Switching to 24'' Is it worth in my case?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Switching to 24'' Is it worth in my case?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 22, 2015 at 7:37 Quote
As I have little experience riding different styles I think it is time to listen some advice from more experienced.

I started off mountain biking about 4 years ago. Since then I have mostly just ridden whatever I have had chance to. Mostly streets and small lines and trails on my full suspension bike. Oh yea and I am living in a small country in Europe that is rather flat so keep it mind Wink Half a year ago I went down really bad on big drop and was off riding for 6 months. That's when I decided to give a hardtail a go cause it seemed to be good idea to keep myself rolling while having an injury. Since then I loved the hardtail.

At the moment I am riding Scott voltage which is pretty much dirt set up, but I mostly manual it on streets and have had chance to ride a local skatepark for couple of times. And yes, you're right...those parks are really small ones. I love the frame...it is total allrounder for me and suits my freeride status but.. Since I am not riding my hardtail on dirtpark cause of my injury anyway (read cause i don't have balls Big Grin ) and am looking for mostly street/park riding and also hit some bmx tracks sometimes I was wondering if it worth to switch to 24'' wheels. I can definitely feel that 26'' is a bit much for roll ins in small skateparks as well small wheels would benefit on bmx tracks. On the streets they would probably come handy too cause of faster rolling.

I pretty much like Dartmoor 24player. I assume that its geometry is not too extreme for any particular type of riding and can handle well street, park, pumptracks, little 4x and dirt if necessary. But it is just my thought. Tell me I am wrong? Smile

Posted: Jul 22, 2015 at 13:58 Quote
ARE13 wrote:
As I have little experience riding different styles I think it is time to listen some advice from more experienced.

I started off mountain biking about 4 years ago. Since then I have mostly just ridden whatever I have had chance to. Mostly streets and small lines and trails on my full suspension bike. Oh yea and I am living in a small country in Europe that is rather flat so keep it mind Wink Half a year ago I went down really bad on big drop and was off riding for 6 months. That's when I decided to give a hardtail a go cause it seemed to be good idea to keep myself rolling while having an injury. Since then I loved the hardtail.

At the moment I am riding Scott voltage which is pretty much dirt set up, but I mostly manual it on streets and have had chance to ride a local skatepark for couple of times. And yes, you're right...those parks are really small ones. I love the frame...it is total allrounder for me and suits my freeride status but.. Since I am not riding my hardtail on dirtpark cause of my injury anyway (read cause i don't have balls Big Grin ) and am looking for mostly street/park riding and also hit some bmx tracks sometimes I was wondering if it worth to switch to 24'' wheels. I can definitely feel that 26'' is a bit much for roll ins in small skateparks as well small wheels would benefit on bmx tracks. On the streets they would probably come handy too cause of faster rolling.

I pretty much like Dartmoor 24player. I assume that its geometry is not too extreme for any particular type of riding and can handle well street, park, pumptracks, little 4x and dirt if necessary. But it is just my thought. Tell me I am wrong? Smile

The Dartmoor 24player would be a good choice if you want to try out a street/park/bmx-track 24".

Posted: Jul 22, 2015 at 14:42 Quote
I much prefer 24" wheels to 26s but that's just me. You may switch to 24s and hate them but it really depends on what you are looking for and your own riding style and preference are. I find 26s to flexy and in the way, even my 24s get too personal on occasion but I like how smooth they are on the ground and in the air compared to 20s. I would suggest trying 24s based on my own opinion but if you like them better or not will be personal.

Posted: Jul 23, 2015 at 4:45 Quote
Thanks. Well this means eventually only one. I have to find somebody who rides 24 and go ride with him. Give it a try and see how smaller wheels feel. I am sure you can find out pretty quickly if they work with your riding or not.

If they feel good I am going to sell my 26'' and start looking into 24''. I dig that 24player even though I havent ridden one. I like the geometry and beefed frame. Any other suggestion on similar frames?

Posted: Jul 23, 2015 at 16:57 Quote
The problem with someone else's bike is you ride with their setup. You may not like the setup. Basically you will get a noticeably lighter feeling bike (all things being equal) because of a lower rotational mass, it will feel stiffer but based on your set up general riding may not feel much different. The biggest difference will be when you are in the air or trying to spin, a straight air would not be that much different depending on the frame you have compared to the one you get.

I would say go for it, but that's me. IMO they are a better choice for street.

Posted: Jul 23, 2015 at 21:02 Quote
Yea mate you're right. But since I am going straight in the air anyways with my level of skills at the moment. Maybe I am going trough in my bar and stem if it feels too unnatural to make any conclusions.

When you talking about spinning, then yea. I have very little experience but i would definitely try out some stuff and I think 24 will make the effort a bit more less Smile

I am going to give my bike a go on bmx track and streets this weekend and just give it another thought. Looking around for 24 already though.

Posted: Jul 24, 2015 at 19:49 Quote
Cool! I love bike shopping.

Posted: Aug 4, 2015 at 2:58 Quote
I'm in the process of going back to 24 after a short dabble on 26 and a few years on bmx. It's a small scene, but a perfect balance between sluggish and too nimble

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010056
Mobile Version of Website