Norco a line vs norco shore??

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Norco a line vs norco shore??
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 18:09 Quote
So I'm in a slight dilemma as I don't know who to throw my money at.

I am currently a new dh rider however I come from a background of dj and road biking/xc. Dh biking looks to me like a lot of fun plus I live not 2 hours from whistler.

However, back to my question at hand, I'm currently looking at a 2010 norco shore 3 for 900 dollars and a 2010 norco a line for 1800. The norco a line is right around the corner from my house and in almost brand new shape, the guy bought it for his wife but she's to nervous to dh bike, while the norco shore is slightly less convenient and ridden a little more, that being said it is still in very good shape, he's selling it because he no longer has the time or accessibility to go out riding.

Please respond asap as Idk how fast these bikes will go.
thanks!

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 19:35 Quote
Hey man!

Just to clear some stuff up, what type of riding would you want to do? Since you mentioned whistler, I am getting the sense you want to ride more bike park. I haven't ridden the shore, but I have ridden the a line. What I have learned is that the a line is a bombproof tank. It is a little heavy, but that is a trade-off for having a tough frame. the shore, on the other hand, looks to be more playful. I have hear that it is a more agile handling bike. It also can be pedaled well too. If it were me, I would choose the shore because it would be more playful to ride than a full on DH rig. Also, it has a single crown and less travel front and rear. Hope this helped!

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 19:38 Quote
Also, the shore is 900 dollars cheaper... But do you happen to know the specs list?

EDIT: Just read again... it's a shore 3, so it has the lowest end build. but with that 900 dollars you could upgrade important parts.

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 22:08 Quote
That's kinda what I was thinking, like the shore I think would be a good starting level bike because honestly I haven't mountain bikes in years so who knows I may turn out to really not enjoy it, highly doubtful of course. But having that extra money to upgrade could probably get me the same thing long term.

The biking that interests me is being able to do some medium sized jumps while still being able to get technical with like rock bed downhill slopes and logs

Also I'm beginning to think a beginner such as my self doesn't need essentially a $3000 bike: p

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 at 22:10 Quote
Also what upgrades would you recommend?
If it were your bike for example

Posted: Jul 8, 2015 at 15:13 Quote
Usell1 wrote:
That's kinda what I was thinking, like the shore I think would be a good starting level bike because honestly I haven't mountain bikes in years so who knows I may turn out to really not enjoy it, highly doubtful of course. But having that extra money to upgrade could probably get me the same thing long term.

The biking that interests me is being able to do some medium sized jumps while still being able to get technical with like rock bed downhill slopes and logs

Also I'm beginning to think a beginner such as my self doesn't need essentially a $3000 bike: p

Not just what kind of riding, but where? Do you plan on pedaling up or just lift/shuttle. Be aware that Fromme is pedal only, no shuttle.

The shore is a good bike, just low end. If you're concerned about cost or unsure if you'll stay with it, the shore would work fine. Don't forget to factor in costs like new gear (helmet, pads, etc) and lift tickets. Yeah, DH is expensive.

Like I said in your other thread, I wouldn't buy a 5 yo bike with plans on significant upgrades. Just buy it, ride it, and upgrade the whole bike once you're hooked. The frame on the shore 3 is also lower end and will never be the same as the A-line, regardless of upgrades. If you feel the need to upgrade anything right off the bat, I'd do wheels first, then brakes, springs if needed, and add a telescope seatpost (if required to get the seat high enough to climb).

But again, like I said in the other thread, the A-line is the better DH bike and would be my choice for whistler.

Posted: Jul 8, 2015 at 19:42 Quote
Checking the BikePedia for both those bikes...

I'm taking the A-Line all day.
Significantly better brakes, better suspension on both front and back with more adjusaibility, and the A-Line doesn't have a front derailleur.

If you start upgrading your bike, you're going to spend more than you think once you get going.
On top of all that, not to be sexist or anything, but buying a women-driven bike, it's likely the bike wasn't hucked around like crazy.

Posted: Jul 8, 2015 at 20:47 Quote
Yea that does make sense thanks for ask the advice!

Posted: Jul 9, 2015 at 2:36 Quote
ALL I know is is that Norco Aline won't be light by any means, my Norco Drop 5" beast was 40 odd lbs in weight.

was a shit hot bike at the time for me to jump on mind.

I would get a shore btw. Wink

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013498
Mobile Version of Website