Newbie BMX'er, coming from MTB

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Newbie BMX'er, coming from MTB
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 15:35 Quote
I just ordered my first bmx, http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2015/dugan-sig/# . I have been riding mountain bikes for quite some time and have done a little dirt jumping as well. I have a few local skate parks and I am wanting to ride bmx.

I just have a few questions:

I normally wear a full face helmet. I feel more comfortable in it, it's more protective etc. Will I be ridiculed for wearing it at a skate park? I will be picking up a new Pro-tec skate helmet but I won't have it for a month or so.

What shoes? I have 5.10 Impact VXI's right now, should I wear these when bmxing? I like the grip and stiffness a lot.

Tires? I will be picking up some new tires down the road, because I'm going to ride a lot of dirt jumps as well as skateparks. Any recommendations?

And tire pressure. The only other time I rode bmx I ran 45psi and it felt ok, but still harsh on my wrists. I need to get smoother for sure, but what should I run?

Tips for getting decent pretty quickly? Things to be practicing as soon as I have the bike? Tricks I should learn right away?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 9:50 Quote
Full face helmets are more protective, and it's not dumb to wear one. That said, outside of bmx racing, bmx park and street riding doesn't have a culture of wearing full-face helmets (some pros do, but a lot of other people don't). So if you're wanting to fit into the look of the scene, then, yeah, a ProTec. The decision about your safety should always be yours though.

I think the main thing about bmx park and street riding is in the beginning just work on riding smoothly and not on tricks--dropping in smooth, pumping around the bowls, learning manuals etc. You definitely do not want to try to air out right away. Airing above the coping is the most dangerous thing in park riding because if you tag your front wheel you can go over the bars all the way to the cement flat bottom (often face first). That's where the full face helmet is really beneficial. I have known several good bmx'ers who have smashed teeth out, broken jaws, etc. So, it's actually kinda dumb that more people don't wear full face riding concrete bowls.

BMX is fun because you can learn a lot of technical tricks just riding around regular streets, parking lots etc. Bunnyhop 180's, bunnyhp barspins, manuals, etc. etc. A lot of bmx is tech riding and not necessarily that dangerous.

Shoes.... people tend to wear skateboard brands like Vans and Etnies.

Tires, I personally do ride street with like 45... for bowls and ramps more like 60. Some people even do 80/100, which is pretty damn hard.

Trick you should learn right away..... manuals, for sure. If you can get well-controlled manuals down, you'll go from looking like a newb to looking like a legit rider, even if you learn nothing else..... That and good high bunnyhops, in the bmx style (front wheel first, what mtb'ers call a J-hop, but in bmx is just a basic bunnyhop).

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 20:32 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
Full face helmets are more protective, and it's not dumb to wear one. That said, outside of bmx racing, bmx park and street riding doesn't have a culture of wearing full-face helmets (some pros do, but a lot of other people don't). So if you're wanting to fit into the look of the scene, then, yeah, a ProTec. The decision about your safety should always be yours though.

I think the main thing about bmx park and street riding is in the beginning just work on riding smoothly and not on tricks--dropping in smooth, pumping around the bowls, learning manuals etc. You definitely do not want to try to air out right away. Airing above the coping is the most dangerous thing in park riding because if you tag your front wheel you can go over the bars all the way to the cement flat bottom (often face first). That's where the full face helmet is really beneficial. I have known several good bmx'ers who have smashed teeth out, broken jaws, etc. So, it's actually kinda dumb that more people don't wear full face riding concrete bowls.

BMX is fun because you can learn a lot of technical tricks just riding around regular streets, parking lots etc. Bunnyhop 180's, bunnyhp barspins, manuals, etc. etc. A lot of bmx is tech riding and not necessarily that dangerous.

Shoes.... people tend to wear skateboard brands like Vans and Etnies.

Tires, I personally do ride street with like 45... for bowls and ramps more like 60. Some people even do 80/100, which is pretty damn hard.

Trick you should learn right away..... manuals, for sure. If you can get well-controlled manuals down, you'll go from looking like a newb to looking like a legit rider, even if you learn nothing else..... That and good high bunnyhops, in the bmx style (front wheel first, what mtb'ers call a J-hop, but in bmx is just a basic bunnyhop).

Awesome thanks for all that! I've got a few pairs of vans I need to use anyway.

I think I'll run my full face a for a while, especially if I'm riding parks I guess. Rather stick out like sore thumb than be not as protected

I will learn manuals ASAP! I can barely manual my mtb, but a bmx should be a little easier.

The bike is supposed to come in like Friday, so I can start riding as soon as then.

Any tips for dropping in? Just rde along, put the front over the coping, and lean in right? I used to skateboard a little but it has been a long time. Also my local park has like 8-10 deep bowls so vertical drop-ins... I can find a park with smaller stuff for learning on I suppose.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 18:59 Quote
For a bike you won't need smaller ramps to learn on, especially with riding experience.

