How often do you buy a new dirt jumper or get a new frame ?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
How often do you buy a new dirt jumper or get a new frame ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 25, 2015 at 20:50 Quote
Just curious when you guys get a new bike or frame or when should you buy a new frame

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 22:13 Quote
R-Fraser wrote:
Just curious when you guys get a new bike or frame or when should you buy a new frame

In the past year, I've bought 3(frames, but all of those frames were built into completes. )...About to buy the 4th soon like under 2 weeks from now, because I sold one of my older bikes today. That is because I am an addict

My point is (and I'm not trying to be rude at all) but you don't want to ask the people on this board that specific question. We are freaks that buy stuff all the time. Maybe go by the MBA magazines' standard of 1 every 2 years. Any decent Dj frame SHOULD be able to handle at least that much abuse.

The guy I sold one of my bikes to (just a few hours ago, actually) told me he had an RM flow for over 7 years, doing staircase drops and stuff. Never wrecked it, in the end it got stolen... so who knows, someone might be out there shredding on it right now. I gave my 2005 p2 cromo to my brother years ago, and its still alive. he even left it tied outside to a street sign for THREE YEARS, and its not dead yet.

Needless to say, I have a lot of faith in Spesh frames (-2009p3s) after 10 years of not being able to destroy any of their frames.

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 22:30 Quote
Just curious my norco 125 is from 2004 and it is still good no cracks or dents

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 22:48 Quote
R-Fraser wrote:
Just curious my norco 125 is from 2004 and it is still good no cracks or dents

LOL! Check my profile... I have a slightly modded 250 from 2005. Those 2000- era Norco Hardtails don't quit...I practice 180s on that thing for about an hour every day, and its still fine. I was literally just night riding a few hours ago..

I gave a 2005 Sasquatch (also Norco) to a friend and he still pulls his kids with it in a trailer every day. Still solid.

Havig said all of that- It is generally not recommended by bike manfacturers to ride old, heavily used, frames. Ive seen frames snap on people(more dangerous than it sounds) and te only alternative is to just not go big, or fast, in case your frame fails. Not really worth it. The only reason I rdie my 250 is because I never liked it back in the day, so its only been used about 150-200 times. If it was my ONLY frame in all that time, I would feel the need to replace it.

My recommendation would be a Zircus or 26 player... Just buy the frame, and a fork, and reuse whatever you can, uintil you can afford all new, custom parts. Really, if youre gonna do that, look at a p3 or Trek complete as an alternative... MUCH cheaper in the long run than buying a new crank, wheels, fork, frame, etc....

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 22:52 Quote
The guy i bought it from never really dirt jumped so the forks seals are good and everything fork wise is good changed the oil in it too but the main reason is i dont want to snap my frame dirt jumping which is why i asked because i know after a while a frame is prond to failiure just because of age btw i weigh 200 so should i get a new frame soon

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 5:58 Quote
LOVE that frame. I ran it with 24" wheels and cut the dropouts big time. Was truly my fave MTB frame but a slightly slack HA made me switch. Still kick myself for that. I did change the too high bars and the massive puffy seat, and well, everything but the frame actually.

Yeah, Alu does not have the life expectancy of steel but that will depend on how smooth you are. It will probably be pretty flexed out, a new frame will probably feel much stiffer.

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 14:51 Quote
Ya ive changed a fair amount of things once i change everything i want or mabye before ill probably buy a new frame but for now i guess its good i dont ride hard or anything ive just been getting into dirt jumping this is my first bike

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 14:52 Quote
My first dj that is i have had bmxs and stuff before ahahaha

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 8:52 Quote
I really think a lot of us (myself included) buy new stuff frequently out of boredom. I just like to build new stuff all the time too. So I go through bikes pretty quickly.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009470
Mobile Version of Website