What best protection for my 29' hybrid Genesis Onyx bike from goat heads.

PB Forum :: 29ers
What best protection for my 29' hybrid Genesis Onyx bike from goat heads.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2015 at 17:19 Quote
Greetings. My tires have cracks all along the tire side walls. I need to replace both my tires and tube but I need suggestions. I have a 29" Genesis Onyx Cruiser Mens Bike.

I live in an area that's full of goat heads. tons of em were ever I go. They completely destroyed my slime tubes. I also have a very long sharp gravel road.

I know this is a cheap bike. But im in a budget and cant buy a better one. besides I love it. except for the tires that came with it.

So what do you guys suggest. What tube will fully stop the goat heads, What 29 inch tires can I get to help save my tubes from tons of goat heads. What other stuff do I need to protect both the tire and tube. The tire needs to be puncture proof to. Also I need new helmet, What do you guys suggest.
Thanks.

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 12:29 Quote
I don't think you can be fully thorn proof. My suggestion would be to not ride there. If that is unavoidable, the best protection is going tubeless with something like Stan's sealant. After your ride you will need to pull out the goat heads and spin the tire to let the sealant do its job. You will have to constantly maintain air pressure and fresh sealant. Get a presta valve core removal tool so you can add sealant to your wheel without unseating the tire each time. A decent set of tubeless ready tires will set you back around $100 and the tubeless setup perhaps $40. Good Luck!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008162
Mobile Version of Website