Dirt Jumper Complete for Older Guy?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jumper Complete for Older Guy?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2015 at 23:00 Quote
My son (Cool has just started BMX racing and I'd like to very much join him when he goes out to practice and it looks like these dirt jump bikes might make a great BMX track back for an older guy (5'7", 200lb, 40 years).

A local shop has what appears to be good pricing on 2011 and 2012 Specialized P.1 bikes. Would, or could these be ideal? I think I'd like to add front suspension.

Is there anything else I should consider in the completes? I'm in Canada, in a not so large center so anything by the big brands will be easier to find.

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 3, 2015 at 6:54 Quote
Yes, that's a good idea.

You could also check out:
Haro Steel Reserve
Rocky Mountain Flow
NS Bikes
etc.

If you're okay with a used bike, you can often get DJ bikes in the $450-650 range.

If you add a suspension fork, consider Manitou Circus. Also note that people often run a 20mm thru-axle front hub with a suspension fork; so if you're switching from a rigid fork you're just going to have a 9mm or 3/8" front axle hub.

By the way, I personally think 26" DJ bikes do make great BMX track bikes (even with rigid), in the "cruiser class" but note that in the culture of most BMX racing, the guys at the track will want to steer you towards 24" BMX. They're not wrong--24" is the standard. But I have seen an ex-BMXer turned DJ rider (who was sponsored by Black Market) roast everyone at the bmx track--he sort of put the damper on that argument. A 26" DJ will be more versatile--you can also take it to regular Mtb trails. But if you're thinking bmx track and street only, then maybe look at 24" BMX as well.

Posted: Jun 3, 2015 at 16:14 Quote
Where abouts in Canada? You can definitely get good used bikes, CMC has the drop on what bike or part would be best. 24s are more common on the track but 26 seems to have serious backing, I can't imagine a 26" wheel under my uhhh, well, my 24s have gotten real personal enough times but tracks have changed a lot since I raced.

As far as what wheel size is faster, the NBL started a "super open wheels" class YEARS ago most guys showed up at the gate on 24" wheels, but really I think it comes down more to the riders ability than wheel size and I doubt you could ever get a real idea. In the end, who cares ride what you feel comfortable on. For what you want it's going to be much easier to find a 26" wheeled bike and if you have never raced BMX then you won't have already formed an opinion. You will probably be most comfortable on a 26" wheeled bike anyhow, they are smoother in the air, easier to learn on and easier to go fast on.

Posted: Jun 3, 2015 at 16:28 Quote
ricar wrote:
Where abouts in Canada? You can definitely get good used bikes, CMC has the drop on what bike or part would be best. 24s are more common on the track but 26 seems to have serious backing, I can't imagine a 26" wheel under my uhhh, well, my 24s have gotten real personal enough times but tracks have changed a lot since I raced.

As far as what wheel size is faster, the NBL started a "super open wheels" class YEARS ago most guys showed up at the gate on 24" wheels, but really I think it comes down more to the riders ability than wheel size and I doubt you could ever get a real idea. In the end, who cares ride what you feel comfortable on. For what you want it's going to be much easier to find a 26" wheeled bike and if you have never raced BMX then you won't have already formed an opinion. You will probably be most comfortable on a 26" wheeled bike anyhow, they are smoother in the air, easier to learn on and easier to go fast on.

I'm in Saskatoon. Tomorrow I'm heading out to a Specialized dealer who has a 2011 and 2012 P.1's in stock. They also sell Rocky Mountain so will checkout the flow. And I'm waiting to hear back on a used 2010 P.2. Hoping to checkout the Flow, and perhaps the Haro options. I'm not tied to Specialized by any means, just the stock I've been able to find around hear is leaning towards Specialized.

Anyways, thanks for the input guys.

Posted: Jun 3, 2015 at 17:38 Quote
The Flow always looked like a decent bike but I have never ridden one. It's best not to get too attached until you ride a couple, keeping the options open will always get you a better deal in the end.

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 at 9:49 Quote
Yeah, Flows are decent... Between Norco and RM though I've always preferred Norco. More of a 'street, park, dj' background with them. They've been making 250s and 125s for a really long time, and theyre not very expensive either, especialy the used ones. p3s are great, but as Ricar said, try a few out... I just want to make sure you don't exclude Norco, being from Canada and al..

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 at 10:43 Quote
What do you guys think - gears or no gears? I could see having 9 speed making the bike more versatile, but on the other hand its another to break, and clang around...

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 at 13:18 Quote
jason26yxe wrote:
What do you guys think - gears or no gears? I could see having 9 speed making the bike more versatile, but on the other hand its another to break, and clang around...

Singlespeed is pretty much the standard for DJ bikes. And especially if you're going to the BMX track.

You're right there's the simplicity and lack of maintenance benefit with singlespeed. Even if you went to MTB trails, a lot of them are rideable with singlespeed, and there is a whole scene of singlespeed MTB racers out there. (This might depend on the hilliness in your area).

But, at the same time, 1X9 gearing with a good chain guide and short cage derailleur, like on a 4x bike, really doesn't "clang around" much. Although most of my bikes are singlespeed, I will admit to enjoying the benefits of 1X9 on my road/commuter and on my 4x bike. https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=144510&pagenum=1).

Check out this thread:
26" DJ Bike for BMX Racing?
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=150051

Posted: Jun 4, 2015 at 14:32 Quote
I didn't mean to omit Norco either, I had a 125 and loved it. Had a 250 cromo and not so much.... I only commented on the RM because I have never actually had the chance to ride one. From what I have ridden I liked my Norcos better, but it's not fair to compare a specific, altered, DJ bike to a more all around mostly stock RM.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010613
Mobile Version of Website