Shimano xt m8000 with Sram 10-42

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano xt m8000 with Sram 10-42
O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 14:52 Quote
so to use an essentially XT M8000 drivetrain with a Sram 10-42 cassette which XTm8000 rear derailleur would i need, the medium cage (GS) or the long cage (SGS)?

Cheers

Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 11:45 Quote
m4fox wrote:
so to use an essentially XT M8000 drivetrain with a Sram 10-42 cassette which XTm8000 rear derailleur would i need, the medium cage (GS) or the long cage (SGS)?

Cheers

Medium! Long cage is for people that have double or triple ring up front.

Posted: Jan 5, 2016 at 11:53 Quote
gozal wrote:
Hi guys!
I enjoyed to read all your comments regarding the shimano - sram 11s compatibility.
I didn't see any note regarding the crank's offset and the compatibility of the sram/ shimano's chains to front chainrings.

is the shimano chain any good with the original sram rings up front and vise versa?

cheers!
Dor.

Any 11speed chain is supposed to be okay but to know if one is better than another, I couldn't tell you. Frown They say that it's good to have the same chain and cassette brand but.....

Maybe with multiple rings (like you seems to have) it could be better with the same brand but I doubt...

Sorry, maybe somebody else can help you!?

Posted: Apr 2, 2016 at 2:46 Quote
Hi!

Just purchased the xt m8000 mech, shifter and shimano 10-42 cassette. Can i use a sram chain as i hear the m8000 shimano chains keep snapping? cheers

FL
Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 11:41 Quote
You can always try a kmc chain...

Posted: May 14, 2016 at 6:22 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
No problems running this set up, and you can go the other way (SRAM 11spd derailleur and Shimano 11spd cassette). As for the chain, any 11spd will do. And yes it will work as if you had a Shimano 11spd cassette, except you'll have a starting 10t cog instead of the 11 of the Shimano.

Hi, I would like to ask - will the XT M8000 Shadow+ 11 speed derailleur really work with 10-42? As the derailleur product description says it work 11 teet up (11t the smallest). I'm really curious, I would love to know it.

And... I'm sorry for basic question, but is the difference between 10t and 11t smallest sprocket noticeable (if run with single ring front setup, 32T)?

Many many thanks! Much appreciate it!

Posted: May 14, 2016 at 9:10 Quote
Dean7 wrote:

Hi, I would like to ask - will the XT M8000 Shadow+ 11 speed derailleur really work with 10-42? As the derailleur product description says it work 11 teet up (11t the smallest). I'm really curious, I would love to know it.

And... I'm sorry for basic question, but is the difference between 10t and 11t smallest sprocket noticeable (if run with single ring front setup, 32T)?

Many many thanks! Much appreciate it!

No problem for the 11spd Shimano derailleur with the 10t cog, even with the old 10spd Shimano derailleur it was fine (ran a 10spd XTR on the 10-42 when my X01 was out to SRAM for a warranty)

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 at 18:12 Quote
Just wondering if anyone can suggest any good free hub body for a SRAM hub so I can use my new XT 11s cassette? My choice is to purchase SRAM cassette but I just got my xt cassette all shimano xt derailler, chain, crank with raceface narrow wide chain ring. I'm new in MTB

Posted: Dec 19, 2016 at 14:21 Quote
Timo82 wrote:
I would like to know if I could put the new 11speed m8000 rear derailleur and shifter on my bike but keep the 10-42 sram cassette? If yes, which chain do I have to use? Will it work as good as if I had a complete shimano or sram groupo?

By the way, it's not really for the 10t but because I'm not sure if I'll be buying new wheels and right now I have an xd driver. And for the XO1 black cassette too.... Shimano will lost a lot of sell just because of that! Frown

It works fine. I ran an XTR 11-speed derailleur with a SRAM X01 cassette and KMC X11SL DLC chain.

XTR M9000 derailleur with X01 10-42 cassette and KMC X11SL DLC black green chain.

Posted: Dec 19, 2016 at 21:13 Quote
Yes I know! Razz Same chain but with xt m8000 and X1 cassette. Sorry for the crappy picture...

photo

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 at 5:12 Quote
I am new to the 1 x 11 thing and like it so far. Right now I have a M-8000 XT 11-42 with the RaceFace 30T up front, running an XT derailleur. I would prefer to run a 10T out back, and am right on the verge of needing a slightly lower gear for the steeps here when I am flagging, but I cannot easily change to a SRAM cassette without a whole new hub/wheel. Oh well!
But my biggest problem was the Shimano chain unwinding off the 42 when backpedaling in techy sections. Very annoying when you're half way thru a near-vertical rock garden with a sheer drop off one side! I just changed for the XX1 SRAM chain and the problem has vanished... "poof!" Just like that! Shifting sweet as ever, and a powerlink which I always prefer!

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 at 11:14 Quote
rockerc wrote:
I am new to the 1 x 11 thing and like it so far. Right now I have a M-8000 XT 11-42 with the RaceFace 30T up front, running an XT derailleur. I would prefer to run a 10T out back, and am right on the verge of needing a slightly lower gear for the steeps here when I am flagging, but I cannot easily change to a SRAM cassette without a whole new hub/wheel. Oh well!
But my biggest problem was the Shimano chain unwinding off the 42 when backpedaling in techy sections. Very annoying when you're half way thru a near-vertical rock garden with a sheer drop off one side! I just changed for the XX1 SRAM chain and the problem has vanished... "poof!" Just like that! Shifting sweet as ever, and a powerlink which I always prefer!

That's because SRAM uses narrow-wide teeth on their pulleys.

Posted: Jan 14, 2017 at 14:40 Quote
seraph wrote:
rockerc wrote:

Just put my hands on XO1 and XX1 derailleurs, regular teeth. SRAM chains, if you feel them, have more twist, and so when you put them on those extreme ranges, they're better at not falling off those big sprockets. The sacrifice is that they tend to not last quite as long *shrug*

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 0:36 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
seraph wrote:
rockerc wrote:

Just put my hands on XO1 and XX1 derailleurs, regular teeth. SRAM chains, if you feel them, have more twist, and so when you put them on those extreme ranges, they're better at not falling off those big sprockets. The sacrifice is that they tend to not last quite as long *shrug*

My GX has narrow wide pulleys, and my XX1 did as well.

photo

You can clearly see them in this photo, too

photo

Posted: Jan 15, 2017 at 3:18 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
seraph wrote:
rockerc wrote:

I'll trade a little longevity for being able to ride uninterrupted by drive issues!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019098
Mobile Version of Website