2014 Camber Evo 29: Reba Travel Verification

PB Forum :: Specialized
2014 Camber Evo 29: Reba Travel Verification
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 18:58 Quote
Hi PB.

Looking for help from a few owners of the 2014 Camber Evo 29. The Reba that came with the bike is supposed to be the 120 mm version. Although mine has the stickers that indicate it as such I'm a bit suspicious.

With the bike unweighted, I measure the length of the exposed stanchion from seal to crown at 103 mm. It seems as if most forks tend to have a few additional mm of tube exposed beyond their advertised travel... not 20 mm less. I suspect I have a 100 mm Reba with inappropriate markings.

Could another owner of the identical bike (or two) make a similar measurement and post the results. I'd like to know if I've got a legitimate complaint here.

Thanks.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 17:13 Quote
It sounds like you may have an over-pressurized negative chamber. Try this: put the bike in the stand, take the front wheel out, remove the left side footnut. If you take a flashlight and loot inside, you'll see a schrader valve. Gently poke a 4 mm. allen key in there and depress the valve. This will de-pressurize the negative chamber. The fork should extend, exposing the entire stanchion. Now replace the foot nut (as long as the fork is pressurized, you will not lose the bath oil) and put the wheel back in the bike. Cycle the fork a few times and do a sag check (you may have to add a bit of air because re-pressurizing the negative chamber will pull a little air out of the positive chamber).
If the fork sinks back down, you need to pull the lowers off and replace the seal between the positive and negative chambers.

If you have any questions about any of this, feel free to write me a message.

Cheers!

-David

Posted: Jul 14, 2015 at 8:45 Quote
Thanks David. I'll give that a whirl and report back. I'm curious... it sounds like you've described a dual-air setup. This fork is a solo-air so I'm surprised to hear that I'll find a 2nd Schrader valve hidden at the lowers if I go looking.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 5:50 Quote
ChrisNorfolk wrote:
Thanks David. I'll give that a whirl and report back. I'm curious... it sounds like you've described a dual-air setup. This fork is a solo-air so I'm surprised to hear that I'll find a 2nd Schrader valve hidden at the lowers if I go looking.

I figured it was a Solo Air if it came stock on a 2014 bike. That valve is not intended to be used to pressurize the chamber, only to depressurize it in this sort of scenario.

Posted: Jul 20, 2015 at 6:49 Quote
Worked. Thanks DavidSA. Very helpful.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009566
Mobile Version of Website