Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 16:10 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Well I have to say I'm tempted to change up my 2x10 gears now after hearing people are running OneUp with no issue.
Only thing is I may keep a 2X10 up front and not go with the single ring.
A 26T granny 42T out back sounds very appealing to someone like me who is a shit climber.
Should be able to climb a wall like G123 said.
Or "The Wall" in Kal.
I'd love to get up that without getting off the bike.

I'd do it "Ghetto style" like XB calls it.
One Up 42T.
Sram X9 10 Speed Type 2 derailleur.
Race Face Next SL 38/26T crankset.
(I'd stick with the 38/24T I have right now but OneUp doesn't recommend a granny smaller the 26T with they're ring)

Decisions to be made before trails open for bid-ness.

Seriously though, besides Siftwrongo sucking a bag of 1000 d#cks Shred... Seriously though.. I would not recommend a super granny any easier than 22front / 36 rear = Thats what XB ran last year, and to tell you the truth ultimately it hurt my riding way more than it did any good. i WOULD RUN 24F/36R AT EASIEST In the super granny you carry next to no momentum, so slow that it hard to keep the front wheel straight and any little obstacle on the trail to get over becomes alot harder with the lack of speed... Also I felt I got alot weaker with that gear, I got lazy and slower and I just got used to it. It made me weaker I think and hurt my skills, now XB has to break some bad habits this year and attack the climbs again. Unless your content with only riding with Chicks and the Super Elderly i WOULD STEER clear of the easy gear.

Embrace the Grind, Find your inner flow and momentum and the hills will come to you, you won't have to pedal up them.

1x11 SRAM FTW!

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 16:15 Quote
g123 wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
Xb running 11spd / N.W. full no guide for weight savings... If you run SRAM drivetrain you need no guide to keep your chain locked on there solid. Sooo quiet. F.R. Scotty dont listen to these Guys running Shiftwammo, that stuff dont work of course you need a guide.

Who was the company that innovated and invented the idea and first brought us Narrow wide rings, 11 Speed, and large ratio cassettes? = SRAM of course.

XB, I think you need more than 2 causal Sunday rides on your SRAM 11 spd before claiming anything! If you look at the guys that race, plenty use narrow-wide and an upper guide, I think there's a good reason for that. NW drops are pretty rare but they happen, doesn't matter what derailleur you have.

Shred if you want to go lower than 26-42 for climbing, then 1x might not be the way to go. Your top end will take a huge hit, you will be spinning out everywhere.

Bro I've been competing in the Australian Enduro Series all winter not sure where you have been but this SRAM stuff is dialed.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 16:23 Quote
No I agree G123.
I don't want to go lower.
I have a 38/24 crank on the Dixon right now and one up doesn't recommend anything smaller than 26T granny.
So a new crankset would be on order in any case.
I'm thinking 38/26T front and carbon.
Keeps the push the same as it is now, 38/11.
But the climb would be 26/42.
That should climb easier than the 24T-36T combo I'm running now on the steep long stuff like The Wall or the KVR.
Not buy much but just a hair easier.
The rest of the time 24/36 I have now is fine for Ellison or lower Kal type trails where you don't go into the easiest gear anyway.
I need every bit of up help I can get on the steep long grinds.

I know XB.
Embrace the grind/better fitness.
I'm working on it.
Down 14lbs since last spring.
Should help a little.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 16:30 Quote
i WOULD RUN 24F/36R AT EASIEST - Thats what I have now. I struggle on the steep long ups.

1x11 SRAM FTW! - Ghetto setup is $500 less than 1X11.
Could put a Cane Creek DB Inline on with that extra savings.

