Who is riding the Slaughter tire?

PB Forum :: Specialized
Who is riding the Slaughter tire?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 18:52 Quote
Just wondering who here is riding the SBC Slaughter tire?

I'm thinking of putting one on the back of my Stumpy 650B. It came with a Purgatory on the back, and I don't have any major issue with it, but the Slaughter caught my eye!

Currently have some Kenda BBGs on my dual slalom bike and I love them. This Slaughter looks fairly similar, atleast in concept.
I'm more of a momentum rider than a power rider, so carrying speed is what I love and it looks like this tire might be great for that.

So what are some opinions?
Experiences?

Also, what rim width do you have them mounted on?
I'll be putting them on a 35mm wide rim so slightly concerned with it squaring out a bit too much.

Any input here is much appreciated!

Posted: Jun 22, 2015 at 10:25 Quote
I've been running the Grid casing version of it for about a year. Rolls fast, feels drifty in the corners but bites down hard when you lean it over. Mounted on 24mm internal rims. I'm happy with the tire, wish I could get it in a softer compound though. Will probably go with a Maxxis or Schwalbe after it dies.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2015 at 10:27 Quote
I've got one on my Knolly. Great tyre, awesome for for climbing as very little rolling resistance. Like Allen said, it's drifty but will grip when you get on the side knobs, only issue I've found so far is on loose sandy terrain it can be a bitch to try and slow down with.

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 at 21:15 Quote
I've now spent some time riding this Slaughter on the rear of my '16 Stumpy FSR 650b.

I now see EXACTLY what you both mean about "drifty" feeling mentioned above!
It really is, at the mid angle point when first leaning into a turn!
It has caught me off guard at the beginning of a couple rides now!

Rather than transitioning to edge smoothly, it squirms out. It is actually quite disconcerting at first.
After a few good corners, I can start to adapt and get the feel for it though. It seems to help if you just trust it and really lay your weight into it and lean; then it carves.

This was on a mix of hardpack and wet to tacky dirt after a rain (been raining so much here lately it's hard to get out for rides!).

I will spend some more time on it to give it a fair trial.
Kind of curious what a Rock Razor would feel like back to back with the Slaughter in same conditions and on same rim/bike...?

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 5:27 Quote
Running the Grid version for a while now. It can feel a bit drifty but you have to commit to laying the bike down then there is loads of grip. The side knobs are the same as the Butcher so cornering potential is very similar. It certainly has more grip in turns than the Purgatory.

My main problem with it is under braking it tends to lock up easily. You have to modulate the rear brake better and this problem goes away but in damper conditions it can be tricky.

Personally I keep a Purgatory for wetter conditions and swap them out.

As for the Rock Razor I have run the two tyres on the same bike and there isn't much difference. I'd say the Slaughter just shades it.

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 11:56 Quote
^ Thanks for the input.
What width rim are you running yours on? What do you like up front to go with it?
Running yours tubeless? And at what pressure?

Sorry for all the questions, haha...

I'm now wondering at the back of my head if the Grid version might hold shape even better than my regular version, and squirm out less...?

If you are often locking it up too easily, have you considered trying a smaller diameter rotor to increase more modulation feel?

I hear ya on the damp conditions... rode mine on a trail that I thought was going to be dry after some rain, but all the low and shaded spots were still slick clay silt, and the Slaughter packed up down the middle and got very slick and unpredictable. I don't often ride in those conditions though.

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 at 3:30 Quote
On my old bike the rims were quite narrow. Nukeproof Generator TR rims. My new bike has 29mm inner width.

Butcher up front. Can't beat it.

Tubeless of course. F 25-26psi R 28-29psi.

Don't bother with the Control casing. There's no point. Grid is only about 200g heavier per tyre and the Butcher is a softer compound. Support over weight saving anyday.

Run 180mm rotor on the back. Wouldn't go smaller.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010752
Mobile Version of Website