Your opinion on cycle paperwork (servicing reports, etc)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Your opinion on cycle paperwork (servicing reports, etc)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 11:34 Quote
Hey,

What's your opinion on getting paperwork after your bike has been in for a service, new parts, adjustments, etc?

Think it's a good idea? Pointless? Helps with future sales?

Personally, I think it's a great idea. It can tell you a lot about a bike's life, what it's been through, how it's looked after etc.
Also, it shows how often you have to change things/how long they last. Which may cause less argument over whether a part is defective or not.
We think of it as a great things for cars, but not so much with bikes?

Also it'll add value with a sale as you can prove the life it's had!

What do you think? Any downsides?

Alex.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 17:03 Quote
I would think it's a useful idea for all the reasons that you have mentioned and more...but unlikely to be widely subscribed to. I can't think of a single bicycle mechanic that I've ever worked with who would have the self discipline to carefully keep track of such information. Most can't keep a work area clean enough to find a wrench without digging through piles of greasy parts and empty food wrappers.

...but I think it's a great idea! When your shop is hiring, let me know and I'll be happy to work for you. I was a small arms repairer (i.e. "gunsmith") in the military. We HAD to keep records and clean the shop and it made everything run like clockwork. The bikeshops I've worked for have also run like clockwork....like "A Clockwork Orange"!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007118
Mobile Version of Website