Need advice on a bike rack

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Need advice on a bike rack
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 3:50 Quote
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for a while and decided to register to ask a questions and possibly get a good advice.

I am thinking about getting a bike rack and can't decide what to choose for my 14' Ford Explorer.There are roof mounted racks and hitch mount racks. They both have their own pros and cons.

Any suggestions which one to go with?

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 8:39 Quote
How many bikes?

What kind of bikes? (XC, DH, kids bikes, etc..)

What is the intended use? (Long distance travel, shuttling, taking the family to the park)?

Given the height of an explorer, I'd be looking at a hitch rack. But the use would determine which one.

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 at 4:32 Quote
NolanD, height is 67.3 in. I am going to use it for 2 fixie bikes - mine and my girlfriend's. Long distance travel is the main use. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 at 17:07 Quote
If you're just hauling 2 somewhat light bikes with standard dropouts for long distances, I'd go with a roof top mount. IF you comfortable with getting them up there. Once they're loaded they don't get in the way of the hatch, the back view, etc.

I use a rockymounts tierod on my wrx hatch for my road and xc bikes. Nicely made and affordable too if you already have factory crossbars.

I use a swagman quad 2+2 on my Santa Fe for my DH and kids bikes. Sturdy, adapts to different wheel sizes and wheelbases easily, and can convert between 2 and 4 bikes.

There's definitely lots of pros and cons for both. That's why I ended up with both. :-)

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 8:37 Quote
I was researching some hitch mount racks and kinda set my mind on one made by thule.
http://www.carid.com/thule/thule-apex-swing-hitch-bike-rack-32268908.html

Do you know if there is anything I should be aware of before pulling a trigger?

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 13:28 Quote
I just bought a 1up, really nice hitch rack. On the roof for a long distance you can have more wind noise.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 9:24 Quote
MattNismo wrote:
I was researching some hitch mount racks and kinda set my mind on one made by thule.
http://www.carid.com/thule/thule-apex-swing-hitch-bike-rack-32268908.html

Do you know if there is anything I should be aware of before pulling a trigger?

Sorry, can't comment on that rack. I've never considered anything that carries the bike by the frame alone. However, Thule usually makes a quality product. IMO, there are better alternatives out there.

I agree with djii. 1 up makes an excellent rack and the roof mounts do make for more wind noise.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010388
Mobile Version of Website