Cost effective way of extending Avid Elixir hose

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Cost effective way of extending Avid Elixir hose
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
I have just bought a Giant Glory 2nd hand with a pair of fairly new Elixir 3's on. My problem is that the hose on the front brake is a little short so it end up incredibly tight and I can't quite get the lever where I want it on the bars. So I need a slightly longer bit of hose. Annoyingly the hose appears to be incredibly expensive and buy the time I've bought new hose and a bleed kit I may as well have bought a whole new front brake. This seems a bit mental to me.

Wonder if anyone is able to get the hose at a cheaper price as I really feel it should not cost this much!? I know the outside diameter is 5mm but does anyone know the inside diameter as I may see if I can get something from my non bike specific local hydraulic hose and couplings supplier.

Cheers for your help, Jamie.

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 16:54 Quote
was in the same boat a while ago, i swapped a set of brakes onto another frame and needed a longer hose to route it the way i wanted. i did find some brands making hose kits that were cheaper than the manufacturer, but still was worth more than the brakes (they were old brakes).

imo, and keep in mind its only my opinion, would be to throw the avid elixers in the trash can and use it as an excuse to get a set of brakes that will consistently and safely stop the bike. long story, but had very bad experiences with avid elixers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023710
Mobile Version of Website