rear hub wobble

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
rear hub wobble
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 20:14 Quote
Hello I have a shamanio rear hub and when I grab the tire it wobbles like its lose I heard u can tighten them do I just turn the nuts on each side of the hub? And which way?

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 5:40 Quote
If it has loose ball bearings and a skewer, yeah, sort of... You will have a cone race on each side secured by a locknut. Adjust the cone race on the nondrive side by turning clockwise, then tighten the locknut to secure it. You will probably need a 14mm wrench for the cone and a 17mm for the locknut. The right amount of tension is just enough to make the knock go away when the skewer is clamped tight. When the skewer is loose the hub SHOULD have a slight knock. The skewer compresses the axle just a tiny bit when clamped, so if you tighten the cone and locknut to the point where the play is gone when the skewer ISN'T clamped, it will be too tight when it's in the bike. It will still spin, but not as freely, and the bearings will be excessively preloaded and will wear out quicker.

FWIW, this is easier to do if you clamp the driveside of the axle between two blocks of wood in a vise. Adjusting bearings with the wheel just laying in your lap is usually a real pain in the ass. You have to be able to immobilize the axle while locking the locknut against the cone, and that is nearly impossible without a vise of some sort. Also, make sure that you wind up with the same amount of axle sticking out past the locknuts on both sides.

Best of luck.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006703
Mobile Version of Website