Hanzz with saint rear shifter?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hanzz with saint rear shifter?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 5:00 Quote
Hi Pinkbike forum!
So I have a Cube Hanzz from 11 and I think my rear derailleur has been bent or damaged in a minor crash I had.. On the lowest jockey wheel the chain is "jumping" off off it - but is still rideble.
The thing is - it is an old gear and are beginning to show that so I was thinking it was time for a new rear derailleur and is thinking about buying a Shimano Saint Shadow +. I just wanted to know if it is possible? The Hanzz I got is a 9-speed but as I can see others write this shouldn't be a problem?!
I should be able to fit the shadow on no problem right?

Cheers from Denmark

Posted: Sep 2, 2015 at 5:56 Quote
No you won't. The Shimano shadow+ derailleurs are 10spd, and won't work on a 9spd drivetrain with a 9spd shifter.

Some of the choices are :
- if the cassette/chain has seen some miles and are at the end of their lifespan, then it would make sense to buy a derailleur + shifter + chain/cassette (and eventually chainrings if they are worn out
- chain/cassette are recent and in good nick, and you want a shadow+ derailleur, then you could ghetto your way out by using a Shimano shadow+ 10spd derailleur with a SRAM 9spd shifter (an X9 shifter is quite cheap for example). It works, especially on 1-by drivetrains, not 100% as good as a full 9spd derailleur/shifter combo, but pretty close.
- buy a 9spd derailleur, definitely the cheapest option but no clutch mechanism for you

One thing to keep in mind, is your current derailleur medium or short cage ? The Saint M820 only comes in short cage, and depending on the cassette and frame (with the chain growth value), a short cage derailleur may just not work. If you run some wide ratio cassette, you definitely will need a medium cage derailleur.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019713
Mobile Version of Website