How to take this off?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to take this off?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 12, 2015 at 14:56 Quote
hey
i am spraying my giant dh comp and i need to take off this seal off. i cant get it off with a hammer and a flathead screwdriver does anyone know how to take it off thanks
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad103/jason180sx/1111_zpsyqec7f1q.jpg

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 at 6:03 Quote
Yeah, hammer and screwdriver is a bad idea. If you chew up those notches you'll have trouble using anything but a pipe wrench(!) Park Tool makes a wrench for that. If I remember correctly the Park Tool number is BBT-18. BTW, that actually isn't a seal. It is a bottom bracket cup. Underneath is a sealed cartridge bearing. Also, it will have a left hand thread on the drive side and rh on the non-drive.

Masking tape would be cheaper and simpler...

Posted: Mar 13, 2015 at 7:47 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Yeah, hammer and screwdriver is a bad idea. If you chew up those notches you'll have trouble using anything but a pipe wrench(!) Park Tool makes a wrench for that. If I remember correctly the Park Tool number is BBT-18. BTW, that actually isn't a seal. It is a bottom bracket cup. Underneath is a sealed cartridge bearing. Also, it will have a left hand thread on the drive side and rh on the non-drive.

Thanks no I just want to take if off as there is a weird guard thing on the drive side for the chains guides

Posted: Mar 21, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:

and how would you take these off i just got a khs but i dont know how to take the cranks off, id like to put a bmx crank on it but i dont know a thing about these bikes ive bmx'd my whole life

Posted: Mar 21, 2015 at 12:12 Quote
cidez wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

and how would you take these off i just got a khs but i dont know how to take the cranks off, id like to put a bmx crank on it but i dont know a thing about these bikes ive bmx'd my whole life, i should also mention i have a 10pack euro bb with 19mm profile cranks to replace the old bb so im hammer and screwdriver friendly

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 15:45 Quote
Cidez... Without a photo I'm just guessing at what you have, but here goes...

Depending on the vintage and pricepoint of your KHS, it probably has either a square tapered spindle, a spline drive spindle, or if it is a newer, nicer model, some sort of hollow spindle with an external bottom bracket.

If it isn't a hollow spindle crank, then you need to remove the crank bolt and look at the end of the spindle where the bolt threads in. If you see a square, it's square tapered, if you see something that looks like a gear, it's a spline drive. Each uses a slightly different shape of crank puller, but either way you will need a crank puller to remove the crank arms, and a bottom bracket wrench to remove the bottom bracket. Both should be available from your local bikeshop. Expect to pay somewhere around $30-50 to buy both tools, and nothing else will work, trust me.

If your crank has a hollow spindle and external bottom bracket it gets more complicated identifying exactly what you'll need because there are more possibilities, but it ain't rocket surgery. Some hollow spindles are held on by a single 8mm self extracting bolt (usually, but not always on the nondrive side), and some are held on by two 5mm pinchbolts on the nondrive side crank arm, with a funny looking plastic end cap over the spindle end that screws into place. Regardless of which style it is, the external bottom bracket cups will require either an external bb wrench, or if you aren't planning on reusing them, a pipe wrench will probably work, unless some idiot got crazy with Loc-Tite and a cheater bar. FWIW: 30ft./lb is all the torque you need to properly install a bb...

Regardless of what kind of bb you have remember that the threads in your frame are right hand (i.e. "normal") on the nondrive side and left hand (i.e. "reverse") on the drive side!

Hope that helps! If you can shoot me a pic of both sides of the crank I can give you straighter advice without having to write a book about cranks and bottom bracketsSmile

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 8:51 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Cidez... Without a photo I'm just guessing at what you have, but here goes...

Depending on the vintage and pricepoint of your KHS, it probably has either a square tapered spindle, a spline drive spindle, or if it is a newer, nicer model, some sort of hollow spindle with an external bottom bracket.

If it isn't a hollow spindle crank, then you need to remove the crank bolt and look at the end of the spindle where the bolt threads in. If you see a square, it's square tapered, if you see something that looks like a gear, it's a spline drive. Each uses a slightly different shape of crank puller, but either way you will need a crank puller to remove the crank arms, and a bottom bracket wrench to remove the bottom bracket. Both should be available from your local bikeshop. Expect to pay somewhere around $30-50 to buy both tools, and nothing else will work, trust me.

If your crank has a hollow spindle and external bottom bracket it gets more complicated identifying exactly what you'll need because there are more possibilities, but it ain't rocket surgery. Some hollow spindles are held on by a single 8mm self extracting bolt (usually, but not always on the nondrive side), and some are held on by two 5mm pinchbolts on the nondrive side crank arm, with a funny looking plastic end cap over the spindle end that screws into place. Regardless of which style it is, the external bottom bracket cups will require either an external bb wrench, or if you aren't planning on reusing them, a pipe wrench will probably work, unless some idiot got crazy with Loc-Tite and a cheater bar. FWIW: 30ft./lb is all the torque you need to properly install a bb...

Regardless of what kind of bb you have remember that the threads in your frame are right hand (i.e. "normal") on the nondrive side and left hand (i.e. "reverse") on the drive side!

Hope that helps! If you can shoot me a pic of both sides of the crank I can give you straighter advice without having to write a book about cranks and bottom bracketsSmile

thank you very much i got them off the other day before i even saw this, my bike is a 2011 khs, the bb on it is almost like a bmx euro bb with a bmx 8 spline, it was a 2pc mtb crank, i unscrewed both cups and hit drive side spline and it popped off fairly easy, before i had only unscrewed the drive side cup, the non drive side when i tighten the non drive side cup it presses itself over the bearing, i hope what i said makes sense, im very new to this kind of bike the only way i knew how to compare the bb on my khs was to describe it like a bmx euro bb oh ya the biggest problem i had there was something like a spacer ceased and it was mushroomed on the spindle thats why i couldn't completely pull the cranks off, i thought the lip was supposed to be there but it wasn't so i just filed it off and the cranks slid out like butter but thank you for your knowledge

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010708
Mobile Version of Website