Help! My fork suxx

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Help! My fork suxx
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 10:30 Quote
Hello

I have a RockShox Recon Silver R Coil on my GT Ruckus DJ Zero (2013) bike.

Although I've been hitting some bigger jumps with it, I am not very content. The fork is far too soft what makes riding with it a bit bumpy and overall unruly. What can I do?
My local DJ-trader proposed to order a stiffer spring, but my bike buddy said it would suffice to install 1-2 elastomer rings or spacers into fork.

What is best way to fix this fork? I have no money to buy me a far better DJ fork like Marzocchi DirtJumper 2, Manitou Circus Comp or Suntour Duro D... Frown

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 13:25 Quote
SlavIntruder wrote:
Hello

I have a RockShox Recon Silver R Coil on my GT Ruckus DJ Zero (2013) bike.

Although I've been hitting some bigger jumps with it, I am not very content. The fork is far too soft what makes riding with it a bit bumpy and overall unruly. What can I do?
My local DJ-trader proposed to order a stiffer spring, but my bike buddy said it would suffice to install 1-2 elastomer rings or spacers into fork.

What is best way to fix this fork? I have no money to buy me a far better DJ fork like Marzocchi DirtJumper 2, Manitou Circus Comp or Suntour Duro D... Frown

Probably stiffer spring, but it's hard to say without looking at it.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 19:19 Quote
What do you mean with "a bit bumpy", are you bottoming the fork?

I would suggest a stiffer spring off the bat for actual jumping, most forks come set for posing more than riding it seems. Most guys that jump want a more rigid feel and the suspension is only there to take some harshness out of landings not to soak up small bumps.

A stiffer for will make small bumps more noticeable but increase feel and handling and help prevent bottoming. If you do go with a stiffer spring you may also want to put in a heavier weight oil as well.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 1:54 Quote
Thx for the input guys

The problem seems to be, that despite of being mounted on a DJ bike by GT, the Recon Silver R Coil fork was originally not designed for DJing. It can be used for it but it is no DJ fork. That's why this fork is so soft and very sensible (bumpy).

Question: What about the other idea, to insert some of these spacers/rings into fork to stiffen it?

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 5:01 Quote
Without actually taking the fork apart I can't really say how I would adjust it. In my forks (so far) I have limited their travel so they are lower than what they came out of the factory, but retaining the same spring will pre-load the spring. Preloading the spring will not change the spring rate, but it will remove the softest part of the travel. Adding a stiffer spring to an already shortened stroke is a pain, but will again make the fork much stiffer.

What you are looking at with the elastomer is preloading the spring, removing the softest part of the springs travel but adding another "spring" with a stiffer rate than what you "removed". I know that's convoluted but I hope you get what I'm saying.

In my last fork I added a 20mm (if memory serves) travel limiter and also the stiffest spring available. Took me quite a while to get the top cap on and heaven forbid someone takes this fork apart it will probably kill them when that cap comes off, but it is the stiffest fork I have ridden.

The elastomer will work, but how much yo like it will depend on what you weigh, how hard you ride, blah blah.... personal preference. Still it would most likely be an improvement.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 11:20 Quote
Very interesting and helpful input. Drool

Thanks for that.

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 4:27 Quote
Hey i have a Recon 327 U-turn Coil. It is bouncy and soft. Since i cant change the springs yet maybe adding spacers will do right?

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 5:50 Quote
Spacers will not change the spring rate they will just push past the weak section of it's rate. No idea how many spacers would be "good" or if it ever would be "good" but most likely it would be better.

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 7:51 Quote
ricar wrote:
Spacers will not change the spring rate they will just push past the weak section of it's rate. No idea how many spacers would be "good" or if it ever would be "good" but most likely it would be better.

My friend has a coil fork which was also soft. But what he did was he put spacers on the preload side. And poof the fork became a bit, "a bit" stiffer. So yeah. Maybe it'll do for mine. But still, i would need to find a stiffer spring though right?

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 11:54 Quote
Well the problem is the spring rate. you may completely squash the spring before it gets stiff enough. I doubt that would happen but it most definitely could. I put a stiffer spring in my fork and a spacer, I like it better now. You can add quite a few spacers (or one big one) on some forks, I think mine is 3/4".

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 18:59 Quote
Well at the moment the only thing i could do is add spacers and yeah i think i would do the 3/4 spacer. Also i cant find stiffer springs yet. Thanks for the help and advice ricar! Big Grin

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007917
Mobile Version of Website