Tyres for dirt/trail

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Tyres for dirt/trail
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 16:30 Quote
Easy guys

the title speaks for itself really, the trails are dry and dusty, so ideally the tyre would be able to cope with light density soils and has anyone had any experience with running a narrow tyre on the rear, such a 1.9"?

cheers guys

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 17:27 Quote
Would not recommend 1.9 bigger is better for the front and rear. Just don't be tempted by those new school slics that companies keep pushing

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 18:43 Quote
Yeah man, I'm running FIT T/As which were shocking on the pump track, every time tried to rail a berm my tyres got sketched out completely..

What could be the thinnest I go on the rear?
2"? 2.1?
I'm running a 2.4 up front and a 2.3 on the rear atm but like I said those are street slicks..

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 22:22 Quote
Either is a good rear size. I've found bigger is better but the trade off is a higher bb and a steeper head angle so depending on the frame your running and what you want your numbers to be. I used to run a 2.1 rear now that I switched to a 74 ha frame I could comfortably do a 2.25

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 4:07 Quote
didnt think about BB height!
I think the maximum I'll probably try and keep it to is 2.2 on both ends, or maybe 2.2 up front and 2.1 or 2 on the rear.

what tyres did you run or would recommend?

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 at 9:43 Quote
2.25 fAfs front and rear or 2.3 in rear (they're the same with the tread) or 2.25 aitkens, I couldn't find a rear that I liked with the aitken though, they're good tyres but might be a bit overkill for some. Coming from what you've got on atm the aitken might feel a bit weird but you'd be cool with the fafs

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2015 at 15:37 Quote
Icantbmx wrote:
2.25 fAfs front and rear or 2.3 in rear (they're the same with the tread) or 2.25 aitkens, I couldn't find a rear that I liked with the aitken though, they're good tyres but might be a bit overkill for some. Coming from what you've got on atm the aitken might feel a bit weird but you'd be cool with the fafs

Yeah, I was looking at the Aitken, but do you know if theres much of a difference between the Aitken and the Aitken P-lyte, from what I can find its just the weight, I understand that means a most likely weaker material and casing but you dont exactly run high PSI whilst riding dirt anyway?

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 3:37 Quote
Yeah still wire beads but lighter compound, I'm guessing they wouldn't last as long I've only tried the normal one. I normally run about between 60-80 psi, more 60ish if I'm on dirt. Anything higher than 80 on hard ground I get headaches every time . I might try fly Reuben's next time but it'll be a while yet,.

Oh aitkens come in a nobbly tread as well but I wouldn't try it personally. The normal one is pretty good all round, just not the prettiest! Hard packed dirt is fine on jumps with most tyres anyway it's the berms where you'll notice it most

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 4:54 Quote
who cares about the prettiest when it comes down to dirt and trail tyres though! and yeah, like I said, the T As I was using before, every time I hit a berm I just ran out of grip and could feel the tyres losing control, wasnt fun at all xD

Think i've decided on the Alienation Differential tyre, with a 2.1 Kevlar on the rear and a 2.2 Wire up front, the tread looks really aggressive with side knobs, and positive reviews (and decent prices too, of course)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010240
Mobile Version of Website