Chain Length Feedback

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chain Length Feedback
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 13:30 Quote
I'm a little rusty in my wrenching and just converted my singlespeed Spot Honey Badger to 1x10. I used the new chain method from Park: largest ring to largest cog plus two links (or 1").

Gear specs: 32t RaceFace narrow wide chainring, XT mid derailleur, 11-36 cassette.

It seems like the length is spot on, buuuut, I cut my housing too short and starting second guessing my skills, ha!

Shifts perfectly up and down through all gears, though when backpedaling only on the 36t it will jump down after a couple rotations. This was improved when I generously lubed the new chain.

Thanks for the help! Take a look at the images and let me know what you think.

1st image: back view of derailleur on 36t cog.
2nd image: front view of the same.
3rd image: view of derailleur on 11t cog.
photo

photo

photo

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 16:28 Quote
Don't worry about it, bro. That's normal. Your chainline is probably horrible in the biggest cog. Pedal backwards slowly while watching the teeth engage the chain. You will most likely see one or more teeth on the biggest cog catching the outside of the chain on the nondrive side and derailing it down onto the next gear.

This is a side effect of ever wider cassettes and ever shorter drivetrains. The straighter the chainline, the less it happens. If it only does it in the biggest cog you're actually pretty lucky.

Rock on. Everything's fine.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 9:08 Quote
Great! Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009974
Mobile Version of Website