Gear Indexing woes - I need suggestions

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Gear Indexing woes - I need suggestions
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 13:49 Quote
Hi Guys

I've just picked up a new Santa Cruz Blur in the last month. I destroyed the chain and subsequently the rear derailleur on a ride last week so had to replace both. While I was at it I have replaced my rear shifter, cabling and housing.

Rear Shifter - SRAM X7 10speed (this was really old and the thumb shift was not springing back into place).
Dearailleur - SRAM X7 10 speed (up grade to the smashed X5).
Cable and housing - Jagwire Mountain Pro
Chain - SRAM PC1091 10 speed (measured and links counted exact match of old chain).

Im not a slouch when it comes to fixing bikes but I can not get this bike to index correctly. It will shift down through the gears but it will not shift back up - for example it takes 2 clicks of this shifter for it to move one cog and it regularly jumps cogs and/ or rubs against the next cog.

I've tried several times to adjust the barrel adjuster.. making it perfect to down the gears.. but this screws going back up the gears. My high and low settings are spot on.

Can anyone make any suggestions? The rear hanger looks fine. Is this symptom of a new chain on old cogs? (im on a 2x10 set up).

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 14:45 Quote
Sounds like a bent hanger, its not always so easy to see so take it to your lbs they will have a tool to check it. failing that try a new cassette

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007652
Mobile Version of Website