Painting The Rims Of Your bike??

PB Forum :: Beginners
Painting The Rims Of Your bike??
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 16:13 Quote
alright well heres the story, i figured i would do a test rim, so i stole my little brothers bike and hes like 7 so i doubt he care, and yeah i did everything i taped the spokes, but the white became a darker colour? did i spray enough? cause like you said i dont want to over spray or it starts to get "heavier"

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 16:15 Quote
did you spray primer

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 16:16 Quote
setup wrote:
alright well heres the story, i figured i would do a test rim, so i stole my little brothers bike and hes like 7 so i doubt he care, and yeah i did everything i taped the spokes, but the white became a darker colour? did i spray enough? cause like you said i dont want to over spray or it starts to get "heavier"

you have to put on a light coat of white first, let it dry, then apply another coat of white until it become a nice solid white. But don't overdue the layers, too much and it'll become too "heavy" Smile
Oh and don't forget to prime it either.

And it might be a result of bad paint quality?

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 17:01 Quote
nagelk wrote:
i really wanna paint mine but i want to keep the stickers on it.. any ideas of how to keep the stickers in good shape?

I peeled mine off and stuck them somewhere on my comp desk, than just put them back on when your done painting...

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 9:58 Quote
IM GONNA PAINT THE RIMS ON MY BMX WHITE SOON

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
stupid question, but what is primer

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
hardtail-rider wrote:

Taken from Wikipedia/Google Definition

bigquotesA primer is a preparatory coating put on materials before painting. Priming ensures better adhesion of paint to the surface, increases paint durability, and provides additional protection for the material being painted.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
jallan wrote:
hardtail-rider wrote:

Taken from Wikipedia/Google Definition

bigquotesA primer is a preparatory coating put on materials before painting. Priming ensures better adhesion of paint to the surface, increases paint durability, and provides additional protection for the material being painted.
thanks

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
ok i began to prep my wheels for paint (sun add and bontrager earl) I hit them with some 150 sand paper and it only scuffed them a little bit. Im not sure if the rims are anodized or not. So can someone please tell me if they are anodized and if so how i would paint them

Posted: Apr 24, 2008 at 17:58 Quote
ok im completely done painting me wheels. I did primer, paint, then clear

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 21:43 Quote
jallan wrote:
snoppy647 wrote:
Yes, I've done the same thing with my old wheels. Best way to paint them is using a airbrush with rust paint. I have used that to do my old wheels and it worked out great, and I used Green Painters Mate Tape (36mm x 55mm) on the spokes and nipples. I did two coats and it was well done. Rode them for 2 months and no chips came off.

Did you use a primer ? And did you coat it?

Curious myself to see what products people actually use.
did you guys take off the old paint before putting the primer on?

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 5:57 Quote
does the paint wear off very easily?

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 7:34 Quote
Scottkona wrote:

If you paint them right, with primer paint then clearcoat it doesnt, I actually deanodized my rims and got them down to bare aluminum before I painted, but many rims are painted so u just have to hit them with sandpaper.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 11:22 Quote
kirk724 wrote:
Scottkona wrote:

If you paint them right, with primer paint then clearcoat it doesnt, I actually deanodized my rims and got them down to bare aluminum before I painted, but many rims are painted so u just have to hit them with sandpaper.
does it take very long to do?(how amny days)

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 11:54 Quote
Scottkona wrote:
kirk724 wrote:
Scottkona wrote:

does it take very long to do?(how amny days)

If you take your time and do it right it takes about 3 days

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.018903
Mobile Version of Website