Mountain Creek, Vernon, NJ - Want to try out AM and Downhilling

PB Forum :: Downhill
Mountain Creek, Vernon, NJ - Want to try out AM and Downhilling
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 9:22 Quote
Good Afternoon,

Some history: I have a motocross background and currently ride a Giant Anthem X2 (XC bike) . Since moving to the US, I see there is a lot more accessibility to a variety of different MTB disciplines.

I really want to explore downhilling and more so AM!!

I see Mountain Creek offers a 2hr coach lesson for downhilling which includes rental, but I feel for the same amount of money I could get a full day rental and give the various courses a go on my own. Obviously starting with easier and hopefully progressing.

Is there anyone or a group on this site who I could maybe join for a day and see what it's all about?

Thanks

Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 9:54 Quote
I won't be out there again until Sept when it cools down a little, but if you have a moto background I am sure you can go out on your own. Rent a DH bike, start easy and small and you will be progress to bigger stuff faster than you think. It's nice to ride with other folks though. Hit me up in the fall and we can meet up.

Posted: Aug 26, 2015 at 13:18 Quote
I just spent last weekend there on a rental bike. If you are coming from a moto background you will be just fine. I have been riding for a lot of years but never DH and I didn't have a problem. I wasn't half as fast as a lot of people there, but that's ok. For the most part everyone is friendly. Rent one of their bikes and get a discounted lift pass with it, I wouldn't bother with the DH lesson if I was you. The bikes are pretty decent, just make sure you get one that doesn't have garbage tires or breaks. Do it and have some fun!

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 5:16 Quote
Thing is with a lesson you get local knowledge of trails and tips that aren't intuitive with MX. There is a ton in common with moto but also a bunch of techniques that are opposite i.e. leg work. Squeeze a moto but mtb open knees and steer with hips. I know a few of the guys that teach at the creek and they are worth the $$.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 5:18 Quote
also, wear full pads at the creek, its known as the "cheese grater" for a reason. unreal place to ride that aside.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 19:45 Quote
[Quote="eiiic"]also, wear full pads at the creek, its known as the "cheese grater" for a reason. unreal place to ride that aside.[/

this.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009240
Mobile Version of Website