Need to pump the brakes without disc after resetting pistons

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Need to pump the brakes without disc after resetting pistons
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 11:11 Quote
Hello !

My rear XT brake is doing something strange. My pads are not new and I needed to change the brake hose that needed to be longer because of a new frame. I bled the brakes and swapped the hose but when the pistons and pushed back into the caliper, I have to pump the brake without the disc in between to retrieve the same lever throw I had before. If the disc is there, the brake just feel too soft even if I pump the lever a lot. What is going on ? Is this happening because of the worn pads ?

Thanks for the help.

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 12:36 Quote
If you are bleeding them with the pistons all the way back then you will have extra lever throw with worn pads , but shouldn't affect lever firmness unless there is air in the system.

I bled my XT's last week which have low pad life , so I just didn't push the pistons back at all from the last ridden position to achieve same lever travel , I put an allen key in between the pistons as a bleed block , think it was 5-6mm Razz

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 20:50 Quote
Hey,

Yeah I understand but why do I need to pump the lever without the disc to have a firm feel ? How come the pads don't self adjust and compensate for the amount of wear themselves ?

Thanks !

Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 3:22 Quote
Low fluid or air in the system are the usual suspects. Shimano or any decent brakes (not old avids) have a resivour as the highest point so pumping the lever brings the air to the reservoir and firms up the lever. It is normal though if you bleed with worn pads to have to pump with the wheel out as the compensation is a gradual thing and you want to move the pads several millimeters in one go.

Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 7:29 Quote
Gotcha, thanks for your input !

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008724
Mobile Version of Website