Enduro 29 sizing

PB Forum :: Specialized
Enduro 29 sizing
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2015 at 18:01 Quote
Hi all, I've done a ton of searching for info on this and have found a few useful threads but wanted to see if anyone else had input. I've spent quite a bit of time riding a size large enduro 29 comp. I started with the stock stem (70mm?), then 50mm, and now 35mm which I like best. I'm 6' tall and loved the bike but I was riding it in an area with mostly smooth, fast flow type trails in Anchorage, AK. Now I'm living on Kodiak Island and biking every day on steep, rocky rooty, technical trails with long sustained downhills. It's a rare night when at least one of us doesn't go over the bars on some pretty tough spots. I've ridden it quite a bit on a downhill bike (medium 2013 Giant Glory) which is great here but really lacking for climbing back up and for making the little uphill sections on some of the trails. I think the 29 inch wheels of the Enduro will be fun in the super rooty, rocky terrain and am thinking of building one up. I am leaning toward a medium at 6' tall, about 32inch inseam for this tight steep terrain but there aren't any around to demo. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2015 at 15:51 Quote
I would stick to a large for sure! I'm 5'10 and am riding a large 29er enduro. Have been riding pretty much the steepest trails you can get here in Wales and its been amazing. I thought it would be out of place on the tight technical rooty steep trails here and it excels. And then even at the black dh trails at the bike park I swear I felt faster than on my saracen myst dh bike. Epic piece of kit!

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 at 21:11 Quote
I'll post for the 6'3 crowd, I owned the XL andiIt fit well. The sizing was great but at the Comp level the wheel strength is problematic for anyone who weighs in around 200 lb. Also the comp build shock blew out after three weeks riding. I sold the my Enduro 29 and bought the new Stump Jumper Comp 650. The same wheels in 650 are way stronger and have stayed tight but the hubs are a problem in either wheel size. I enjoyed my time on both bikes for the first few months, but things start failing pretty quickly. The geo is amazing but the high leverage on the rear shock coupled with the proprietary shock mounts sucks because when it fails you cant find a spare. Right now I have a blown rear rebound circuit but Id rather ride it than send it back I also have a super loose rear hub to add to my grief. I bought a Specialized bike because I thought they had their bike dialed but at the Comp level they really don't.

Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 15:05 Quote
I'm 6' and run a larger E29 with a 45mm stem. Lots of steep and aggressive terrain. Works great.
I think a medium with a shorter stem for steep stuff will perhaps be too short for you.

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2015 at 8:54 Quote
I'm 5'9 and ride a medium Enduro 29 on Vancouvers North Shore, which is also steep, rough and technical.

Feels like the right sized bike for me.

You can probably ram the seat back and play around with stems to fit on a medium. But my best guess is that you're after a large. If you're on the fence a bigger bike is probably a better choice than a smaller for steep stuff. IMO.

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 at 3:53 Quote
I'm 6'2" and ride a large E29er. I wouldn't consider a medium, the large feels just rigth to me.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2016 at 20:22 Quote
reyno25 wrote:
I would stick to a large for sure! I'm 5'10 and am riding a large 29er enduro. Have been riding pretty much the steepest trails you can get here in Wales and its been amazing. I thought it would be out of place on the tight technical rooty steep trails here and it excels. And then even at the black dh trails at the bike park I swear I felt faster than on my saracen myst dh bike. Epic piece of kit!

Reyno - I'm also 5'10-5'11 and am looking to buy a 2015 E29 in a medium. I know I'm right in between both sizes. Did you try the medium first? I've always owned medium frames, but none with a TT this short. Even thought the reach seems longer than my previous bikes. Thanks!

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 7:29 Quote
Enduros are a tad short with longish stems. At 6' I'd also say large. From 6'3" and up I'd say XL. 2014 ones came with 70mm stem on a large and 90mm on an XL. I think it's 60mm for 2016 for both sizes.

Posted: Jul 30, 2016 at 19:32 Quote
5'10", On a large, 45mm stem, fits perfect.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013164
Mobile Version of Website