Bought 'new to me' brakes. My rear adapter seems wrong...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bought 'new to me' brakes. My rear adapter seems wrong...
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 22, 2015 at 22:38 Quote
I just bought a new set of brakes from a friend. I thought I had an 8" (203mm) rear rotor but I was running a 7" (185mm) rotor. My previous brakes were Juicy 5s. My front adapter worked fine as it was also a 203mm size. On the rear I have an IS adapter. On the one side o the adapter it shows 185 with a direction arrow. I couldn't get the rear wheel to mount, so I figure I don't have the correct adapter. But I do have a spare one that says 160/165 to 203mm 8" rotor. I would have thought that would work but it seems to sit at the exact height as my other adapter labelled 185mm?? Do you need to rotate the adapter, get spacers, or a new adapter, to have it go from 185 to 203?

Posted: May 22, 2015 at 23:29 Quote
So you're going up from 185 to 203 on the rear rotor? Do you know what the stock rotor size is for your frame without an adapter? Since your 160-203 adapter sits at the same height as the 185, I'm guessing the frame takes a 140 rotor with no adapter. So you'll need a 140-203 adapter. Not sure how easy it will be to find since that's not a very common adapter size. Do you really need the bigger rear rotor for what you're riding?

O+
Posted: May 23, 2015 at 14:07 Quote
foobajoob wrote:
So you're going up from 185 to 203 on the rear rotor? Do you know what the stock rotor size is for your frame without an adapter? Since your 160-203 adapter sits at the same height as the 185, I'm guessing the frame takes a 140 rotor with no adapter. So you'll need a 140-203 adapter. Not sure how easy it will be to find since that's not a very common adapter size. Do you really need the bigger rear rotor for what you're riding?
No I don't. I've run my 7" rotor for years, but it is a bit warped, and the brakes came with 8" ones. Thought it would be an easy upgrade, but ran into the adapter issue.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2015 at 14:10 Quote
cobba wrote:
larrinski wrote:
I just bought a new set of brakes from a friend. I thought I had an 8" (203mm) rear rotor but I was running a 7" (185mm) rotor. My previous brakes were Juicy 5s. My front adapter worked fine as it was also a 203mm size. On the rear I have an IS adapter. On the one side o the adapter it shows 185 with a direction arrow. I couldn't get the rear wheel to mount, so I figure I don't have the correct adapter. But I do have a spare one that says 160/165 to 203mm 8" rotor. I would have thought that would work but it seems to sit at the exact height as my other adapter labelled 185mm?? Do you need to rotate the adapter, get spacers, or a new adapter, to have it go from 185 to 203?

Slow down a bit, your post is all over the place, it's making it hard to understand what's going on .

Keep it simple.

Rear rotor size?
What is the brake that you have?
Your frame has IS mounts?
lol. Cool. Smile
Rear Rotor size. Previous 185mm. New 203mm
I had Juicy 5s, but now have Hygia Aspires.
I'm guessing the rear mount on my '12 Bottlerocket is IS just from what I've read online and what I understand so far. Smile

O+
Posted: May 23, 2015 at 20:30 Quote
cobba wrote:
Simple, you need a rear 203mm Post to IS adapter

A Shimano adapter like the SM-MA-R203P/S would work, you should be able to find one locally.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_569919_-1

* The arrow on adapters points in the direction that the rotor turns
* Rear IS adapters are 20mm bigger then front IS adapters,

* Do not use the cup & cone 'CPS' washers on the underside of your new brakes, they will pack the calipers out too much and the pads will overhang the rotors.

Thanks. The friend got I got the brakes off of, had the correct adapter. Put it on tonight. Problem solved! Thanks for the helpful replies!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009147
Mobile Version of Website