How do I grease my hub?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
How do I grease my hub?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 8:05 Quote
I've just bought a new wheel, but it feels like the hub is scraping on itself, ie inadequate greasing... Am I able to grease the wheel without taking it apart, and if so, how? Thanks.

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 8:50 Quote
no. new hubs can feel tight in your fingers because the bearing have not been run in. fit it to the bike & spin the wheel it should be smooth with no noise, check it again after 3 or 4 rides. it is not simple to grease a hub because the grease goes inside the bearing which has a rubber cover seal to stop water getting to the metal balls inside & to stop the grease from leaking out.
hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:29 Quote
Some hubs have "sealed bearings." Others do not. Unsealed bearings need plenty of grease.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:12 Quote
that is true i assumed it was sealed as pretty much all modern hubs are - well is it a 'new' hub or a 'recently acquired' hub if the later could well be cone/bearin. if cone & loose ball bearing then that too will feel smoother after couple of rides.... then after few more rides itl feel rough & then gradually rougher & then all downhill from then. my guess is he spinning the axle with his fingers & wondering why its not silky smooth. a new hub should have plenty of grease either way.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 13:38 Quote
Not enough info to make recommendations either way....lol...

I do love how the 2nd post starts with a flat "no" as if it where possible to look THROUGH the internet and see what the OP has and/or know whats actually happening..

"It feels like its scraping on itself" so GO RIDE IT!! Awesome advice!! You win, metal shavings!!

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 19:09 Quote
You can usually tell if you have caged bearings- usually called sealed mechanism or sealed tech or whatever.. by the cone nut. If you know what to look for, of you may see an outer race of a radial bearing. If you can't tell you need to take the wheel off.

If it's caged bearings you can trash them. Pull the wheel pull the nuts off and the dust cap DON"T LOSE THE BEARINGS!!!! They may be caged or free, if they are caged you need to know if the cage goes in or out. Usually it's easy to tell, the "ring" goes out and the "fingers" go in, but you will tell if you try to spin the axle and it won't budge. They do need to be re greased maybe twice a year.

Radial bearings are pretty much maintenance free.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 11:24 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:

I do love how the 2nd post starts with a flat "no" as if it where possible to look THROUGH the internet and see what the OP has and/or know whats actually happening..

"It feels like its scraping on itself" so GO RIDE IT!! Awesome advice!! You win, metal shavings!!
hey come on lets be sensible here, to grease a hub you need to part disassemble whether cup n cone or sealed replaceable. so in answer to his original question NO is the answer.
as for metal shavings well unlikely grease will solve a that level of damage damage anyway. if cones are tight but not excessively tight it 'feels' a little like metal on metal when twisting the axle with fingers no??? & if you can twist an axle in fingers fairly freely then should be ok to run.
I'm no expert but i had serviced my cup & cone hubs regularly for about 6-7 years, even polished the races!! quicker than servicing cartridge bearings but need do it A LOT more frequently.

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 18:08 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:

hey come on lets be sensible here, to grease a hub you need to part disassemble whether cup n cone or sealed replaceable. so in answer to his original question NO is the answer.
as for metal shavings well unlikely grease will solve a that level of damage damage anyway. if cones are tight but not excessively tight it 'feels' a little like metal on metal when twisting the axle with fingers no??? & if you can twist an axle in fingers fairly freely then should be ok to run.
I'm no expert but i had serviced my cup & cone hubs regularly for about 6-7 years, even polished the races!! quicker than servicing cartridge bearings but need do it A LOT more frequently.

I do consider myself an expert (though hubs are pretty easy), and the gritty feeling is most likely sand not metal shavings. Some time spent wrenching would probably have the hub good as new.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 21:45 Quote
ricar wrote:
a-d-e wrote:
Aaronz25RS wrote:

I do consider myself an expert (though hubs are pretty easy), and the gritty feeling is most likely sand not metal shavings. Some time spent wrenching would probably have the hub good as new.
certainly not an expert at reading the original question. its a new wheel why would there be sand in the bearings?

Posted: Apr 3, 2015 at 17:36 Quote
a-d-e wrote:
certainly not an expert at reading the original question. its a new wheel why would there be sand in the bearings?

Why would there be metal shavings in the hub?

To the original post: I assumed it was a used wheel. If you feel scraping it is probably a dust cap rubbing on he cone nut. If that's the case, it's really not a big deal and fairly easily fixed. If it is a new wheel, you can take it back to the shop and have them look at it if you want.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012952
Mobile Version of Website