Dropping in is easy. Keep you butt over the back wheel. Lean into it, but remember youre not picking up quarters lol. Towards the bottom of the pipe pump your legs to get more speed out of it.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 19:05 Quote
flNclY wrote:
For a bike you won't need smaller ramps to learn on, especially with riding experience.

Dropping in is easy. Keep you butt over the back wheel. Lean into it, but remember youre not picking up quarters lol. Towards the bottom of the pipe pump your legs to get more speed out of it.

Sweet! I can do that, and will probably try pretty quick after I get the bike.

I was just out playing around on my ancient walmart bmx, and I noticed when bunny hopping my wrists hurt like hell. The bike is too small for me, and really crappy. I was landing mostly on my rear wheel trying to stop the wrist pain but I cannot do it on that little bike.

Should I get wrist braces or something? Or is the pain just from sucking right now?

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 19:17 Quote
I won't say sucking, but lack of experience lol. Its probably from the smaller bike causing you to land farther over the front. I imagine it would be harder tobset it down smoothly if you are cramped up on it.

You wanna keep your butt centered over the back though the hop Leaning too far forward will cause you to land front heavy and that does hurt wrists.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 19:19 Quote
There are good videos on YouTube that explain how to bunnyhop fairly well. Some people suck at explaining things tho (like myself)

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 19:35 Quote
flNclY wrote:
I won't say sucking, but lack of experience lol. Its probably from the smaller bike causing you to land farther over the front. I imagine it would be harder tobset it down smoothly if you are cramped up on it.

You wanna keep your butt centered over the back though the hop Leaning too far forward will cause you to land front heavy and that does hurt wrists.

I've watched a few, I think it's half the bike, half me. I can't wait to have the right size bike though! Supposed to come to my shop tomorrow (I'm working there tomorrow) so I should be able to ride it on saturday or tomorrow after work.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 20:04 Quote
Nice man! Just make it fun and you will be alright

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 20:19 Quote
dillis wrote:
flNclY wrote:

I was just out playing around on my ancient walmart bmx, and I noticed when bunny hopping my wrists hurt like hell. The bike is too small for me, and really crappy. I was landing mostly on my rear wheel trying to stop the wrist pain but I cannot do it on that little bike.

Should I get wrist braces or something? Or is the pain just from sucking right now?

Don't lean very hard on your hands. Let your feet take all the impact of landing.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 20:23 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
dillis wrote:
flNclY wrote:

Don't lean very hard on your hands. Let your feet take all the impact of landing.

Ok, I can try that..

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 20:31 Quote
Example of two styles of bmx .....

This is riding smooth:

Chase Hawk: Austin, Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyJ-EGQDT_g

This is riding harsh:

Sean Burns, Anthem II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91tde3iv8IQ

Also, watch Tom Dugan. His ability to boost transitions really high is unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNPi4xAwK2g

Wink

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 20:50 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
Example of two styles of bmx .....

This is riding smooth:

Chase Hawk: Austin, Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyJ-EGQDT_g

This is riding harsh:

Sean Burns, Anthem II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91tde3iv8IQ

Also, watch Tom Dugan. His ability to boost transitions really high is unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNPi4xAwK2g

Wink

I've been watching Dugan all week, since I'm getting his signature bike LOL! He goes HUGE off of everything

Holy cow Chase Hawk is super smooth!!!! I want to ride like that.. It looks effortless.. I guess I'll be doing a lot of riding as soon as I get the bike.

Also, most bmx guys seem to ride gloveless.. What's with that? I was riding some dirt jumps with a bmx guy once and he said "so I can feel my bars"

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 20:55 Quote
dillis wrote:

I've been watching Dugan all week, since I'm getting his signature bike LOL! He goes HUGE off of everything

Holy cow Chase Hawk is super smooth!!!! I want to ride like that.. It looks effortless.. I guess I'll be doing a lot of riding as soon as I get the bike.

Also, most bmx guys seem to ride gloveless.. What's with that? I was riding some dirt jumps with a bmx guy once and he said "so I can feel my bars"

Well gloves are obviously better when you crash .... or if it's suuuper sweaty weather. But, otherwise you don't really need gloves to grip the grips. The grips are grippy enough.

BMX racing, though, is a different scene. It's more like 4x/DH mtb in terms of gear.
photo

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 21:02 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
dillis wrote:

Well gloves are obviously better when you crash .... or if it's suuuper sweaty weather. But, otherwise you don't really need gloves to grip the grips. The grips are grippy enough.

BMX racing, though, is a different scene. It's more like 4x/DH mtb in terms of gear.
photo

Ahh, ok. I run grips always when I'm riding my mtb. I prefer the feel, but I'll try gloveless for a few rides and see how I feel

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011922
Mobile Version of Website