Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 12:06 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Thanks for the props XB and I agree with how good the 6" all mountain bikes are now, you don't need a DH bike unless your racing.

Disagree. You still need two bikes. One for the park and one for everywhere else. Tried the one 6.5" bike for all. Park riding rattles the hell out of it and you spend all your time fixing parts.
Of course that was before all trails became smooth jump trails.
I guess you could have one 6" for Park/Nobles and one 4" for Kal/Ellison. That would work.

This makes Zero sense .... but, judging from the downward conversation curve that followed I am not surprised.

Can you please elaborate on how having a 6.5" bike for everything is a bad idea ( because it gets rattled too hard), but a 6" park bike with a 4" Kal bike is some how ok.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 12:31 Quote
Don't try and reason with a swearing name caller, you can't do it... Apologize Shred and the thread may open their arms back to you.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 12:35 Quote
Brought some SSe with me
  Brought some SSe with me

I am sexier than all of you..

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 13:08 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
Thanks for the props XB and I agree with how good the 6" all mountain bikes are now, you don't need a DH bike unless your racing.

Disagree. You still need two bikes. One for the park and one for everywhere else. Tried the one 6.5" bike for all. Park riding rattles the hell out of it and you spend all your time fixing parts.
I guess you could have one 6" for Park/Nobles and one 4" for Kal/Ellison. That would work.

This makes Zero sense .... but, judging from the downward conversation curve that followed I am not surprised.

Can you please elaborate on how having a 6.5" bike for everything is a bad idea ( because it gets rattled too hard), but a 6" park bike with a 4" Kal bike is some how ok.

Sure. I said i disagree with the one bike for both idea.
My experience with one bike for both park and XC/AM/Enduro is too much time fixing things because the park rattles the hell out of it.
I did not say it was a bad idea and doesn't mean i'm right.
Damo experience has been much different as he posted.
Just my experience. To each his own.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 13:39 Quote
Quiver of one works for me but I'm pedaling my 8" dual crown everywhere so taking it in the park works out fine... plus I ride like a girl so not hard on the parts anyway.

Jeff of Vernon I'm working on a "pay it forward" approach to life so I've sent you a Waxing Kit. SS doesn't look like it was effective in removing all the hair.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 13:54 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
Brought some SSe with me
  Brought some SSe with me

I am sexier than all of you..

At least you found your keys. Lol

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 16:34 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:

Jeff of Vernon I'm working on a "pay it forward" approach to life so I've sent you a Waxing Kit. SS doesn't look like it was effective in removing all the hair.

chicks dig it...Big Grin

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 21:42 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

Sure. I said i disagree with the one bike for both idea.
My experience with one bike for both park and XC/AM/Enduro is too much time fixing things because the park rattles the hell out of it.
I did not say it was a bad idea and doesn't mean i'm right.
Damo experience has been much different as he posted.
Just my experience. To each his own.

My apologies, your poor formatting makes things difficult to understand.

You guys are aware of the quote function right?

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 21:48 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
vernonjeff wrote:
If this is the respect given to someone who just spent a year of their life putting in a trail gets in Vernon no wonder there is not a lot of them. It makes me seriously reconsider even bothering.

XB spent a lot more than a year of building for his stuff to get hated on... Shred started hurling turds on here... Apologize Shred and we will call a truce again.

No one hates any of your stuff. You need to learn how to read whats written.
I asked you to go back and read what I said but I guess its too much for you to read yet again.
Which brings us to this.
Unlike you I will not say I like something a few pages back then sh*t on it a few days later.
That just makes you a two faced ass.
Oh and here is my apology... I'm sorry you feel you need to be a dick.
Except that turd.
Its my gift to you.

Sorry everyone, I know...

Wrong.

I Hated some of XBs stuff.

....but bitching about the one feature you dont want to hit, because your backwoods gnar factor isn't up to snuff, on trail you get ride for free...... is for bitches.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 22:09 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
....Rant Amended for Brevity ....

