Tips on jumping

PB Forum :: Downhill
Tips on jumping
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 2, 2015 at 20:57 Quote
Hey guys, so its my second year riding, and Im getting the hang of things pretty quickly. Lately Ive been doing some jump trails at mountain creek bike park, and all of the jumps seemed easy and kind of small, except for this one trail called dominion which is pretty much a bunch of big table tops (around 7 ft high and 15 ft out give or take on a few jumps). The thing is, i only cleared about one jump, and on the rest of them i just landed on top. I know that Im supposed to push into the lip and pop up or whatever, but the lips are very steep, and its not really working. Im going pretty fast, but im guessing not fast enough? should i just let the speed take me through the jumps? whats a good way to clear all of them?

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 3:13 Quote
Probably your body located far behind the seatpost, try to be in the middle of the bike. With pushing the lip you should also push out your body up above the bike.

There is another possibility that you are pushing the lip not strong enough. Try to give hard short stroke In the middle of the lip, in this way suspension will launch your bike.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 20:23 Quote
idk man, the lips are pretty well built cause i see people whipping on them all the time. Im pretty sure that im just not hitting them fast enough. Ive only done the trail a few times, and i didnt really do it at full speed, so that might be the problem. Im just not used to hitting jumps that big yet comfortably yet

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 23:32 Quote
im struggling with that same trail man Razz

if you come with a lot of speed from the lift are, the first 2 tables are easy, the other 3 you need to pump the rollers in between and pump HARD into the lip, as they are much steeper than the first 2

Posted: Aug 4, 2015 at 14:52 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
im struggling with that same trail man Razz

if you come with a lot of speed from the lift are, the first 2 tables are easy, the other 3 you need to pump the rollers in between and pump HARD into the lip, as they are much steeper than the first 2

Same here. I have never gotten use to steep pitched jumps. You definitely have to carry more speed than you think. Try to follow someone that has knows the trail so you know how much speed is needed. I was following someone and was able to clear the third.

Maybe one day, a flow trail will be built at mtn creek.

Posted: Aug 4, 2015 at 16:42 Quote
Haha good to see someone feels my pain. I was actually riding with some older guys this weekend, and they took me to some old trails behind the lake, where everything was built like 500 years ago. So i followed them down dominion, but i was kinda scared at first because im not used to getting that much air Rolleyes Also another problem is that my dumb ass did lower dominion first, where the jumps are way taller, and got intimidated, so i was scared to do the upper part. I dont know man, i guess after a few runs ill be okay just like on every other trail. The one thing that gets to me though is that first gap on salvation with the banana bridge. I always feel like im not gonna make it... whatever man, thanks guys. hope to see you there some day
tup

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2015 at 18:13 Quote
matthewzink wrote:
Haha good to see someone feels my pain. I was actually riding with some older guys this weekend, and they took me to some old trails behind the lake, where everything was built like 500 years ago. So i followed them down dominion, but i was kinda scared at first because im not used to getting that much air Rolleyes Also another problem is that my dumb ass did lower dominion first, where the jumps are way taller, and got intimidated, so i was scared to do the upper part. I dont know man, i guess after a few runs ill be okay just like on every other trail. The one thing that gets to me though is that first gap on salvation with the banana bridge. I always feel like im not gonna make it... whatever man, thanks guys. hope to see you there some day
tup
i feel you, i still havent gotten the balls to hit the banana bridge on my bike. i did it today on a rental dh bike and it was pretty fun

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2015 at 13:33 Quote
I ride at mountain creek regularly and love the upper / lower dominion trails. I think the key is to break down the trial to one jump at a time. The 4th jump on upper dominion is great but it can put you forward easily. i recommend hitting it a few times at slower speeds, roll it and get the feel for the lip. The way i see jumping a bike is to "step" into the pedals at take off while being center balanced on the bike. smaller jumps are the best way to figure out this timing. So after you get more confidence, after clearing the 3rd jump in upper dominion cleanly, no brake the 4th and most importantly RELAX your mind and body.

Global MTB network calls it bunny hopping but i feel like its more pushing down of the pedals at take off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1wErP4Rb4

Posted: Aug 5, 2015 at 15:18 Quote
yeah man ive watched that video multiple times lol but thanks. I think next weekend im going to dedicate a whole day to just that trail to get a good feel for it

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 at 7:43 Quote
Get a Bmx bike and learn to jump on that. I see a lot of mtb guys that don't have the mechanics down. Learn to ride ryythem sections slower and slower and you'll have no probs on the mtb jumps (just gotta pre-load the mtb).

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 at 11:05 Quote
matthewzink wrote:
yeah man ive watched that video multiple times lol but thanks. I think next weekend im going to dedicate a whole day to just that trail to get a good feel for it

defs do this, just stay loose and comfortable in the air, those tables have some float time

Posted: Aug 7, 2015 at 14:05 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
matthewzink wrote:

defs do this, just stay loose and comfortable in the air, those tables have some float time

I know they do lol, the first time i hit them i thought i wasnt coming down. The only thing that bothers me is sometimes in the air i start leaningg forward any i end up almost going over the bars, but that doesnt happen often. But yaeh i think im gonna dedicate a whole day to it to get the feel. thanks

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 13:30 Quote
if your uncomfortable just work your way up to it. If your not clearing something then bunnyhop off the lip itll boost the hell out of you though!
i mean you gotta know when to go hard and when to not. i got a fractured sternum from tryin to launch little 6ft kickers.
your guys trails sound sweet though!

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 16:44 Quote
Thanks man. I wouldve worked my way up to them, but theres not that many levels of jumps. Its either pathetic and small or huge, so there isnt much room for learning. I can comfortably do almost every jump on the mountain except for that trail and the 50 footer on the pro grt track. the problem with the big jumps is im not used to being that high or in the air for that long, so im bad at controlling them and feel like im gonna go over the bars

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 23:49 Quote
It also could be your suspension (too soft) this can cause you to loose speed

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012004
Mobile Version of Website