Motorcycle advice

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Motorcycle advice
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 15:29 Quote
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any good advice for a beginning motorcycle. already talked to friends and we decided i should get a 250cc to start, as it won't be too big but will still have enough power to get me going. i want something like a motorcross bike that i can throw road tires on and drive around my area but also get my offroad tires on and go for a spin out in the desert.

Posted: May 11, 2015 at 3:19 Quote
TFreeman wrote:
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any good advice for a beginning motorcycle. already talked to friends and we decided i should get a 250cc to start, as it won't be too big but will still have enough power to get me going. i want something like a motorcross bike that i can throw road tires on and drive around my area but also get my offroad tires on and go for a spin out in the desert.

Look into a type if bike called a super moto

Posted: May 11, 2015 at 15:11 Quote
Gmancool99 wrote:
TFreeman wrote:

Look into a type if bike called a super moto

no longer legal in california, you can buy them if they already have plates, but you can't make your moto bike into a super moto anymore in california

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 10:43 Quote
Last place to buy a motorcycle as cali is harsh on law on motorcyclists especially us SM folk so Ive heard.

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 11:13 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Last place to buy a motorcycle as cali is harsh on law on motorcyclists especially us SM folk so Ive heard.

yeah, its super stupid. they've also been really restictive on where you can ride your motos. which is retarded as half the state is just desert/rough terrain. a lot of california is just unoccupied wilderness perfectly fine for motos. but they crack down pretty hard on motos. and i don't see a single problem with super motos. the government is emission freaks.

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 12:32 Quote
Go custom route and mightaswell join a club whilst yer at it just to piss those pesky law dictators . ;-d

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 13:01 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Go custom route and mightaswell join a club whilst yer at it just to piss those pesky law dictators . ;-d

nah, probably just gonna get a KTM 390 RC now. was gonna get a 250 and go SM, but its not worth the hassle. you don't understand the hassle of the DMV and getting plates for a bike.

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 13:26 Quote
As long as your aware of hassle your going to find yourself in after going ktmroute.

They are riddledwithfuelling problems and aren't put together very well.

This is coming from expensive and painful experience.

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 13:31 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
As long as your aware of hassle your going to find yourself in after going ktmroute.

They are riddledwithfuelling problems and aren't put together very well.

This is coming from expensive and painful experience.

i've heard opposite of that, a lot of my friends say they're good and some of them really liked owning them. how long ago did you own one?

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 14:03 Quote
M8 I rode a fully sorted second hand 690 (654cc) smc which was funkin great coming from a turdy drz 400 sm.

Then bought a new full 690 smcr the first year they were released.

Bearing in mind I rode everyday covering large distances than just showing off in town on a sunday.

I live out bk in countryside and found the first 690 to be a complete blast but that had mega money spent to get it reliable.
Bout £9k

I then spent £7.5k on a new smcr with a akra end can and had nothing but fuelling issues which dealer and ktm refused to acknowledge.
It simply cut out whenever it felt like it.
It was dangerous cutting out on dual carriageways etc. left me in some shitty situations.

Long and short of it. It cut out for last time on me and sent me sliding down road .

I was lucky I only broke a finger and nerve damage to my leg.
Caused a shed load of grief.

They put it on diagnostics which didnt show up anything but fuel maps werent available for my model when i bought it from dealer and either suspect they installed incorrect mapping or the Akra junction to ktm header wasnt a good fit allowing air into system.

Either way, i was bk and forth travelling to dealer trying my best to get them to rectify problem months leading upto my accident.

Shame as when they run good they are good but nowadays QC has gone rapidly south.

Wouldnt ride a ktm if you gave me one and paid me.

Real shame they lost another customer for life.
I know of others too who have encountered similar with their own ktms.

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 14:06 Quote
you might have just gotten a bad egg. but i'll probably still get one. when did you get it though? they might have resolved the issue. I'm still going to try them out just because they're so well priced compared to others

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 14:10 Quote
First one was an 08 best yr they made em personally .

Then a new 12 plate.

Bad egg or not it is not acceptable!

Yh go on then but be warned and that ktms are a false economy as they cost far too much more from factory to fix up after youve or at time of purchase.

Thet certainly know how to push turds. Even if their new range and graphics look queer.

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 14:11 Quote
Trust me they havent resolved issues across their range when it comes to their shoddy FI system.

That is a FACT. Not idle hearsay just so everyone is aware.

Posted: May 13, 2015 at 15:51 Quote
Look into a yamaha wr250, very similar engine to the yz line, but geared far better for trail use, and the suspension is much better for trail use as well. A true motocross bike has a tall first gear and a short 5th gear compared to something that is intended to be ridden in the woods and on trails. This also limits its ability on the road, you would be opperating at a very high rpm on the highway. Also the suspension on a motocross bike is far to stiff for off road riding, it belongs on the track and thats about it.

Posted: May 13, 2015 at 21:34 Quote
Hes obvs dead set on a turdy ktm.

I was actually gonna suggest a Wr250 great bike.

But he obvs wants to fit into that crowd with too much money and no sense after asking fir advice. Oh and poo orange .

Lmfao

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012998
Mobile Version of Website