Octalink BB removal: Just checking before the breaker bar works it's magic

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Octalink BB removal: Just checking before the breaker bar works it's magic
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 6:10 Quote
Hey there!

I'm trying to remove a frozen Octalink BB and want to make sure I'm correct on the order of sides to remove as well as direction.

Reading Park's instructions, I see that the BBs can have a sleeve to be removed first on either the drive or non side. I have a raised shoulder on the drive side of the cup so I'm thinking the first side I need to work on is the opposite (left or non) in a counter-clockwise direction. Once that's out, I need to turn the right or drive side clockwise to remove. Is this correct?

photo

Drive or Right:

photo

Non-drive or Left:

photo

Thanks for your time!

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 7:05 Quote
Right you are, my friend. Before wrenching though, I would soak the area down with WD-40 or something similar. Also, if your bottom bracket tool has BOTH a ratchet drive hole and wrench flats, it can be helpful to thread a bolt and washer into the bottom bracket spindle through the ratchet drive hole to hold the bb tool against the bb cup while you twist with a wrench. It's not unusual for a bb tool to try to cam itself out of the bb under torque, especially if the bb is frozen into the frame, and that looks like a pretty schtuck bb... Best of luck!

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 8:51 Quote
^^^^ all that, also if the tool doesnt have a hole in it for a bolt, put te tool in a vice and set the frame on it and push down as you twist..

I prefer PB blaster over WD for this, but i love WD for other reasons, like my raw chromo frame not rusting fornthe past year with just a wipedown..

Also some heat might help, maybe not paint stripping heat, but heat gun set on low type heat, hotter than a hair dryer.. itll help get the lube down in the threads. .

I would soak it for a few days before making an atempt.. if there's any way of getting PB/WD inside the BB (my Killswitch has a hole in the BB) do so.. aluminum threads, especially fine threads, have a great way of removing themselves in these situations if not carefull and calm... lol

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 11:15 Quote
Thanks very much for your help! Thanks to the wonders of PB Blaster, I was able to get the bottom bracket out Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008638
Mobile Version of Website