First full face helmet

PB Forum :: Downhill
First full face helmet
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 1:01 Quote
Hello all. I recently rode some DH trails and freeridey stuff for the first time and really enjoyed it. I'll be joining our local club which has its own mini bike park and will be riding this sort of thing a lot more. I want to get a bit of kit more suitable for the task. Therefore looking to purchase my first full face helmet. I can't afford to blow the bank, but there do appear to be some good budget options out there. I have found some tempting offers on various online shop all under £50 and wondered if anyone would like to offer opinions/advice/guidance.

Some points that might be worth considering -
-Large noggin (60cm), appear to be between L and XL on sizing charts
-Wear glasses and don't get on with contacts, so likely to be riding with glasses most the time.

Options I have found so far (all have good user reviews)
- Fly Racing Default
- 661 Comp
- IXS Phobos Anchor/Streamline

What do you lot reckon?

Cheers

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 3:42 Quote
My vote goes for the 661 Comp, it was my first full-face before I replaced it with a last year model TLD D3. The Comp was extremely comfortable and light at around 900ish grams. I don't think you can go better as a first helmet to be honest.

Edit: I also wear glasses when riding and it fit quite snug when I wore them. It all depends on your glasses frame, as long as your frame legs are fairly near to the side of your face you'll be fine (I've seen people wear frames where the legs branch out quite a lot).

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 4:29 Quote
I have the 661 comp. Was, still is my 1st full face. Handled everything I have done, including a week to Morzine just last week. Double D link fastener is the only part I didn't like but got used to that now.

Can't comment on the glasses part of things.

Cheers

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 5:22 Quote
I have the fly racing default and as it not my first full face I absolutely love it. It's super light and fits really well. The only part I cannont comment on is the glasses as I don't wear glasses sorry. But apart from that I love it!

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 5:34 Quote
Ive heard the seven idp ones are good my dad has the fly one and reckons its brilliant

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 6:36 Quote
The O'Neals with the magnetic closer are a good budget choice, especially if your doing uplift days and continually taking the helmet off and on for the landrover/bus up.

Cheers

Mark H

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 6:53 Quote
Adamknowles wrote:
I have the fly racing default and as it not my first full face I absolutely love it. It's super light and fits really well. The only part I cannont comment on is the glasses as I don't wear glasses sorry. But apart from that I love it!

Does it fit true to the sizing chart on CRC? At the larger end of L, so didn't know whether to up size to XL? It does look great for the money....

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 8:41 Quote
I see you are UK.
I went for a kali avator, this place are selling the original ones for a ludicrously cheap £50. Much better quality helmet that the 661 for less money.

http://www.edgeactionsports.co.uk/collections/kali-special-offers

Posted: Aug 21, 2015 at 15:35 Quote
Thanks for the advice guys. Those Kali carbon ones look ridiculous value at £50! Too late though, I have ordered a Fly Racing Default from CRC in the sale. Can't wait! Love getting new stuff...

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 12:02 Quote
hamplanet wrote:
Adamknowles wrote:

Does it fit true to the sizing chart on CRC? At the larger end of L, so didn't know whether to up size to XL? It does look great for the money....

Well I tried in my mates medium 661 and used that as a guide. I also wear a hard hat at work which has got the sizes on the adjuster band which matches the sizes of the fly helmet sizes.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 at 21:22 Quote
I got the 661 comp get helmet it's my first dh helmet.
Been really good, light weight, fits nice and breaths really well. And doesn't blow the bank compared to some dh helmets.
My experience with the 661 comp helmet has been great.

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 at 21:24 Quote
Crap didn't read all the comments didn't see you bought whoops
Enjoy the helmet and ridding

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 16:32 Quote
I have the 661-Full Carbon. Of course light weight but comfortable as well. I sweat a lot and the helmet "Breaths" very well for full face. To compare, my Dirtbike Helmet is Fox V-2 Race helmet. The 661 is way lighter and allows more air through it. Speaking of sweat I can ruin any helmets foam especially the thin outer layer. The 661 has held up better than most bicycle helmets that I have worn.

Fortunately, I have NOT crash tested it yet. I do vote in favor of the 661 helmet though.

Happy Trails.

David Matthew

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010691
Mobile Version of Website