First time BC solo trip end of June/15 advice?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
First time BC solo trip end of June/15 advice?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 10:06 Quote
Hello, BC riders.
Im beginning to look into planning a week there riding some real mtns. as I live in Ontario. Im 40 and consider myself an avid rider who wants to bring my XC bike out there to have a great holiday. Id like to stay at a basic motel nothing fancy and ride on marked trails in an area thats not overly touristy. Im not a jumper so no double diamonds for me. It like to meet up with a local bike club members and join them as I dont want to risk riding alone. I have a distant friend from Fernie I may contact him. Just wondered what town you would recommend from your experiences? Thanks Kevin Beer

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
zoltar wrote:
Hello, BC riders.
Im beginning to look into planning a week there riding some real mtns. as I live in Ontario. Im 40 and consider myself an avid rider who wants to bring my XC bike out there to have a great holiday. Id like to stay at a basic motel nothing fancy and ride on marked trails in an area thats not overly touristy. Im not a jumper so no double diamonds for me. It like to meet up with a local bike club members and join them as I dont want to risk riding alone. I have a distant friend from Fernie I may contact him. Just wondered what town you would recommend from your experiences? Thanks Kevin Beer

Fernie is a great town with a tonne of riding. There is lift access riding at Fernie Alpine resort (if that is your thing) and there is some amazing xc/am riding all around the area.

If you do a google search for Fernie Mountain biking, there are tonnes of resources. There is a local mapbook to buy ($25 i think) that shows you everything. If you are staying in town, there is a lot of riding accessible from the townsite. There are also a lot of rides accessible just outside of the town centre.

Fernie is cool because you can get to cranbrook, kimberley and crowsnest pass where there is also some good riding.

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 7:11 Quote
Can some of you XC/ AM riders in B.C. give me recommendations for a smaller less busy town that head of trails are within biking distance to motels? I dont want to rent a car Id rather bring out my bike and just ride right to the trails.
I heard Fernie so far has this? Any others?
Thanks!

O+ FL
Posted: May 6, 2015 at 12:25 Quote
zoltar wrote:
Can some of you XC/ AM riders in B.C. give me recommendations for a smaller less busy town that head of trails are within biking distance to motels? I dont want to rent a car Id rather bring out my bike and just ride right to the trails.
I heard Fernie so far has this? Any others?
Thanks!

Cumberland
Squamish
Whistler (depending where you stay)
Golden

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2015 at 23:31 Quote
Squamish is your best bet.... tons of trails, not crowded. look for a bed and breakfast in the Garibaldi Highlands and you will be set

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 0:27 Quote
Zoltar, you should check out the Fraser Valley just East of Vancouver.

Here's some links to the 3 part series that Pinkbike did on the area. Our all mountain riding is off the hook and not busy.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Rule-of-Thirds-Welcome-to-the-Fraser-Valley-part-1-2013.html
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Rule-of-Thirds-part-2-Trifectas-on-Trails-2013.html
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Rule-of-Thirds-part-3-Appreciate-the-Fraser-Valley-2013.html

There are great trails on Sumas Mountain, Bear Mountain, more technical XC on Red mountain and freeride/DH/AM on Vedder.

Also closeby are the North Shore of Vancouver and Squamish we got it all out here.

Other great areas in BC are:
Revelstoke! Check out the Frisby Ridge trail.
Nelson, everything is good out there.
Pemberton is quiet and has great riding.
Fernie is pretty decent. There are a few hidden gems in the Columbia Valley too. Mt Swansea in Invermere is decent.
There's lots more places in BC too.

I highly recommend Abbotsford though. We have tons of great AM riding I could probably show you around at the end of June.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009457
Mobile Version of Website