Canyon Strive AL 6.0 Race or YT Industries Capra AL 1?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Canyon Strive AL 6.0 Race or YT Industries Capra AL 1?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2015 at 1:43 Quote
So should I go with
Canyon
https://www.canyon.com/en-hr/mtb/strive/strive-al-6-0-race.html

or

Capra
http://www.yt-industries.com/en/products/bikes/enduro/9/capra-al-1?c=92

My mind is more to Canyon because of shapeshifter...since I do have a lot of pedaling to do on my rides!

Thoughts?

thanks

Posted: Jul 15, 2015 at 8:28 Quote
I have exactly the same problem to choose between these two bikes, here are my thoughts :

From what I read, it seems that the YT Capra is more a enduro-gravity oriented bike, and will be able to handle a bit more of bike park rides, but maybe harder to drag on pedalling sections.
On the other hand, the Strive seems to be more efficient on pedalling sections (from the shapeshifter but also from the geometry), but maybe harder to handle on rough sections, with less tolerance on shocks and gaps.

If the major part of your rides are pedalling parts, the strive may be a better choice (even better if you are a "clean" rider on the tracks).

If you are like me, unable to restrain yourself to (badly) jump things during your rides, and more or less want a little gravity bike with enduro efficience during pedalling, the capra seems good.

Hope it helps, if someone could confirm this, that would also help me on my choice. Smile

Posted: Jul 16, 2015 at 3:12 Quote
Yeah...I am not exactly a "clean" rider or a soft rider! I am not big on jumps or anything like that, I'm just really stiff on the bike and not really caring if I strike rocks or roots Smile

Only thing that is really confusing is the Strive Race geometry since it's reach and top tube length are really different than the Capra or the Enduro 650b I am riding now.

Posted: Jul 17, 2015 at 0:10 Quote
It seems that the Race geometry for the Canyon and the Forward Geometry from Mondraker were both requested by Fabien Barel when he was riding for these brands.
Basically, il allow to keep the nervous handling of the direction by allowing to have a very short stem but also to have your weight pushed forward on the bike, by having a longer top tube -> more efficience on pedalling, but a bit more technical in downhill parts of the ride.

What's bothering me right now is that it seems to appear some reliability issues on the shapeshifter (as it's first generation, it's understandable) on the canyon. The capra has a better equipement (both series are 2500€) and less reliability issues, but is a bit heavier to lift on long pedalling section.

Consider between these two that there is also the mondraker dune (more efficient capra with forward geometry, maybe less of a little freeride, 160/160 mm too), and a bit harder to lift than the Strive, because without shapeshifter (2600€).

Posted: Jul 17, 2015 at 7:49 Quote
I got a canyon bike and my comments will be based on canyon as a company.
I've never had any experience with Capra and never ridden any of its bikes.
To the point, canyon won't be there for you only when you're about to buy one. They will be there on whatever you may need afterwards. I've never had any serious problems so far to be honest, and I don't know their support on serious frame issues, such as cracks.
Their response is fast enough. They had a chat option as well but it is disabled for the time being.
While I was doing my research I read a huge amount of canyon bikes' reviews. I got a spectral but I've seen many flattering comments for the strive.
Direct sale companies give you the advantage of the value for money. The spec of the bike is H-U-G-E, given it's price.
However you might be another "victim" of the long-waiting list.
I would suggest waiting for the 2016 models and order one as soon as possible once they come out.
OR
wait for a bargain on the factory outlet. I got my spectral 300 euros less.
A few things didn't reach my expectations though. But they are negligible. Those are : the cockpit that was picked for my bike ( yours comes with renthal so it won't be a problem ), the saddle ( awful ) and the brakes ( avid elixir 5 ).
But after all I pay 1800 and got fox fork and shock, reverb stealth, full xt and race face evolve crank. No regrets. Hope I helped.

Posted: Jul 18, 2015 at 16:00 Quote
Do me a favor and get the canyon. I Would give anything to be able to get my hand on a Canyon but living myself in Canada, it's impossible.

Really like the YT too..

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 5:22 Quote
I have the canyon 6.0 race.

Really impressed with it. Had no problems with it at all so far (fingers crossed) with the shape shifter still working fine.

It's a really solid bike and can take a beating. I find myself never getting out my DH bike any more as the canyon can handle all my local tracks, and actually feels faster on them. Also means I can pedal up rather than push!

I've not tried the YT, so can't compare. But I can say the canyon is a great bike, and can happily run all but the toughest tracks, but still pedals anywhere.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 6:34 Quote
I can't compare with the strive which seems like a sweet deal as well, but my carbon capra pedals very well for the bike it is. I usually don't even bother to switch to the pedal platform of the monarch as can't really tell a difference when seated.
It's a bike that will make me giggle on every ride for a very long time!

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 at 10:41 Quote
Canyon has me on the small frame on the race. I'm usually a medium so a little worried! can someone advise?

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 at 11:00 Quote
Scottydotteril wrote:
Canyon has me on the small frame on the race. I'm usually a medium so a little worried! can someone advise?

The small Race is the same size as a medium (non Race).

If it helps, I have a small race, I'm 5ft 6 with a 30" inner leg and longish arms. I have the Reverb pretty much fully into the frame and it feels great.

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 at 13:21 Quote
If I had this chose I'd most likely go with the Capra, a bit better spec and a fraction lighter!!!

Posted: Oct 17, 2015 at 11:24 Quote
I've Just ordered the Al 6.0 race 2016. A few of my mates have Capra's and they are brilliant bikes. I just wanted to be different and the strive looks the nuts in factory enduro colours.

Posted: Oct 17, 2015 at 12:29 Quote
Nice! I'm sure you'll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 8:22 Quote
Scottydotteril wrote:
I've Just ordered the Al 6.0 race 2016. A few of my mates have Capra's and they are brilliant bikes. I just wanted to be different and the strive looks the nuts in factory enduro colours.

Nice dude! please post some pictures!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013865
Mobile Version of Website