Do you put time in the gym?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Do you put time in the gym?
Posted: Oct 17, 2015 at 13:18 Quote
Yeah, it'll be hard to find better training for biking legs than biking, lol. Though a good deadlift certainly makes a difficult climb that much easier. If it takes you that long to recover, change your diet.

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 11:09 Quote
Should be recovered in 1-2 days MAX

if you're not then you're either using poor form which is causing non-muscular strain and causing aching there, or you need to improve your diet programming and sleep more

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 19:12 Quote
harry-h wrote:
Should be recovered in 1-2 days MAX

if you're not then you're either using poor form which is causing non-muscular strain and causing aching there, or you need to improve your diet programming and sleep more

too many variables to claim this. BBB will leave you sore for at least 3-4 as will GVT.
also, CNS fatigue can take a while to recover from too.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 11:49 Quote
I'm begging for BBB to be the "boring but big" assistance from wendler 5/3/1?

That was the best thing that ever happened to my squat haha.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 16:17 Quote
you know it, wendler is a legend. 5/3/1 with Joker sets is the best program I've used personally.

Have you read his newest book?

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 16:57 Quote
I never realised there was a new one, I'll give it a read.

I used Westside with some good success for a long time. I was surprised quite how my I got out of a simpler programme like 531 when I eventually went back.

I've lost interest in competitive stuff now, so having a programme I don't have to think about works so much better.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 17:15 Quote
Yeah, the new one introduces Joker sets, which are basically extra heavy sets of 5, 3, 1 reps (depending on what week you're in) done after your PR set. You add 5% (10% in the 3rd week) to the PR set weight and do more sets until you can't. It helps to add some heavy sets in, which was the main thing I didn't like about the original 531.
He's also set up a few different programs involving extra squat days and the like.

Yeah, I've tried some more complicated setups but always end up making the most progress on 5/3/1.

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 at 4:24 Quote
That's a superb addition.

Guess who's going back onto 531 haha.

I always find with sets of 5 I end up rest pausing something that would be a hard triple into a set of 5. I should probably stop that.

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 at 16:09 Quote
It's pretty good, I like it. Lets you have the choice between going for a huge PR set, or capping it and going for a few heavy sets instead. That familiarity with heavy weights is what was lacking originally with 531 I think.

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 at 17:05 Quote
That was a huge part of the reason I struggled to keep to 531. Westside has you constantly maxing and handling 90%+ and I really enjoy that.

Sounds good though, I'll need to change my programme. (Again)

Ever dabbled with Smolov? Worst weeks of my life.

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 at 18:39 Quote
I haven't touched Smolov, but i tried a few weeks of Kara's 9 weeks of heaven. That got insane so quickly, i stopped when my quad tendon started playing up. it has you squatting 5 days a week, at 80-90% followed by clean/snatch/press work.

Posted: Oct 22, 2015 at 14:13 Quote
Squatted to a max following my standard Westside tonight then backed off with 50%x10x5. Forgot quite how brutal the volume was is on the BBB assistance.

Managed a few more sets of accessory work, so it was a pretty decent session

Posted: Oct 22, 2015 at 16:30 Quote
This is my deload week, so shit all is getting done. I switched to a deload after every two cycles of 531, which for me works much better. Still, I hate heading in, lifting light and leaving feeling like I've got nothing done, so I usually just compress all 4 531 sessions into one or two.

I remember a little trick one of our coaches had us do for oly lifting with BBB. It involved only doing the BBB work, but starting at a 50%x10x5, then working up 5-10kg every week until you were squatting 80-85%x10x5. Usually took a few months, but worked wonders for your squat.

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 4:43 Quote
I know that feeling. Deloads are one of those things everyone programmes then immediately regrets haha.

I really like that idea though. I'll add 10kg next session and see where I get.

Might need longer rests, I always kept to 1 minute rests with 50% since it's pretty light.

Posted: Oct 23, 2015 at 4:53 Quote
All I gotta ask is how far are we going uphill here? Cuz otherwise while squats give you power, your rep range is made primarily for intense bursts of energy as apposed endurance, eh just my two cents.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021039
Mobile Version of Website