Broken Wrist

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 at 17:17 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
Dude1005 wrote:
So 3 weeks ago i ate shit and fractured my distal radius. And i went biking (not mtn biking but still ik its a stupid idea) everyday in the cast. and im just wondering how big of a chance it'll get screwed up. My wrist feels perfectly fine, no pain, and enough strength for a small bunny hop.

I would be careful, only reason is if you fall on the hand again it will be easy to break.

In my opinion it's better to keep the cast hand active as long as it's not hurting, the doc told me if it hurts that's when you know to stop doing what your doing

Thanks, that makes sense. i think i'll take it easy to reduce risk of falling

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 at 18:31 Quote
hey i badly dislocated and broke my right wrist at whistler. i was having a off day with the bike and myself. i had major shifting issues causing it to jam up mid flight on aline and to replace my rear d. ive riding slow and lazy with slow reaction times on au 30. if anyone knows, it happen on lower whistler dh on the first drop/ roll. went otb sliding on my helmets and shoulders to a stop.
the doc told me it was a really bad injury. now im out of surgery facing a long recovery ahead of me. At least the doc gave me some good meds ;x . i broke 3 bones i the wrist and torn a ligament i believe. any tips for a faster recover or just any experience to help me get back out there again?

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 at 20:15 Quote
shom1 wrote:
hey i badly dislocated and broke my right wrist at whistler. i was having a off day with the bike and myself. i had major shifting issues causing it to jam up mid flight on aline and to replace my rear d. ive riding slow and lazy with slow reaction times on au 30. if anyone knows, it happen on lower whistler dh on the first drop/ roll. went otb sliding on my helmets and shoulders to a stop.
the doc told me it was a really bad injury. now im out of surgery facing a long recovery ahead of me. At least the doc gave me some good meds ;x . i broke 3 bones i the wrist and torn a ligament i believe. any tips for a faster recover or just any experience to help me get back out there again?

Damn dude that sucks big time. Did you get an MRI ? If not request one. Then you can find out about the ligament, as that's probably more important then the bones unless you got the scaphoid as well. To be honest I don't know if it's tendon or ligament but one or maybe both cannot be repaired I think. Unless there is a surgery but I don't know.

I know the exact drop it's the line to the left, and you can go to the right around the berm avoiding the drop completely.

Only thing to faster recover is stop smoking cigarettes and don't chain smoke greens either! I guess you could ya know eat healthy and drink water. Once your hand is feeling like you can move it without a lot of pain, could do something like play Nintendo or do a bit of extremely light work just something to get your hand and fingers moving.

By the time the cast is off and you are able to fully ride, you will want to get back out, no motivation needed other then being bored with busted bones.
Good luck on the recovery, hope your ligament is good

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 at 23:10 Quote
so im 6 wks in after surgery out of 8. ive been moving my fingers but man i have a hard time holding a cup of coffee. recovery is coming along i just wanna get back to work. also cant wait to get my cast off and miss my bike.

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 11:31 Quote
shom1 wrote:
so im 6 wks in after surgery out of 8. ive been moving my fingers but man i have a hard time holding a cup of coffee. recovery is coming along i just wanna get back to work. also cant wait to get my cast off and miss my bike.
That sucks. I broke and dislocated my right wrist 4 months ago (you can see the x-rays when you click on my profile's photos). Honestly, I was able to ride my bike in my third month but nothing special and now I'm still very careful and do not do anything more than XC because my hand still hurts badly and is swollen. I had some complications during the surgery so some of the veins were interrupted and that contributed to the recovery time. Now the hand is still turning blue and a little swollen but at least is usable for work and some XC riding.
Wish you to get back on the bike in no time!

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 13:56 Quote
georgevorobyov wrote:
shom1 wrote:
That sucks. I broke and dislocated my right wrist 4 months ago (you can see the x-rays when you click on my profile's photos). Honestly, I was able to ride my bike in my third month but nothing special and now I'm still very careful and do not do anything more than XC because my hand still hurts badly and is swollen. I had some complications during the surgery so some of the veins were interrupted and that contributed to the recovery time. Now the hand is still turning blue and a little swollen but at least is usable for work and some XC riding.
Wish you to get back on the bike in no time!

