Tubeless vs Inner tubes, worth the money of converting?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Tubeless vs Inner tubes, worth the money of converting?
Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 5:58 Quote
I've just ordered a Stan's No Tubes conversion kit. Will be running tubeless ready Maxxis Ardents on shitty no-name Mondraker rims. I'll report back how I get on.

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 7:55 Quote
I'm new to the tubeless world and it's working well for me so far. Chinese Carbon Hookless 35mm Wides, Gorilla tape, Mavic Stems and some Stan's and Maxxis Minions DHF /Dhr2s. The worst part of the set up was getting the Minions on the rims. Seating beads was no problem, and after about 7 or 8 rides in the last 2 weeks I've had no leaks, nor problems. Air pressures haven't changed unless I do it my self. I still carry a tube just in case.

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 8:47 Quote
Crownan wrote:
I've just ordered a Stan's No Tubes conversion kit. Will be running tubeless ready Maxxis Ardents on shitty no-name Mondraker rims. I'll report back how I get on.

i used the stans tape a few times. I much rather prefer using Gorilla tape when lapping to non tubeless rims, seems to hold and conform better to the inner rim surface. Also you can more easily dial in the width of gorilla tape than you could using the stiff stans tape.

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 16:35 Quote
ProChargedZ28 wrote:
Crownan wrote:

i used the stans tape a few times. I much rather prefer using Gorilla tape when lapping to non tubeless rims, seems to hold and conform better to the inner rim surface. Also you can more easily dial in the width of gorilla tape than you could using the stiff stans tape.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind if I come unstuck (pardon the pun!)

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 20:39 Quote
markunit10 wrote:
with tubes, you know whats gonna happen every time. tubeless you might get a flat, you might not.

I think you got them backwards bro.

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 21:34 Quote
kent wrote:
markunit10 wrote:
with tubes, you know whats gonna happen every time. tubeless you might get a flat, you might not.

I think you got them backwards bro.

I think he means, when you get a puncture/pinch on a tube, you know what's gonna happen every time (flat), on tubeless when you get a puncture/pinch, you might get a flat, you might not.

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 at 1:27 Quote
yes, tubes are simple. you get a nail in your tire, you will probably get a flat. some people i rode with before just put stans in their tubes, they claimed it worked great.

someone i went riding with today, couldnt get his tubeless tire to stay on because of a little flat spot or something, he put a tube in to fix it.

tubeless is great for cross country, thats about it. i blew the wire bead out of a tire(ruin a tire, i believe it was a hutchison bulldog ust) at northstar on boondocks picking a bad line. i never will ride tubeless on a dh bike again. i know tons of people that have them on their xc/am bike with no problems.

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 at 11:00 Quote
Try tubeless again, but seriously, buy michelin descent tires. They have the strongest tire casings I have ever tried. There are instances where going tubeless is difficult(heavily dented rim, crooked bead on a brand new tire, not having enough sealant), but monster trucking any rock garden without fear of getting a puncture is just so satisfying. Karpiel, sticks and stones, pho dog, Vietnam... Bring it!!!

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 at 0:18 Quote
So, I went Tubeless. Stan's NoTubes conversion kit on OEM Mondraker wheels and used Maxxis Ardents (Tubeless Ready). All went straight on without a hitch. Almost perfect. Only used a track pump and they seated and sealed with no sealant!

SO PLEASED!

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 1:14 Quote
it will let you down, i guarantee it lol Salute

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 4:46 Quote
markunit10 wrote:
it will let you down, i guarantee it lol Salute

WHAT???

markunit10 wrote:
yes, tubes are simple. you get a nail in your tire, you will probably get a flat. some people i rode with before just put stans in their tubes, they claimed it worked great.

someone i went riding with today, couldnt get his tubeless tire to stay on because of a little flat spot or something, he put a tube in to fix it.

tubeless is great for cross country, thats about it. i blew the wire bead out of a tire(ruin a tire, i believe it was a hutchison bulldog ust) at northstar on boondocks picking a bad line. i never will ride tubeless on a dh bike again. i know tons of people that have them on their xc/am bike with no problems.

I do not disagree with running a slim tube, I have seen them work in that past.

You said a few posts back "someone i went riding with today, couldn't get his tubeless tire to stay on because of a little flat spot or something, he put a tube in to fix it."

Ok so first off," a little flat spot or something" is a very vague description. How you stated it shows that you had no idea what the issue was. "Or something" could have been a non tubeless rim that had huge flat spot combined with a tire bead that was also damaged or not designed for tubeless. In any case, you stated yourself that there was some underlying condition that cased the tubeless setup to fail. "He put a tube in to fix it" Think of this like old school car tires, they had to have tubes, could not go tubeless, but a tubeless tire could use a tube if absolutely needed. Plus, who shows up for a ride with a rig that is not ready to ride?

"i blew the wire bead out of a tire.... picking a bad line." I've blown tires running tubes by picking bad lines too. Should I never run tubes again? What wheels where you running at the time?

"it will let you down, i guarantee it," again your words. How do you plan to back that up with facts to full fill your "guarantee". At this point you sound like a person who has attempted to go tubeless, failed at it and are now disgruntled. I've run my tubeless setup at the park many times now, I've not once had any issue with them. However, with tubes I did get flats from time to time.
My current DH rig is running stock wheels with schrader valve sized cutouts for the tubes. They are not UST, were not meant to be tubeless and are a pain to setup tubeless, so I won't ride them tubeless. I will wait until I have the money to do a proper tubeless setup.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 8:43 Quote
Don't feed the troll.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 14:02 Quote
I had a failed tubeless tyre and the week after a failed tube tyre. Bad luck? Decent tyres are the answer. Big Betty's on my Scott voltage. Downhill abuse with tubes only 1 flat in 2 years. Was quite slow and heavy mind...

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 14:08 Quote
I had a dozen flats all rear running minion dhf in 25 park days last year. Switched to tubeless rear and in the 11 park days this year not a single one except my front but I slahsed the tire thru and also sliced the tube so no setup would have held up.

I've already bought another 823 to build up in the front so I'm full tubeless even tho my 729 up front I could probably get the rest of the season out of.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 14:19 Quote
I rode many trails tubeless with the set up (arrow racing dhh rim, ghetto tubeless, one bottles of stans). I only did the back, the front was just a tube. Eventually it let me down. If you at a bike park, bring some tubes and a tire with you, just incase. I have never got a pinch flat with tubes and 2ply tires, and normally i run 26x 1.75 cheap tubes, about almost the same weight, it's debatable. I stay away 1py tires, I have had about 5 pinch flats with 1py tires (various intense, nevagal). If you are just cursing around your local trails, tubeless is fine. Maybe it's just because I weigh more than the typical rider, idk.

In tubes I trust haha.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013716
Mobile Version of Website