Or maybe just give up and buy the moto Flowgopogo was talking about. lol

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 16:37 Quote
I ran the race face nw 30t with 40t one up, xo1 DH 10spd dérailleur for most of last season and di have a very unfortunate dropped chain during the BC enduro in Kelowna on the vapour stage. Could have been sub 9 min for the stage but... So top guides a a good thing to have for race days

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 17:32 Quote
Bro, your not hearing me Shred... 26/42 waaaay to easy of a ratio... Its a crutch, you'll say: Oooh but I'll hardly ever use it to yourself, but its too easy to get into the habit of using all the time.. Its a crutch, it will make you weaker. Need to get stronger, not weaker.

Come train with XB : I'm at Breakaway Fitness 5 d@ys a week, got the full James Wilson bike training program + Physio / training routines out the wazoooo. Come train, XB will get you that power! Let's do deeeeep manly squats together. (No Homo)

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 20:19 Quote
Yeah I hear you.
And maybe you're right.
But 26/42 would be great on the steep long sh*t around here is all I'm saying.
Believe me the other voice in my head says just go 30T single up front and 42T out back and push harder like everyone else.

As far as your power squats, I don't need them.
Power is not my issue.
I never have to get off the bike because the legs are brunning.
Its always because my lungs are done.
Better strength and stamina via better cardio is what I need.
I really should get some sort of spinning bike for here at home.
I could do that while typing nonsense.
And it doesn't help I'm in my 40's now not my 30's.
Getting older sucks.
Tell your friends.

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 20:31 Quote
You think XB ain't hitting the cardio hard too? Full package I do son. Come train, its fun...
X-Pres has a budget trainer thing you mount your bike into XB uses once in a while... Buy a cheap one they are fun. Lots of Cycling Training videos on YouTube to push you... They are cool some sweet ones with go-pros of guys on cool trails/roads in Europe and stuff, nice scenery... And there is a guy talking or text that tells you what to do: simple.

Also: there is a bunch of guys I know in there late 50'$ -60's who slaughter XB on the climbs, so don't play the age card.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 15:34 Quote
Anyone buying a YT bike now that you can get them in Canada?

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 15:36 Quote
Just to raid the parts and sell the frame.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 15:58 Quote
g123 wrote:
Just to raid the parts and sell the frame.

Them there Enduro bits are the Boss.
Minus an s of course.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 19:24 Quote
dnisk wrote:
Anyone buying a YT bike now that you can get them in Canada?

The reviews on the Capra are very good. Apparently one of the best in the 170/170 class out there ... and great prices for the spec too.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 20:41 Quote
Aright.
OneUp 42T added to cart by the lovely lady of the house.
Should be here just before my birthday.
OneUp ring now ships with a 16T to replace the 15T so no jump from 15-19 anymore.
10-speeds: (11-13-16-19-21-24-28-32-36-42)
This is good.

Now I just have to decide if I should go 1x10 30T NW up front and spin out a little on the high end 30T-11T
Dropping the front derailleur and shifter.

Or stay 2x10 38T/26T keeping the push I have on the high end now but also have the 26T-42T super sissy gear for The Wall and KVR.
Against the recommendation of XB of course.

Have to go ghetto 10 speed setup.
X1 10T-42T would be ideal but that would be over $1200 CAD to change the whole drive chain and shifter.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 20:51 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Aright.
OneUp ring now ships with a 16T to replace the 15T so no jump from 15-19 anymore.
This is good.

Now I just have to decide if I should go 1x10 30T NW up front and spin out a little on the high end 30T-11T

Or stay 2x10 38T/26T keeping the push I have on the high end now but also have the 26T-42T super sissy gear for The Wall and KVR.

X1 10T-42T would be ideal but that would be over $1200 CAD to change the whole drive chain and shifter.

30T. Your knees will thank you. As will your legs when you decide to do one last loop after a couple of hours in the saddle. Forget the macho bs, do what you know you want to do ...

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 20:55 Quote
neptuak wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
Aright.
This is good.

30T. Your knees will thank you. As will your legs when you decide to do one last loop after a couple of hours in the saddle. Forget the macho bs, do what you know you want to do ...

Or just stick with 2x10. I have. No regrets.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019735
Mobile Version of Website