Is it bad to crack your back?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Is it bad to crack your back?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
Just wondering, ihaven't done it in a long time, but I used to crack my back by putting one leg over the other in a sitting position and twist untill My back craked several times. i heard it may be bad for you so I stopped. my back gets stiff when I don't do this.

So just wondering if it causes arthritis or anything thats bad for you to crack your back?

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
i crack ma back all the time

if i dont it feels f*cked

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 18:36 Quote
I go to the chiropractor 2 or 3 times every 4 months or so. My L3-L4 vertebrae get fused together every 3-4 months, has been happening for the last 10 years or so. I learned to live with it until it just got too much, started seeing the Chiro and he fixes me up each time as it occurs. I could probably beat it with a good stretching routine, but I really hate stretching so have never got into a routine. I was able to crack my back in a similar fashion to what you described, I asked my chiropractor if this was good or bad, he said generally anything involving twisting to bending to get that relief isn't good. If you can get a similar result keeping things in line (like touching your toes, no twisting) then that is ok. I would suggest a consultation with a chiropractor.

nate

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 18:50 Quote
Ya thats what I heard too. I actualy have an extra vertibra in my lower back (found that out when I got some extrays just a few months ago)

There is another way to crack it which doesn't exactly envolve twisting. You could lay flat on your back and cross one of your legs over the other and have someone press on your shoulder and knee. Is that bad?

Posted: Jan 20, 2008 at 23:31 Quote
Any type of self manipulation is a bad idea. You are not trained to do it. Chiro's spend something like a whole year just studying the neck area, most dangerous area. I would take Nates advice and see a Chiropractor.

BTW cracking your own neck can cause a stroke.

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 21:31 Quote
It can be bad to crack any joint. I have a back issue and I crack mine all the time. It isn't good for you, but it helps when you get stiff. But try to not do it too often, also we are not professionals on backs and bones. Maybe ask someone who knows instead of people on pb.

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
the twisting motion isnt good. but if you sitting in a chair that goes just over the middle of your back and kinda lean back on it.. it will also crack your back and isnt bad for you. it will be hard to get the few first times but when you get it it feels wonderful. lol ( chiroprator of mine said its fine)

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 22:11 Quote
ksavbikes wrote:
the twisting motion isnt good. but if you sitting in a chair that goes just over the middle of your back and kinda lean back on it.. it will also crack your back and isnt bad for you. it will be hard to get the few first times but when you get it it feels wonderful. lol ( chiroprator of mine said its fine)

Wow dude thats what I have been doing. If I get stiff in class and nonone is behind me i will just lean back and it will crack.

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 22:15 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
Any type of self manipulation is a bad idea. You are not trained to do it. Chiro's spend something like a whole year just studying the neck area, most dangerous area. I would take Nates advice and see a Chiropractor.

Guess I'm having a stroke, I crack my neck all the time. My back even more. Every morning my first 2 step out of bed are cracking my knees. My body's basically f*cked up...

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 22:29 Quote
You should be typing into a search engine Back, Crack, Vertibrae, Joint, Chriropractor. Etc. and read lot's about it for yourself.

I personally don't believe in Chriropractors as I;ve seen on twice and it did me ( personally ) more harm than good, but I have friends that swear by it.

personally I like Accupuncture, but If your needle phobic ( they're tiny ) there is accupressure, Or deep tissue massage ( is painfull, and blissfull )

if I understand correctly The "cracking" is due to small pocket's ( burstis ) that Pop and release a small amount of fluid, but it's been a whil and Honestly That's hearsay as I never myself Looked it up.

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 1:34 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:

Oh shit. I crack my neck ALL the time, I just did like 4-5 times before I read that.

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 2:10 Quote
I get needles, called IMS. They poke needles into my damaged tissues. I got knots that hold nerves now, and they feel like rocks all down my back. Mind you having a biker land on your head would do that.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
My mom has severe back pain and she's been seeing a chiropractor for years. This year she started on accupuncture and she's never felt better results. She recomends it for everyone.

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 14:19 Quote
unicorn-bob wrote:
I get needles, called IMS. They poke needles into my damaged tissues. I got knots that hold nerves now, and they feel like rocks all down my back. Mind you having a biker land on your head would do that.

Wow how the heck did that happen?

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.017537
Mobile Version of Website