Sucks to hear about your injury. How long has it been for you. I hope your wrist gets better soon.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 3:35 Quote
shom1 wrote:
Sucks to hear about your injury. How long has it been for you. I hope your wrist gets better soon.
It's been 14 week since the surgery and the accident. I've been taking calcium (500mg per day), Vitamin K and Vitamin D to speed up the recovery of the bone and now to prevent osteoporosis. Also, I'd eaten a lot of Tahini (100-200 grams per day) in the first month as a natural source of calcium. As a result, the bone was fully healed in 2 months (judging by the x-rays).
As someone mention you should move your hand (fingers and wrist) as much as possible - to eat with it, brush your teeth and etc; otherwise, you will suffer during the rehabilitation period.
I also had a hard time holding a cup of tea but don't worry about it. The problem will go away in a week or two Smile Usually, the first 4-8 weeks are the worst. After that you will progress really fast and your strength will come back.
Thanks for the wishes!
Btw, something that helped me with the pain from the soft tissue is "Traumeel S". This is something that I was not prescribed. I found it here thanks to @dmadness.

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 at 2:33 Quote
I dislocated my wrist, broke my scaphoid and snapped the ligaments in my left wrist almost five years ago. It was a major injury and I've not regained full function and never will.

The best thing I did to help me get back riding was to buy an Allsports Dynamics oh2 wrist brace, its not cheap but it provides so much more support than those 661 supports do. Having an adjustable stop is fantastic to limit backwards movement which can be hard to control when coming out of a cast with most of your muscle wasted away!

I didn't get great support with physio/rehab post surgery and it shows as my arm/wrist are still visibly skinnier than my right arm, its worth putting the work in during recovery to avoid the issues I experienced.

But to finish on a positive note; since the injury I'm riding as much as I ever have been and I'm not really compromised by the injury, I do still wear my wrist brace but more as a preventative measure than through necessity.

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 at 11:31 Quote
I would second @DC1988 about Allsport dynamics wrist braces. I ordered one of the custom braces because they have the ability to limit downwards movement which is the most problematic movement for me. People there were very kind and helpful! Highly recommend them!

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 at 17:26 Quote
I didn't realize they had a wrist brace with a hard plastic movement stopper. I'll probably buy a set!

Thanks for the mention Salute

O+
Posted: Jan 1, 2016 at 10:01 Quote
I've broken my left wrist enough to know the pain of physical therapy is worth 95-100% of mobility. The important thing to remember is , do not rush it and don't over do it! There is good pain and there is bad pain and after the physical therapist shows you what stretches you need to do at home DO Them! But don't over do it! You'll be fine, enjoy the down time

Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 14:50 Quote
Practise falling and not sticking your hand out. I have broken scaphoids in both wrists the right twice and distal radius in right one as well. I can only move my right hand 45degrees backward and falling with hand out causes a lot of pain and it'll break again very easily, I've now learnt to come down on my fore arm fist clenched, flexed muscles supports bones protecting them and you spread the load, lost skin but no more breaks. If you wear body armour, the fore arms usually well protected as well when your wrist isn't.

Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 23:48 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
Practise falling and not sticking your hand out. I have broken scaphoids in both wrists the right twice and distal radius in right one as well. I can only move my right hand 45degrees backward and falling with hand out causes a lot of pain and it'll break again very easily, I've now learnt to come down on my fore arm fist clenched, flexed muscles supports bones protecting them and you spread the load, lost skin but no more breaks. If you wear body armour, the fore arms usually well protected as well when your wrist isn't.

Will keep this in mind, thanks

Posted: Jan 6, 2016 at 5:14 Quote
I wear elbow pads so I can (try to) fall on them rather than my hands

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2016 at 17:51 Quote
Neither of my 2 left wrist breaks were bike related.. Thankfully! The only casualty of biking DH in the past 20years has been a broken left thumb. Left Thumb got jammed between the handle bar and brake lever and cracked the last bone. I still finished the trail Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010190
Mobile Version of Website