quote
Pedal body separation was the same but actually this one had bearing failure and the other one had spindle failure, this one is the only pic I have. This was bearing explosion, small amount of play but not a ton. I think it clicked for a very short distance before it shit the bed. The other one seemed fine until it let go all at once, broke at the nut. Neither one was going to be an immediate crash, both felt like my cleat was loose and moving sideways. You have a good couple inches that the body has to move sideways before it comes completely off. Biggest sketch factor was doing the rest of the ride with that spindle on and using a shoe with cleats on tech trail hah. Just ride it until it grenades, you will know when it lets go and will be able to get off.
Shimano knew they sourced a bad batch of spindles and made some changes, the new ones might be fine.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 19:27 Quote
g123 wrote:
Pedal body separation was the same but actually this one had bearing failure and the other one had spindle failure, this one is the only pic I have. This was bearing explosion, small amount of play but not a ton. I think it clicked for a very short distance before it shit the bed. The other one seemed fine until it let go all at once, broke at the nut. Neither one was going to be an immediate crash, both felt like my cleat was loose and moving sideways. You have a good couple inches that the body has to move sideways before it comes completely off. Biggest sketch factor was doing the rest of the ride with that spindle on and using a shoe with cleats on tech trail hah. Just ride it until it grenades, you will know when it lets go and will be able to get off.
Shimano knew they sourced a bad batch of spindles and made some changes, the new ones might be fine.

Thanks pal! Mine are relatively new. Hopefully they made the cut. I'll rock em till they nuke. Love all this bike talk!

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 22:50 Quote
Hope Flat pedals also Soooolid and very well built. Wicked bearing life.

If you haven't read Richard Cunningham's "Show me the money" article on the main page, well then you should. Very interesting and well written.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 8:19 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
If you haven't read Richard Cunningham's "Show me the money" article on the main page, well then you should. Very interesting and well written.

I gotta say I believed all of it till the end where he said he was just kidding around about the whole thing. I call BS! If you actually spend the time to read/watch any reviews they are useless, every product and every bike is AMAZING. Cash the cheque, next review...

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 8:48 Quote
freerydscott wrote:
ridayobike wrote:

I gotta say I believed all of it till the end where he said he was just kidding around about the whole thing. I call BS! If you actually spend the time to read/watch any reviews they are useless, every product and every bike is AMAZING. Cash the cheque, next review...

I thought most part the same thing... But the money isnt going to the Writer, it's going into the extensive add campaign for the website/magazin, etc... Then perhaps the writer gets a better pay or commission for writing the article.

This was posted in the comments of the article in question: http://www.churchoftherotatingmass.com/2014/12/02/are-we-not-journalists-part-2/

My brother is in high end sales with big numbers and volumes... They try and do things in long term contracts 1 year or whatever. (like in the link) so all this crap that shows up is paid for...

But dont hate sons, everyone has to eat, this is what these guys do for a living, I'd imagine the majority off all their revenues comes from add revenue / banners etc. These guys all gotta eat to, I say sell out, get paid son!
Guys really need to test bikes for themsleves, XB reads most of these reviews for entertainment value.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 11:58 Quote
No hate XtotheB, would just be nice to read a review just once that was honest and said this ------- is junk, don't buy it. I know it would be the end of the publisher of said article getting any free demos from said company, but hey honesty would be a fun change.

With all this talk of 1x front systems, are you guys running it using the narrow-wide style rings, standard rings and guides, or relying on the reduced chain length/derailleur length for chain retention? Just wondering cause I've never had good luck without running a chain guide.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 12:07 Quote
freerydscott wrote:
No hate XtotheB, would just be nice to read a review just once that was honest and said this ------- is junk, don't buy it. I know it would be the end of the publisher of said article getting any free demos from said company, but hey honesty would be a fun change.

With all this talk of 1x front systems, are you guys running it using the narrow-wide style rings, standard rings and guides, or relying on the reduced chain length/derailleur length for chain retention? Just wondering cause I've never had good luck without running a chain guide.

I'm not running it.
But I would think a narrow wide ring up front and a clutch derailleur should keep the chain on.
Major G-out situations would be my only concern.
When you really get that chain flapping around.
Anyone?

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 12:49 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
freerydscott wrote:

I'm not running it.
But I would think a narrow wide ring up front and a clutch derailleur should keep the chain on.
Anyone?

I'm running the OneUp 42T conversion with a RF narrow-wide 30T chainring up front and XT clutch derailleur. Never missed a beat. Never jammed or fell off. Multiple Big Ed runs, SS laps, Keystone and Frisbee Ridge days. Never going back to 2 rings or chain guides.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 13:34 Quote
kessler250 wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
freerydscott wrote:

I'm not running it.
Anyone?

I'm running the OneUp 42T conversion with a RF narrow-wide 30T chainring up front and XT clutch derailleur. Never missed a beat. Never jammed or fell off. Multiple Big Ed runs, SS laps, Keystone and Frisbee Ridge days. Never going back to 2 rings or chain guides.
Same here apart from slx r der. I run a g3 without bottom guide mainly to have the taco to protect the nw ring and chain so for minimal additional weight I left the top guide on. Never lost a chain, same trails. Works good and very reasonably priced

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 13:55 Quote
Narrow/wide, Saint short cage clutch, G3 with top guide only. Things get a bit rugged sometimes and it has never missed a beat. I know a few ppl who can ride that have dropped once or twice in a season. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 14:04 Quote
Xb running 11spd / N.W. full no guide for weight savings... If you run SRAM drivetrain you need no guide to keep your chain locked on there solid. Sooo quiet. F.R. Scotty dont listen to these Guys running Shiftwammo, that stuff dont work of course you need a guide.

Who was the company that innovated and invented the idea and first brought us Narrow wide rings, 11 Speed, and large ratio cassettes? = SRAM of course.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 15:31 Quote
Well I have to say I'm tempted to change up my 2x10 gears now after hearing people are running OneUp with no issue.
Only thing is I may keep a 2X10 up front and not go with the single ring.
A 26T granny 42T out back sounds very appealing to someone like me who is a shit climber.
Should be able to climb a wall like G123 said.
Or "The Wall" in Kal.
I'd love to get up that without getting off the bike.

I'd do it "Ghetto style" like XB calls it.
One Up 42T.
Sram X9 10 Speed Type 2 derailleur.
Race Face Next SL 38/26T crankset.
(I'd stick with the 38/24T I have right now but OneUp doesn't recommend a granny smaller the 26T with they're ring)

Decisions to be made before trails open for bid-ness.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 16:04 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
Xb running 11spd / N.W. full no guide for weight savings... If you run SRAM drivetrain you need no guide to keep your chain locked on there solid. Sooo quiet. F.R. Scotty dont listen to these Guys running Shiftwammo, that stuff dont work of course you need a guide.

Who was the company that innovated and invented the idea and first brought us Narrow wide rings, 11 Speed, and large ratio cassettes? = SRAM of course.

XB, I think you need more than 2 causal Sunday rides on your SRAM 11 spd before claiming anything! If you look at the guys that race, plenty use narrow-wide and an upper guide, I think there's a good reason for that. NW drops are pretty rare but they happen, doesn't matter what derailleur you have.

Shred if you want to go lower than 26-42 for climbing, then 1x might not be the way to go. Your top end will take a huge hit, you will be spinning out everywhere.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018959
Mobile Version of Website