Tyres tyres tires tyres tyres

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Tyres tyres tires tyres tyres
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 15:38 Quote
I'm looking for a new 29" tubeless front tyre in the width of around 2.35-2.4. I will be using this tyre specifically for 'E' word racing. While I have the fitness in the legs, I suffer in the skills area. My thinking is to get tacky and grippy tyre that I am capable of pedaling but gives me a skills/confidence boost. I also don't have a budget, as I believe tyres are a very important component. I will also be running very low pressure as I am a light weight. My considerations are:

-Mavic Crossmax Charge
-Schwalbe Magic Mary Evo - Super Gravity
-Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo - SuperGravity
-Continental Mountain King II - ProTection
-Michelin Wild Rock'R2 Advanced Reinforced
-WTB Vigilant
-Maxxis High Roller 2

Any suggestions or experiences?

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 16:40 Quote
Wtb vigilant on the front non team issue and a high roller 2 3c on the back.

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 17:00 Quote
I used to have Vigilants on front. Nothing bad with them just want to try something new. Is this your combo?

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 at 17:09 Quote
Yup it's perfect for race days, normally I would run the fast rolling light Wtb trail boss on the back.
I'm gonna try the Minion DHR2 front and rear soon but it doesn't come in 29"

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 11:38 Quote
Crossmax Charge front and a dhr2 on the rear and nothing else. Trust me on this one!

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 11:55 Quote
I'm sub-150lb and my HD corner knobs were showing cuts after only a couple of rides, now after a couple of months they are pretty worn and cut up. Magic Mary might be a better choice than HD.

Other front tire options - Specialized Butcher or Minion DHF.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 14:41 Quote
So I've narrowed it down to Vigilants, Mavic Crossmax Charge and Magic Mary's Snakeskin TrailStar (not the SuperGravity version as the weight is too much). By the way, I'm running a Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.4 on the back. I'll upgrade come winter but I reckon it's fine for now.

Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 17:25 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
So I've narrowed it down to Vigilants, Mavic Crossmax Charge and Magic Mary's Snakeskin TrailStar (not the SuperGravity version as the weight is too much). By the way, I'm running a Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.4 on the back. I'll upgrade come winter but I reckon it's fine for now.

Don't touch the mavic cross charge, not for irish conditions

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 0:25 Quote
Dont get the magics in trail star , the knobs start to rip off in a day or two , whereas the vert stars just wear out really fast Razz

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 9:04 Quote
TheFreney wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

Why do they clog up?

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 9:48 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
TheFreney wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

Why do they clog up?

They just slip on muck and roots.

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 11:06 Quote
TheFreney wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
TheFreney wrote:

Why do they clog up?

They just slip on muck and roots.
Fair enough, I thought they had a 40a compound? I think I've got my mind set on the vigilants. Has anyone tried Conti MK2 up front?

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 11:25 Quote
Have you looked at the On One Chunky Monkey? Trail Extreme version has 50/42a compound:
https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM29X24/on-one-chunky-monkey-29x24-tyre
It's not tubeless ready specifically, but the "eckso" casing is apparently the same as Maxxis tires made in the same factory...

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 11:38 Quote
brianl wrote:
Have you looked at the On One Chunky Monkey? Trail Extreme version has 50/42a compound:
https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM29X24/on-one-chunky-monkey-29x24-tyre
It's not tubeless ready specifically, but the "eckso" casing is apparently the same as Maxxis tires made in the same factory...
Nice find, are you running these?

Posted: Mar 27, 2015 at 14:03 Quote
Had hans dampf on for a month, and yes those sticky nobs on the sides are Defo prone to peeling, maxis high roller good but heavy, have the Nobby nic gate star on for the last couple of rides happy so far, time will tell how long they'll last

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028652
Mobile Version of Website