2016 Stumpjumper

PB Forum :: Specialized
2016 Stumpjumper
Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 6:10 Quote
Mine has only gained weight with changes from stock – Saint brakes, heavier tires.

If you want to shed weight where it counts, carbon wheels are a costly, but possibly worthwhile upgrade.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
Vanguard wrote:
Mine has only gained weight with changes from stock – Saint brakes, heavier tires.

If you want to shed weight where it counts, carbon wheels are a costly, but possibly worthwhile upgrade.

How much different are the saints compared the the xt stoppers?

And what tires did you go for? Why? How do they compare?

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 19:01 Quote
photo

I put an enve riser bar, and roval carbon fatties on mine. Maybe saved some weight.

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 22:25 Quote
Si2j wrote:
Vanguard wrote:

How much different are the saints compared the the xt stoppers?

And what tires did you go for? Why? How do they compare?

The Saints are much better – I have them on my Enduro, too. They offer a lot more power, but also more modulation compared to the XT. Plus the XT's bite point wanders, and the Saint's don't.

Tire-wise, I went for 2.5 Shorty front and 2.4 DHR II rear. Butcher is a nice tire (similar to DHF), but I find it a little narrow and it is not a great choice in the wet. The Shorty is more of an intermediate, excels on forest ground, but also works fine in the dry. If you're riding mostly dry and/or rocky terrain, a 2.4 DHR II or 2.5 DHF would be a better choice, though. The Purgatory rolls great, and for really long rides, it is a good choice, but I prefer the cornering bite and braking traction of the DHR II.

http://wheelsizeagnostic.com/review-maxxis-minion-dhr-ii-2-4-wide-trail-and-2-3-ride-report/

http://wheelsizeagnostic.com/review-shootout-schwalbe-magic-mary-vs-conti-der-baron-vs-maxxis-shorty/

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 13:54 Quote
I'm trying to decide between alloy and carbon frame. Does anyone know the weight difference on a 650B Large? Is ride experience and feel quite better with carbon?

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 16:09 Quote
Anyone here installed fox transfer 150 mm to their medium stumpy? Just want to see if it'll fit.

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 19:50 Quote
mdblikes2ride wrote:
I'm trying to decide between alloy and carbon frame. Does anyone know the weight difference on a 650B Large? Is ride experience and feel quite better with carbon?
The carbon frames are heavier, crazily enough. Last season I weighed out a 650 comp and carbon comp, identical partset, carbon came out a pound heavier. Probably has to do with the SWAT door, tool mount, etc. I truly love the ability to stash stuff in the frame and not run a frame bag or anything, but as far as the ride experience goes, it's a wash. If you're stuck between the Carbon Comp and the Comp, and the Yari vs. Revelation isn't a thing for you, I'd be hard to convince to make the price jump to the Carbon Comp.

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 5:41 Quote
I'd have never guessed that.. thanks for the answer

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
Meyercord wrote:
Has anyone gone to 160 up front on their 650b?

I raised my pike to 160, added a monarch plus, and sram guide rs brakes. all of which have worked out great!

photo

Posted: Jan 19, 2017 at 22:59 Quote
sra1218 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

I raised my pike to 160, added a monarch plus, and sram guide rs brakes. all of which have worked out great!

photo

Exactly how my bike is setup now, but with the debonair can.

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 6:06 Quote
2016 Stumpjumper Carbon
  2016 Stumpjumper Carbon

Got the ohlins stx22 and liking it (not loving) it so far. Anyone here got any input?

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2017 at 13:51 Quote
sra1218 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

photo

I am looking to buy and do basically this. Although I already have a monarch + debonair on my 13 stumpy evo, and still have the original shock, so to potentially save money I could put that back on the evo and potentially use the monarch plus on the new build.
I know generally different shocks are a no no, but this one is 194x51, so pretty damn close to the 197 x 47.6 on the 16 elite I am looking at. What are peoples thoughts on this? would void warranties, but If my basic understanding is correct it would make it a fraction slacker and lower (shorter e/e) and a touch more travel too? (longer stroke)
From a percentaqe point of view I think it would mean 10mm more travel? with the new linkage with no cross strut there is no risk of a frame clash at least, but still potentially a tyre/frame clash for sure...
Don't call me stupid if I have it wrong please ha.

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 at 9:13 Quote
tomlynchwatson wrote:
sra1218 wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

photo

I am looking to buy and do basically this. Although I already have a monarch + debonair on my 13 stumpy evo, and still have the original shock, so to potentially save money I could put that back on the evo and potentially use the monarch plus on the new build.
I know generally different shocks are a no no, but this one is 194x51, so pretty damn close to the 197 x 47.6 on the 16 elite I am looking at. What are peoples thoughts on this? would void warranties, but If my basic understanding is correct it would make it a fraction slacker and lower (shorter e/e) and a touch more travel too? (longer stroke)
From a percentaqe point of view I think it would mean 10mm more travel? with the new linkage with no cross strut there is no risk of a frame clash at least, but still potentially a tyre/frame clash for sure...

From my understanding the suspension curve on the 650B is very specific. I Have also heard mixed things about the debonair can on the 16/17 stumpjumpers. The reason it comes with a standard air can is because the FSR supposedly likes the lower air volume. Some people like the Debonair though. Glad i could make that more confusing for you Wink

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 14:54 Quote
From my understanding the suspension curve on the 650B is very specific. I Have also heard mixed things about the debonair can on the 16/17 stumpjumpers. The reason it comes with a standard air can is because the FSR supposedly likes the lower air volume. Some people like the Debonair though. Glad i could make that more confusing for you Wink [/Quote]

Yeh I think its not a good idea after more looking. I modified a model of the bike in linkage software and it got super regressive in that last bit of travel.
Nice thought though. I basically want your setup but don't think I can justify spending the extra on the shock. Did you do sell the stock? what was the final cost of the upgrade? IE Monarch purchase $ - Float sale $ ? Was enough of a stretch to buy the bike (to the point I'm thinking of selling the X1 and replacing with SLX to recoup some cost ha). might just have to stick with stock shock, which is still a pretty good shock anyway. Maybe I'll look at an offset bushing or headset. I think low 66's HA is my sweet spot.
Im basically trying to replicate the exact setup I had on the 13 Evo. Love it. but circumstances make it worthwhile to finally get on the 650b train.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 18:03 Quote
sra1218 wrote:
tomlynchwatson wrote:
sra1218 wrote:

photo

From my understanding the suspension curve on the 650B is very specific. I Have also heard mixed things about the debonair can on the 16/17 stumpjumpers. The reason it comes with a standard air can is because the FSR supposedly likes the lower air volume. Some people like the Debonair though. Glad i could make that more confusing for you Wink

Keene and Graves both ran the debonair can. Good enough for me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013139
Mobile Version of Website