Should we take this Warning sticker on my sisters fork seriously?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Should we take this Warning sticker on my sisters fork seriously?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 21:58 Quote
This was on my sisters bike. Is it legit or is it a way that the company can protect itself from someone suing if the fork does break.
Stupid sticker on sisters enduro bike

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 22:27 Quote
Yes, I've cracked a xc fork by using it for something other than xc.

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 4:58 Quote
Well, that is a problem. The original Bomber forks came with a similar warning but that is what they were made for. So it is in a large part for insurance purposes, "if you break it doing this stuff, don't come to me I told you". On the other hand, it may also be a serious warning, "seriously, this is a weak fork if you jump on it you will die".

How do you know the difference? You don't. Not by the label anyhow, but notice the first line -LEISURE CROSS COUNTRY.... Without a look at the whole fork, I'd stay well away from any large bumps let alone jumps with that thing.

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 5:43 Quote
who made the forks, what model etc?

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 7:32 Quote
tom1201 wrote:
This was on my sisters bike. Is it legit or is it a way that the company can protect itself from someone suing if the fork does break.

Would help to know what your sister's bike is.

Wait..... I'm gonna take a guess. Is the fork a
SR Suntour? Maybe the XCM V3 model?

Maybe we should bring back Doug to answer the question:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/confused-about-low-end-suntour-suspension-forks-640272.html

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 8:05 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
tom1201 wrote:

Would help to know what your sister's bike is.

Wait..... I'm gonna take a guess. Is the fork a
SR Suntour? Maybe the XCM V3 model?

Maybe we should bring back Doug to answer the question:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/confused-about-low-end-suntour-suspension-forks-640272.html
yes you are correct it is that model

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 8:13 Quote
ricar wrote:
Well, that is a problem. The original Bomber forks came with a similar warning but that is what they were made for. So it is in a large part for insurance purposes, "if you break it doing this stuff, don't come to me I told you". On the other hand, it may also be a serious warning, "seriously, this is a weak fork if you jump on it you will die".

How do you know the difference? You don't. Not by the label anyhow, but notice the first line -LEISURE CROSS COUNTRY.... Without a look at the whole fork, I'd stay well away from any large bumps let alone jumps with that thing.
Ive done many dirt jumps on the bike when my bike isn't accessible and some pretty hard riding on it and they are fine. We just noticed the sticker after two years of use for dirt jumping.

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 8:44 Quote
[/Quote] Ive done many dirt jumps on the bike when my bike isn't accessible and some pretty hard riding on it and they are fine. We just noticed the sticker after two years of use for dirt jumping.[/Quote]

Okay, what do y want me to say to that? Good for you? I don't mean to offend you, but based on your Avatar, you don't look like a big kid (if that's you) so maybe you haven't stressed it yet or maybe the next landing will be the one you find yourself picking up teeth after.

Plain and simple it is an XC fork, it will not take the abuse of jumping and it will break. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but at the worst possible moment (because that is when forks break) it will fold like a cheap card table.

If at that point your parents go to Suntour and say that the fork broke and they are going to sue because their kid has no teeth, Suntour will then say go for it and walk away.

I assume that is you in the pic, and hopefully you are getting better, maybe going bigger and getting heavier..... Snapping forks is not a fun thing.

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 8:51 Quote
ricar wrote:
Ive done many dirt jumps on the bike when my bike isn't accessible and some pretty hard riding on it and they are fine. We just noticed the sticker after two years of use for dirt jumping.[/Quote]

Okay, what do y want me to say to that? Good for you? I don't mean to offend you, but based on your Avatar, you don't look like a big kid (if that's you) so maybe you haven't stressed it yet or maybe the next landing will be the one you find yourself picking up teeth after.

Plain and simple it is an XC fork, it will not take the abuse of jumping and it will break. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but at the worst possible moment (because that is when forks break) it will fold like a cheap card table.

If at that point your parents go to Suntour and say that the fork broke and they are going to sue because their kid has no teeth, Suntour will then say go for it and walk away.

I assume that is you in the pic, and hopefully you are getting better, maybe going bigger and getting heavier..... Snapping forks is not a fun thing.[/Quote] ok sure the reason i asked is cuz i can't use my dj cuz the brakes are f*cked and i need a bike for today

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 9:25 Quote
tom1201 wrote:
ricar wrote:
Ive done many dirt jumps on the bike when my bike isn't accessible and some pretty hard riding on it and they are fine. We just noticed the sticker after two years of use for dirt jumping.

I assume that is you in the pic, and hopefully you are getting better, maybe going bigger and getting heavier..... Snapping forks is not a fun thing.[/Quote] ok sure the reason i asked is cuz i can't use my dj cuz the brakes are f*cked and i need a bike for today[/Quote]

Riding brakeless or riding with a weak fork, I'm not sure which is more dangerous really.

Posted: Apr 10, 2015 at 9:32 Quote
SolarLonsky wrote:
tom1201 wrote:
ricar wrote:

I assume that is you in the pic, and hopefully you are getting better, maybe going bigger and getting heavier..... Snapping forks is not a fun thing.
ok sure the reason i asked is cuz i can't use my dj cuz the brakes are f*cked and i need a bike for today[/Quote]

Riding brakeless or riding with a weak fork, I'm not sure which is more dangerous really.[/Quote]

Easy. Weak fork is a lot more dangerous!! ; )

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019060
Mobile Version of Website