Wheel size for racing? 26" or 27.5"?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Wheel size for racing? 26" or 27.5"?
Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 5:31 Quote
Tight techy gnarly old bastard tracks - 26"
fast wide open (easy) tracks - 27.5"

bigger wheels = faster/more stable on straights, slower/less agile in corners.

In my head dh is all about the corners, so the choice seems obvious to me. Seems the entire mtb industry disagrees tho...

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 6:05 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

In my head dh is all about the corners, so the choice seems obvious to me. Seems the entire mtb industry disagrees tho...
I would go with 27.5 inch wheels, all the professionals use them. Although cornering may be slightly harder there is barely a difference

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 7:35 Quote
thenotoriousmic wrote:
Defend your statement.

The comments above explain it for me.
Less wheel means more agility.
Not slating the other sizes,just stating 26" down a hill is easier to control

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 7:39 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

You sir, are one of the intelligent few that "get it".

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 7:42 Quote
Alexjlu wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

I would go with 27.5 inch wheels, all the professionals use them. Although cornering may be slightly harder there is barely a difference

..and YOUR one statement sums up the the MTB Industry perfectly. "buy it cause that's what the pros run" mentality. That's exactly how they want you to shop. Frown

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 8:32 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Alexjlu wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

..and YOUR one statement sums up the the MTB Industry perfectly. "buy it cause that's what the pros run" mentality. That's exactly how they want you to shop. Frown

From personal experience i do find that 27.5 inch wheels are slightly smoother but therefore are not as good in corners. 27.5 inch wheels are better in my opinion. Why would Professional riders switch from 26 inch wheels to 27.5 wheels if it would slow them down? By the way Im talking about wheel sizes and not Professional equipment in general.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 11:18 Quote
Alexjlu wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:
Alexjlu wrote:

From personal experience i do find that 27.5 inch wheels are slightly smoother but therefore are not as good in corners. 27.5 inch wheels are better in my opinion. Why would Professional riders switch from 26 inch wheels to 27.5 wheels if it would slow them down? By the way Im talking about wheel sizes and not Professional equipment in general.

The Pro's switched wheel sizes,because their sponsors pay their wages.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 13:21 Quote
B
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
Alexjlu wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:

The Pro's switched wheel sizes,because their sponsors pay their wages.
That's it.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 15:24 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Alexjlu wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

haha this is so true

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 17:14 Quote
I've been riding a 27.5 Dh bike the week and the only thing I feel isn't as good as a 26 is pedalling out of slow sections seems harder to get going but an improvement at everything else especially straight line speed and banging it around corners feels more stable at speed and seems to hold grip better.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
Thanks for all the opinions!
I bought this 27.5 Dh rig!
2015 Vitus Dominer

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 11:58 Quote
Keep an eye on your main pivot pinch bolt area. If it gets a little loose it can crack there,high stress area.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 12:05 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Keep an eye on your main pivot pinch bolt area. If it gets a little loose it can crack there,high stress area.
Not sure where you are talking about (its my first full dh rig) is it the large bolt beside the top of the rear shock?

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 12:13 Quote
Main pivot. Bottom of the shock on your bike. On either side of the through bolt are two pinch bolts that clamp the chain stays onto the main pivot. If the small pinch bolts loosen the swingarm flexes/twist and may crack the pinch area.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 12:15 Quote
Top right image.
2015 Vitus Dominer
  2015 Vitus Dominer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018595
Mobile Version of Website