.......The problem is those big hit lines tend to die a premature death because people won't come out and help you maintain what they can't ride. There's nothing worse for a less skilled rider than going out to a trail area and riding ride-a-rounds all day because the main line is too big. They loose interest fast and don't come back.
The flip side to that is also true. If you build an accessible for all levels of rider trail and don't add some more advanced saucy bits on the side later the advanced rider will get bored fast and move on as well.
So whats the solution?
Two ways.
You can go the bike park route and build different level trails for each rider. But that's not realistic when we are talking hand built trails with limited time and resources.
Or...
Change the way we think about how we build trail areas. Build a good fun line for all on the main line and put the nasty big feature stuff on the side for the advanced rider. Sauce on Side if you will.
This will ensure everybody at any skill level has something to ride on every lap. It keeps everyone coming to the party, interested and engaged. That way no trail dies.
SoS will get the bigger stuff for the advanced rider braided on the side at a later date. Baconator already has that something for everyone feel. Like Martha says... its a good thing.

I keep telling VJ to think about the above on his new line. He shouldn't get caught up in building a nasty fall line all the way down trail for advanced riders only.
Definitely make sure the nasty pucker up advanced parts are there (Don't go the other way and stop building them at all. That's a discussion for another time) but make sure the main line is good and interesting for the guy who is an intermediate ride as well.
Bring all riders to the table on every lap. This will keep all engaged and trail areas from rotting away and dying.

If not DH will continue to die and we will all be endruo-ing easy trails.
Nobody wants to enduro all of time.

PS- Long post, suck it up and love it. Razz

Trails builders need to build trails that they enjoy and that they find fun. While trail progression is important to the community, out side of structured organizational builds, there is no obligation/ need/ drive/ requirement to ensure the populous is satisfied by your work. Trails that you describe are, have been, and always will be defining of the sport.

Do you what keeps trails alive? its local interest. If a trail falls into disfavor with locals, it dies. Why do trails die? riding style changes, bars get wider, wheels get taller .... dudes get older, and the cycle continues.

DH is only dead when you ask the 5 guys over 35 who regularly post to Vernon riders thread.

As for the proletariat, they can huddle under the NOCS tents, begging for toonie pulled pork and corn on the cob, while they service their electorate! As the Upper house decides the fate of their next user centered community work project. Power to the XBuilders among us, young and old.... this is the diversity of the strikingly homogenized cycling community!

Embrace it.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 22:31 Quote
Got a taste of Beowulf tonight. DAMN!!!!! Thats a fine trail!!!!!

I like riding bikes. Especially my trance.

Thats all.

BIKES BIKES BIKES BIKES BIKES
I Like Bikes
Enduro

One love....

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 22:33 Quote
Maybe we could channel some this internet hate to good use ....Like ragging Silver Star for doing such a shitty job with their web site...

Attn: Brad Baker, WTF!?!?!

1. You have been 'developing a new mobile site' for over a year. Time to tell the lift attendants to stop f*cking around on WIX and just pay a guy.... its not expensive, its even cheaper if you subcontract to India.

2. Post some fresh content. You have army of trail builders doing wicked shit every day, and people hucking their meat to beauty back drops ... yet, the most recent pics are last years wild flowers and bag pipers .....and the park / trail updates ... are you guys even doing that any more?

3. Its hard to impossible to get useful info quickly from the site... This could be a web thing or a promotions thing, I am not sure .... thats your job to figure out there Brad. Mountain bikers and attention deficit go hand in hand, we need bright colors, simple words and repetition.

There is lots of great shit going on up there, and you have crafted a fine product sir ... Now dont f*ck it all up with shitty web design and uber poor promotions..... time to expand your talent search beyond the Morning Star and offer a better compensation package than a free Park Pass and 50% of at Ski Dazzle.

Than you for your time Mr. Baker (or Representative) I look forward your future improvements.... we can talk about water fountains later.

cmcrawfo.

Posted: Jul 8, 2015 at 21:09 Quote
I know this is moto, but THIS is how you scrub. Dayum.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2015 at 7:03 Quote
seems like someone gone and broke the thread again. shame on you.

Or hopefully y'all are out riding bikes despite the hot smoky mess outside.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2015 at 7:10 Quote
I'll bite. I read this article on the front page and Charlie Sponsels response and the comments actually got me to respond.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/1-question-the-biggest-mistake-thats-been-made-in-mountain-biking.html

So lets discuss,

Should we say F it to beginner trails and only build Gnarly scary trails because that is what the hardcore riders want, or should we build user friendly flow trails to allow the most amount of riders to ride.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019816
Mobile Version of Website