Chinese Brake Pads

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Chinese Brake Pads
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 23:21 Quote
So I recently blew through my organic pads on my shimano BR-M395 hydros, so I hit eBay to look for some deals on brake pads. I found two pairs of no name chinese sintered pads for $15 shipped. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with chinese pads, specifically sintered pads. I am afraid of them failing. Anything would be appreciated.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 18:26 Quote
It's not like brake pads are that expensive. Might as well go with a trusted company since you're gonna save a huge chunk of money getting no-brand ones.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 20:03 Quote
foobajoob wrote:
It's not like brake pads are that expensive. Might as well go with a trusted company since you're gonna save a huge chunk of money getting no-brand ones.

Well, I actually am saving a huge chunk of money, because I am a student and I am on a tight budget. I was just asking for people's experiences with chinese pads, so I can know what to expect. ie are they better than the stock pads.

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 20:20 Quote
My guess is that they'd be at best comparable to stock pads. Definitely wouldn't expect them to be better. The biggest issue with the no-brand chinese components is that the quality isn't as controlled and consistent as the products that have to have a big brand name put on them. So you could end up with a good batch, and have a good set of pads for super cheap, but you could also end up with a bad batch and you're just kinda screwed. So the cheaper price is enticing, but comes with higher risk.

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 17:12 Quote
foobajoob wrote:
My guess is that they'd be at best comparable to stock pads. Definitely wouldn't expect them to be better. The biggest issue with the no-brand chinese components is that the quality isn't as controlled and consistent as the products that have to have a big brand name put on them. So you could end up with a good batch, and have a good set of pads for super cheap, but you could also end up with a bad batch and you're just kinda screwed. So the cheaper price is enticing, but comes with higher risk.

Kudos. Any past experiences?

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 8:18 Quote
No I haven't used any of the no-brand chinese pads myself, but those quality issues seem to be pretty consistent across most chinese components. You can get lucky and have a good product for super cheap, or get unlucky and have to decide whether to buy chinese again or drop the extra cash to get a brand name component. You should also look at third party companies that just make pads for all brake brands. They tend to actually be a little less expensive than the pads directly from the brake manufacturer.

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 12:47 Quote
+1 on Consitancy, know some to work brilliant and the the exact same ones from the same order do nothing. IMHO iv given up looking for cheap replacements they never constantly match oem stuff so end up spending just as much anyway. You may get lucky but don't bank on it

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 20:28 Quote
Yeah i am assuming all the risk of getting a bad batch, but i dont exactly have the money to buy brake pads anymore. I usually buy discobrake sintereds. 4 pairs for $50. Fingers crossed, seriously.

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 20:38 Quote
how about you get em, and tell us how they are. I think my last pair of pads were like 25$ from my lbs. I dont understand this great deal your getting. by the time it ships your deal is gone

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 21:31 Quote
I will give an update. I thought that two pairs of sintered pads for $15 was a steal.

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 at 17:01 Quote
Keep this bookmarked for your next set. Been buying these for years for different configurations with no conflicts or complaints.

http://www.discobrakes.com/

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 at 17:21 Quote
XCMark wrote:
Keep this bookmarked for your next set. Been buying these for years for different configurations with no conflicts or complaints.

http://www.discobrakes.com/

Yeah I already have them in my bookmarks, I usually always order from them by default. I was just running low this month.

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 18:42 Quote
Update: My pads just got here. I ordered 2 pairs of sintered pads from "alpha cycling" on ebay (the ones with a yellow back plate), and for $15, I am thoroughly impressed. The modulation and power in on par with EBC golds, which are usually my go to pads. Again, this may just be a good batch, but ill buy another pair for a consistency test. There is tons of braking material on the pads, and they have lots of power, and surprisingly, better modulation compared to the stock resin pads.

Things are looking good Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2018 at 8:28 Quote
This aftermarket Formula T1 pad separated straight out of the envelope. Imagine if it had separated on a fast downhill.
Pad separated from backing straight out of the envelope.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014890
Mobile Version of Website