Difficulty removing cranks, blown BB

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Difficulty removing cranks, blown BB
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 6, 2015 at 15:58 Quote
So first off, I just bought a BMX after having been out of the MTBMX game for 4 years. But I have a slight problem...

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to bikes and cars, but I'm at a loss with removing these cranks. They're three piece, and I completely removed the pinch bolts and the spindle bolts...and the arms won't move. I've hit them, pulled on them, sprayed them with pen oil - they won't move. The non-drive side one has some play both about the spindle and along the length, but it won't move.

Am I missing something?

Couple notes: I've tried gently spreading the crank where the pinch bolt is - nothing. Also, the BB is blown. Not sure what type of BB it is, but it is most definitely f'ed. Like proper f'ed.

Help? haha.

Posted: Sep 6, 2015 at 23:30 Quote
A lot of bmx cranks are sold with a proprietary crank arm puller, bike shops should have them.

One thing to try is a suitable wedge to pry as you hammer

Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 7:19 Quote
Alright, so this is normal eh? That's good to know.

I was trying to thread into the spindle and place a wrench between the bolt and arm to pull the spindle out, but that failed. Also tried hammering on a socket placed on just the end of the spindle. Nothing. Maybe I'll try hitting it harder...

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 12:34 Quote
human-after-all wrote:
A lot of bmx cranks are sold with a proprietary crank arm puller, bike shops should have them.

Yep.

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 9:14 Quote
Got it sorted. Had to hammer a chisel into where the arm pinches the spindle. Then a good hit with a rubber mallet knocked it off.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013292
Mobile Version of Website