Dirt Jump Bike at Bike Park

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bike at Bike Park
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 15, 2015 at 22:35 Quote
I just wanted to know if any of you have ever ridden your dirt jump bike at a downhill bike Park? I am going to go to my local bike Park (blue Mountain in PA) and I'm going to take my dirt jumper as its my only bike. I'm am a pretty good rider and confident even though the bike only has a rear brake, (I am going to stay off the steep and rocky stuff), but I wanted to know what kind of experiences other people have had.

Posted: Jun 15, 2015 at 23:22 Quote
domeshot93 wrote:
I just wanted to know if any of you have ever ridden your dirt jump bike at a downhill bike Park? I am going to go to my local bike Park (blue Mountain in PA) and I'm going to take my dirt jumper as its my only bike. I'm am a pretty good rider and confident even though the bike only has a rear brake, (I am going to stay off the steep and rocky stuff), but I wanted to know what kind of experiences other people have had.

I have been to Winter Park, Keystone, Steamboat, Vail, Angel Fire, and Whistler. Basically, no one rides DJ hard tails on the mountain. I brought mine the first year, rode it one day, then got a rental DH bike.

There is definitely a massive difference between the older style of rugged DH (roots, rocks, ridiculous steep etc) and flow trail (berms, jumps etc.). But, the thing is, even the flow trail gets pretty bumpy from braking ruts etc. So although there are definitely sections of flow trail you could ride on a DJ hardtail, the overall experience is that you get pretty beat up on a hard tail and even more beat up with a DJ fork. Most people end up needing/wanting full suspension--usually 6"/6" to 8/8". Even my buddy who bought the Specialized P.Slope (4" travel fork, 4" travel rear) found it to be not enough suspension and he kept riding his Comencal DH for the mountain. There are some older school guys who ride Freeride hardtails, like with a 140 or 160mm fork in the front and fat tires front and rear, but that's kinda rare.

So, you should bring it, and try it, but be prepared to rent a bike as well. It's also very worth getting a front brake. Supposedly some mountains won't even let you bring a bike up that doesn't have a front brake (although they didn't say anything when I did it).

Posted: Jun 15, 2015 at 23:32 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
domeshot93 wrote:

I have been to Winter Park, Keystone, Steamboat, Vail, Angel Fire, and Whistler. Basically, no one rides DJ hard tails on the mountain. I brought mine the first year, rode it one day, then got a rental DH bike.

There is definitely a massive difference between the older style of rugged DH (roots, rocks, ridiculous steep etc) and flow trail (berms, jumps etc.). But, the thing is, even the flow trail gets pretty bumpy from braking ruts etc. So although there are definitely sections of flow trail you could ride on a DJ hardtail, the overall experience is that you get pretty beat up on a hard tail and even more beat up with a DJ fork. Most people end up needing/wanting full suspension--usually 6"/6" to 8/8". Even my buddy who bought the Specialized P.Slope (4" travel fork, 4" travel rear) found it to be not enough suspension and he kept riding his Comencal DH for the mountain. There are some older school guys who ride Freeride hardtails, like with a 140 or 160mm fork in the front and fat tires front and rear, but that's kinda rare.

So, you should bring it, and try it, but be prepared to rent a bike as well. It's also very worth getting a front brake. Supposedly some mountains won't even let you bring a bike up that doesn't have a front brake (although they didn't say anything when I did it).

I would like to get a front brake for this kind of stuff but the problem is I would need a new front hub because my current one doesn't not have a mount for a disc. And I'm not willing to drop money on a new hub for a brake when I will only go to a bike Park once or twice a year... This isn't something I will be doing regularly just every once in a while. I understand I will need to go slow and take it easy. Thanks for the advice.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 22:35 Quote
spend the money and rent. you'll have a way better time. I've taken my jumper and it just beats up yourself and the bike

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009573
Mobile Version of Website