Schwalbe Super Gravity Casing for DH use?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Schwalbe Super Gravity Casing for DH use?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 15:32 Quote
Has anyone out there used a Schwalbe Super Gravity casing for full blown DH use? I'm not talking a race run or two, I'm talking repeated bike park runs down nasty, chunky, rooty, single track. (i.e. Northstar, Whistler, Bootleg, Mammoth).

I'm looking to shave a little weight off of my DH bike while making minimal compromise to reliability. I'm currently running Mavic 823 rims with Continental Der Baron/Der Kaiser tires with tubes. This setup, while very resilient to abuse, is also really heavy. I figure I can likely save around 1,400 grams of wheel weight by converting to tubeless with a Super Gravity casing tire.

The idea of a 1,000g tubeless-ready tire that can take abuse sounds appealing to me but I'm not sure if it can be just as reliable as a 1,300g tire with a wire bead and DH casing.

I'm concerned about issues with rolling the tire off the bead and punctures. I'm not a super heavy guy at 185 lbs without gear but I ride somewhat hard. I'm also NOT a smooth rider. Actually, I'm a bit of a hack - casing jumps, overshooting jumps, taking bad lines at speed.

Would you rather use the wire bead/DH version of that same Schwalbe? In tubeless mode?

Sorry in advanced if this has already been discussed in a previous thread. I used the search but did not yield any readily available results.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 20:55 Quote
I've been running super G hans dampfs for the last year for DH use, and they've held up pretty well, getting ready to switch em out. Trails here are pretty dry so I got the trailstar, not vertstar, but I've never burped them, running tubless on stans flow EX's, previously run them ghetto tubeless on azonic outlaws and mavic 721s, no problem there either.

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 6:52 Quote
lead-sled wrote:
I'm looking to shave a little weight off of my DH bike while making minimal compromise to reliability.

Tires are the last thing i´d skimp on if reliability is a concern.
Those things are nowhere near a real dh-tires casing even if schwalbe claims otherwise.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 11:36 Quote
Try light weigh tubes (~200g) and ensure your existing tires are DH with reinforcing dual ply sidewalls. I am 180lbs running 28f/30r psi.

Been flat free for the last two years, and even dented my rim on a case last year. But I use to get flats all the time on my old bike, but it had narrower rims and single ply tires. Would get flats regardless of tube type and psi...was extremely frustrating at the time.

Not sure if your narrower rim width will cause you problems though.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 13:00 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
I've been running super G hans dampfs for the last year for DH use, and they've held up pretty well, getting ready to switch em out. Trails here are pretty dry so I got the trailstar, not vertstar, but I've never burped them, running tubless on stans flow EX's, previously run them ghetto tubeless on azonic outlaws and mavic 721s, no problem there either.

I see you're in San Diego. I'm assuming you've ridden some pretty rough stuff with some decent sized jumps/drops on those Super Grav tires. I'm guessing you've ridden ATT? Bootleg? Noble Canyon? Mammoth perhaps?

It's good to know you haven't had any burps but what about punctures or side wall tears?

Posted: Apr 8, 2015 at 18:43 Quote
lead-sled wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

I see you're in San Diego. I'm assuming you've ridden some pretty rough stuff with some decent sized jumps/drops on those Super Grav tires. I'm guessing you've ridden ATT? Bootleg? Noble Canyon? Mammoth perhaps?

It's good to know you haven't had any burps but what about punctures or side wall tears?

I frequent ATT, Noble, and Ted Williams. I've brought them out to Big Bear a Skid Marx a few times, they've held up for all that. I wouldn't consider myself an especially smooth rider, however I know how to be light on my pedals when necessary. Only flat I've gotten on them was a case bad enough to cause a sidewall dent significant enough to stop it from resealing. It was at ATT, but I was running less than 20psi.... Tire wasn't damage though, bent the sidewall straight again and re-seated it no problem.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 11:11 Quote
Thanks Buggy.

I see that the Super Gravity Schwalbe's are now included as part of the stock build on the new Giant Glory. I'd be interested in seeing how well that goes.

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 12:15 Quote
I have punctured the running surface of a dh-casing muddy mary on a stone. The running surface of the SG´s is flimsy compared to the dh ones, so there´s that.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2015 at 12:20 Quote
Do any pro DH'ers use the SG casing?

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 at 12:34 Quote
I got a pinch flat on a super gravity magic mary last week running 15 psi, running 15psi again on new tube so will see how well it holds up.

Posted: Apr 13, 2015 at 14:17 Quote
I can fully recomend the super gravity series for DH , Bike Park Shredding and Freeride . I have run a magic mary 2.35 super gravity sankeskin vertstar on the front and a hans damf on the rear for a week in Morzine and the surrouding area, it performed better than any other tyre I have used in terms of grip and side wall strength and even durability was excellent even though people say schawble dont last as long.. Im still running the tyres a year later, i've not had 1 puncture despite being quite reckless and hitting loads of rock and drops/jumps. I usually have around 30psi and little less in wet or muddy conditions. I wouldnt advise running any less that 20psi unless you weigh 8 stone or less as you will put excessive wear on the tyre and be prone to snakebites and rim denting.

If your worried about the casing i wouldn't be one of my tyres survived being slashed with a kitchen knife only went in to the first 0.5mm of rubber and stopped at the first later of casing! don't ask by the way..

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2015 at 16:00 Quote
Self-confessed hack reporting in.

Using the Magic Mary SG Vertstar tyres here, never had any dramas.
Had one scrape that rubbed off part of the Magic Mary logo, but the rubber and sidewalls are still completely intact after riding every weekend on them for the past 6 weeks.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 5:26 Quote
Plenty of Pro's use the SG for Dh.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2015 at 10:19 Quote
ok so I bought some Super Gravity Magic Mary tires and mounted them up tubeless. I had a chance to test them out at Snow Summit bike park over the weekend and I have no complaints so far. I even cased a few jumps and overshot a few as well but the tires seemed to hold up without any incident.

The Snow Summit trails are pretty smooth flow trails and severely lacking chunk or technical terrain. I plan on riding Northstar soon so that will be the real test. I'll update the thread with results.

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 10:33 Quote
lead-sled wrote:
ok so I bought some Super Gravity Magic Mary tires and mounted them up tubeless. I had a chance to test them out at Snow Summit bike park over the weekend and I have no complaints so far. I even cased a few jumps and overshot a few as well but the tires seemed to hold up without any incident.

The Snow Summit trails are pretty smooth flow trails and severely lacking chunk or technical terrain. I plan on riding Northstar soon so that will be the real test. I'll update the thread with results.

For what it's worth I ran the non-SG Magic mary's up at snow summit this passed saturday, and they held up just fine too. I think riding style certainly has a lot to do with it though, since I'm pretty light on my bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020913
Mobile Version of Website