Switched from spd to flats HELP

PB Forum :: Downhill
Switched from spd to flats HELP
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2015 at 1:44 Quote
I have always ridden clips and i decided to try out flats because they require more technique. I can say I was pretty good at jumping but it's a different story with flats. I guess i have the bad habit from clips to pull up with my feet because when i hit a jump my feet come off the pedals slightly mid air and I manage to land back on them. Same with my bunny hops. I try to keep my heels down and it works with downhill but not on the jumps. Can you give me some tips on how to stick to the bike when jumping?

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 5:50 Quote
I don't have too many tips, other than just riding more and trying to re-learn the basics. I was just reading in my son's BMX magazine about the switch in BMX racing to clips in the late 90s, and the author was saying the exact same thing as you; it enforces bad technique and kids riding clips don't know how to jump, bunnyhop, how to make midair adjustments with their feet, etc.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 10:05 Quote
hetfield1 wrote:
I don't have too many tips, other than just riding more and trying to re-learn the basics. I was just reading in my son's BMX magazine about the switch in BMX racing to clips in the late 90s, and the author was saying the exact same thing as you; it enforces bad technique and kids riding clips don't know how to jump, bunnyhop, how to make midair adjustments with their feet, etc.

It's true and I regret starting of with clipless.

Posted: Jun 1, 2015 at 16:34 Quote
Try bending your knees with the bike rather than trying to pull up with them

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 at 19:34 Quote
Top tip I received from a coach was to push both the bars and peddles to wedge yourself into the bike, although i'm sure he explained it better...

HTH!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007945
Mobile Version of Website