Broken Wrist

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 13:25 Quote
I used the 661 brace for the first month and a bit post cast removal. Didn't really notice it too much, but enough to not wear it forever. I'd get it and see how you get on. It's not really a brace either, it's more like a removable cast.. Worth the tenner though (I bought the one with the thumb loop).

Practice doing wrist stretches too, I was studying for exams when I got mine off so I always did stretches during my procrastination periods and it really helped my recovery. Do queens waves and practice bending it back and forwards, getting closer to 90° angles. Once you get full range of movement back, practice wrist curls with baby weights. I also found I couldn't get back on the road bike though, because my wrist was put in an uncomfortable position on the hoods mixed in with the road vibrations, and because I just wanted to go back to the hill!

But if you're worried about breaking it again, maybe a proper brace could be a good idea. It's almost a year later and my left wrist is still usually the most sore bit of me after an arms out crash...

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 13:40 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
I used the 661 brace for the first month and a bit post cast removal. Didn't really notice it too much, but enough to not wear it forever. I'd get it and see how you get on. It's not really a brace either, it's more like a removable cast.. Worth the tenner though (I bought the one with the thumb loop).

Practice doing wrist stretches too, I was studying for exams when I got mine off so I always did stretches during my procrastination periods and it really helped my recovery. Do queens waves and practice bending it back and forwards, getting closer to 90° angles. Once you get full range of movement back, practice wrist curls with baby weights. I also found I couldn't get back on the road bike though, because my wrist was put in an uncomfortable position on the hoods mixed in with the road vibrations, and because I just wanted to go back to the hill!

But if you're worried about breaking it again, maybe a proper brace could be a good idea. It's almost a year later and my left wrist is still usually the most sore bit of me after an arms out crash...
Thanks for the advise I appreciate it. Il give it a try. And il start off on my trail bike just ride round town to work and back just to get back on a bike.
I had fracture my other wrist years ago before I started riding and it's never been an issue so I'm optimistic but cautious.
Again thanks for your help.

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 5:41 Quote
Bigwill13 wrote:
Very true as I'm not insured for this break which sucks. I am getting insurance now but still rather not have to use it. I will have a look at the allsport ones and get the 661s anyway as they are inexpensive.

How did you guys get on with your wrists when you got back on your bikes?

I don't have too many issues on my mountain bike, I wear my Allsport brace for everything except XC and whereas my wrist used to be the limiting factor on how long I could ride for, that is no longer the case now I've built some strength back.

The worst pain I get in my wrist is actually on my road bike, I don't wear my brace for that and I usually end up with a very sore wrist after a ride. I find the higher frequency vibrations worse than say riding a rock garden on my mtb.

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 8:52 Quote
DC1988 wrote:

The worst pain I get in my wrist is actually on my road bike, I don't wear my brace for that and I usually end up with a very sore wrist after a ride. I find the higher frequency vibrations worse than say riding a rock garden on my mtb.
Ditto on that, riding on the hoods and drops was no where near as comfortable as on normal mtb bars. Don't really mind though! lol

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 8:55 Quote
Also for the person asking about recovery yesterday, get a stress ball too. Works wonders

Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 9:41 Quote
Cheers guys. Can't wait to get back on it!

Posted: May 7, 2016 at 5:25 Quote
Broken radius in my right wrist for me, came looking for advice on wrist splints when riding and BINGO this thread is a winner... thanks all for the advice in this thread, looks like I shall be spending some money!

I already have some hand/grip exercise tools and will be using them, but for me I've already been off the bike 4 weeks and the doc (who is an XC rider) has said to be off another 3-4 weeks and then only back on the XC bike.... looks like my Alps trip will have to be deferred, but hey ho that's more money for UK uplift when I am fit again.

Posted: May 9, 2016 at 20:33 Quote
That sucks about your trip! Better to play it safe and let it heal, I think.

Good luck with the recovery

Posted: May 10, 2016 at 0:06 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
That sucks about your trip! Better to play it safe and let it heal, I think.

Good luck with the recovery

Thanks matey.... yeah the trip sucks BUT it does mean I get afford the long weekend later in the summer to ride Fort William instead and do the Alps next year!

I'm more upset by having to ride XC first before being "allowed" on to the big bike!

Posted: Sep 24, 2016 at 19:00 Quote
Awesome thread!

Been off the bike for over a month with a ulnar dislocation, torn ligament, and shattered radius right at the end.Had the surgery 4 days after the accident and ended up with a plate, 11 screws and 2 pins and a lot of k wire.

Am absolutely gagging for a ride and this cast is pissing me off, i think i'll get the 661 or the TLD wrist. Awesome tips about the stress ball! I've been using the cast as resistance training but shit it gets tired fast (my wrist) but it's getting stronger every day.

Posted: Sep 24, 2016 at 23:19 Quote
Bobstah wrote:
Awesome thread!

Been off the bike for over a month with a ulnar dislocation, torn ligament, and shattered radius right at the end.Had the surgery 4 days after the accident and ended up with a plate, 11 screws and 2 pins and a lot of k wire.

Am absolutely gagging for a ride and this cast is pissing me off, i think i'll get the 661 or the TLD wrist. Awesome tips about the stress ball! I've been using the cast as resistance training but shit it gets tired fast (my wrist) but it's getting stronger every day.

Be aware that the 661s are not going to last you long. I had used mine for only 3 months before they fell apart.
Good luck with your recovery!

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 5:37 Quote
I'm still using my Allsports Dynamic brace after about 4 years and it's still doing the business. The 661 brace isn't up to much if you have had a serious injury and need to use it long term

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 6:32 Quote
georgevorobyov wrote:
Bobstah wrote:
Awesome thread!

Be aware that the 661s are not going to last you long. I had used mine for only 3 months before they fell apart.
Good luck with your recovery!
Hopefully you wouldn't need for more than 3 months. It's a good brace but I only used it for about 15 rides. I found it a bit limiting because it makes your wrist completely rigid. You get what you pay for really..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012343
Mobile Version of Website