Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 19:17 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
Riding a 29'er is like riding a bus. It's big, long, it drives you not vice-versa. It takes big long sweeping corners, it can make it up long steep hills as long as you gear it down far enough. They are usually painted bright colors so people don't run in to them, and lastly when you are riding the bus (29'er) and you see a group of friends you hide under the seat in shame as you are riding the Loser Cruiser.

Pffft ... sez the guy who has never ridden a modern 29er.

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 19:30 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Now more importantly something up Neptucks alley.
New Santa Curz Hightower with geo leaning more towards the decent? Win or messing up a good thing with the slacker angles including the seat tube?
And discuss...

That's not a pretty bike, IMO.

Slacker and longer? Ok, 'modern' geo for what that's worth. Get ready to be all up over your bars.

27.5+ or 29er? Hmmm ... not sure I need that level of adjustability on my bike?

Sounds like it descends well. So does mine, but maybe not quite as burly.

Sounds like the climbing is a 'little compromised' (what do you expect journos to say when SC laid it on that thick for them - trip of a lifetime to Chile anyone?)

It's not what I expected from the Tallboy LTc replacement. They've taken it further into the 'all mountain / enduro' side of things. Looks like they lost the all-round versatility of my bike.

On the bright side of things - I'm not looking to replace my bike anyway!

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 19:41 Quote
neptuak wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
New Santa Curz Hightower with geo leaning more towards the decent? Win or messing up a good thing with the slacker angles including the seat tube?
And discuss...

Slacker and longer? Ok, 'modern' geo for what that's worth. Get ready to be all up over your bars.

Sounds like the climbing is a 'little compromised' (what do you expect journos to say when SC laid it on that thick for them - trip of a lifetime to Chile anyone?)

It's not what I expected from the Tallboy LTc replacement. They've taken it further into the 'all mountain / enduro' side of things. Looks like they lost the all-round versatility of my bike.

But redz! You buy now.

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 19:45 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
neptuak wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
And discuss...

But redz! You buy now.

I like the red.

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 19:51 Quote
Talking about baller 29ers. Seen the new Evil The Wreckoning? 160mm travel. 65.5 deg HA.

Luke Strobel won a DH race on a prototype this past summer. I don't want one, but it sure looks nice.

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/bikes/all-mountain-bikes-gear/dream-build-evil-the-wreckoning/#HrRZdlvjvl71SFE2.97

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://stwww.bikemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/BIKE-DB-2015-RP-01.jpg

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 20:02 Quote
Everything Evil looks so damn good... but... how do you get past the previous issues? Are they getting right this time?
I hope so because they are making fine looking machines for sure.

PS- Needs smaller wheels.

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 20:11 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Everything Evil looks so damn good... but... how do you get past the previous issues? Are they getting right this time?
I hope so because they are making fine looking machines for sure.

That shock linkage looks kinda flimsy.

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 20:38 Quote
65.5 ha on 29" wheel with long travel, that thing will have a mile long wheelbase and handle like a cruise ship... I take back the bus comments and replace with cruise ship, or a Carnival cruise ship ( a sh#tty one) ... Why ppl were not making long travel, slack 29'ers to begin with... They will be a mile long... XB is calling hack, real world tests by non biased ppl, this would handle like pure ass... Fat ass at that.

F- the hype... 29 is going to be the new DH ,= Dead!

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 at 21:44 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
65.5 ha on 29" wheel with long travel, that thing will have a mile long wheelbase and handle like a cruise ship... I take back the bus comments and replace with cruise ship, or a Carnival cruise ship ( a sh#tty one) ... Why ppl were not making long travel, slack 29'ers to begin with... They will be a mile long... XB is calling hack, real world tests by non biased ppl, this would handle like pure ass... Fat ass at that.

6x6 free ride bikes with bright white 66's are coming back. All bike will go from blue to red and every trail will have a jump line.. just watch.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 5:38 Quote
http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-news/spirit-mountain-to-open-for-lift-served-downhill-winter-fat-biking/
photo
"Hiya, Lou. Whoo! What ya got there?" - Marge Gunderson

Winter DH MTB in Minnesota....... Silver Star, take note.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 6:08 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-news/spirit-mountain-to-open-for-lift-served-downhill-winter-fat-biking/
photo
"Hiya, Lou. Whoo! What ya got there?" - Marge Gunderson

Winter DH MTB in Minnesota....... Silver Star, take note.

Shamwow that would be heaps of fun!

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 6:50 Quote
Sweet. This one also. He put 640 screws in his tires.

When there is not enough snow for skiing and too much snow for riding trails we had to resort to other options. 640 screws an electric drill and a whole lot of elbow grease later we turned a frozen river into a downhill trail
  When there is not enough snow for skiing and too much snow for riding trails, we had to resort to other options. 640 screws, an electric drill and a whole lot of elbow grease later, we turned a frozen river into a downhill trail!

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 7:49 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
Sweet. This one also. He put 640 screws in his tires.

When there is not enough snow for skiing and too much snow for riding trails we had to resort to other options. 640 screws an electric drill and a whole lot of elbow grease later we turned a frozen river into a downhill trail
  When there is not enough snow for skiing and too much snow for riding trails, we had to resort to other options. 640 screws, an electric drill and a whole lot of elbow grease later, we turned a frozen river into a downhill trail!

Thats what we use to do in the maritimes before studded tires where a thing because our trails where that way. not enough snow to ski, too much ice to bike. Lot of work, made for heavy tires but lots of fun.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 8:20 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
ridayobike wrote:

6x6 free ride bikes with bright white 66's are coming back. All bike will go from blue to red and every trail will have a jump line.. just watch.

7"ish freeride bikes are returning.
Banshee Darkside, Knolly Delirium and Intense Uzzi right now. You could also throw the Nomad in at 6.5" with a long travel fork. Pretty sure Rocky has a new Sayler in the works as well. My guess 6.5" to 7" freeride bike to take some Nomad money away from Santa Cruz. And not red... orange.

PS- No white forks.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 9:10 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
vernonjeff wrote:
ridayobike wrote:

7"ish freeride bikes are returning.
Banshee Darkside, Knolly Delirium and Intense Uzzi right now. You could also throw the Nomad in at 6.5" with a long travel fork. Pretty sure Rocky has a new Sayler in the works as well. My guess 6.5" to 7" freeride bike to take some Nomad money away from Santa Cruz. And not red... orange.

PS- No white forks.

7" fr bikes have always been there, you think they are new because you are starting to look at them... No way they are going to be cutting into Santa Cracks Newmad money, as they don't climb, pedal, are heavy and don't descend much better... Reign will slaughter a Newmad on a DH course, they regularly do it in Enduro / DH races as Giant has a top 5 guy on their bike.... 7" bikes are such a small part of the market and always will be, that's why all the smart companies that are into selling bikes don't bother making them....

Also don't buy into the long single Crown hype, not that great, messes up your geo / handling , and climbing ability... XB has tried it numerous times on numerous bikes, works much better on the internet.

Vernon rides thread is like a bunch of Elementary kids playing "Battleship" ... Hurling missiles at each other and coaxing the other... Until the redheaded kid comes with his 29" Battleship and he gets kicked out of the sand box and is not allowed to play.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.259230
Mobile Version of Website