Rockshox Lyrik compression damping question

PB Forum :: SRAM
Rockshox Lyrik compression damping question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 23:38 Quote
Hey guys,

I just recently picked up a bike from a fellow PB'er with a Rockhox Lyrik air fork with a Mission Control damper. I'm going to take the bike in this week to get serviced and looked over but I had some questions about the compression damper adjustment.

First, when I turn the LSC knob, there should be a noticeable difference in the way the fork compresses just on flat ground using my body weight and gravity, correct? I cranked the knob counterclockwise until it stopped, bobbed on the forks, then cranked it clockwise, bobbed on the forks, and noticed no difference. I was trying to figure out which direction did which, but there was no noticeable difference.

Secondly, the same should be with the HSC knob, no? Again, same thing with this. I didn't notice any major difference (if any at all) between fully counterclockwise vs. fully clockwise.

Perhaps only the HSC knob would make a difference in bobbing on the bike, but neither made any difference. The ONLY noticeable differences were made when I fiddled with the Rebound adjustment on the base of the fork and when I popped open (closed?) the Floodgate on the LSC knob. They both did what I expected them to.

So I'm curious, does the fork just need a rebuild or a service? Or am I crazy and the adjustments I made would only be noticeable on the trail?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the ignorance!

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 7:49 Quote
I have a Lyrik RC2DH with the same issue. After doing tons of searching, I found nothing. I ended up putting 10wt oil in the damper and deal with it.

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 9:14 Quote
The compression adjustment should be obvious. Sounds like a damper problem.

I have a 2013 Lyrik with the Motion Control IS damper and the difference from open to closed is night and day. It's nearly locked out in full closed, and very soft in full open. It's not the same damper but you get the idea.

You might pay as much to fix the damper as you did for the fork itself.If it becomes too expensive to fix, I would just live with it or sell the fork for a working one. Damper service/ replacements are not cheap.

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 11:06 Quote
I've swapped out two MiCo dampers with the same results. I highly doubt both were faulty.

Is your fork air or coil?

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 12:48 Quote
It's an air fork - a 2009 Lyrik 2-step air fork.

Did adding in the oil help correct the issue? Or just make your damping do something?

If it's an expensive fix, I'll definitely just ride it for now.

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 12:58 Quote
Basically the heavier weight oil it like turning the knob. Pretty much the only solution I've found.

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 14:26 Quote
That's no fun. Kind of defies the hold point of having the compression damping adjustment at all.

Anyone else have any luck with this issue?

I'm not really interested in dumping a bunch of cash for the Charger Damping upgrade kit or the Ava Cart (especially if it won't solve my issue).

Also, how do I go about adding oil to the damper? I'd assume that would require removing the damper from the fork?

I'm still pretty new to all of this. Thanks for your help!

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 at 10:20 Quote
someunknownperson wrote:
That's no fun. Kind of defies the hold point of having the compression damping adjustment at all.

Anyone else have any luck with this issue?

I'm not really interested in dumping a bunch of cash for the Charger Damping upgrade kit or the Ava Cart (especially if it won't solve my issue).

Also, how do I go about adding oil to the damper? I'd assume that would require removing the damper from the fork?

I'm still pretty new to all of this. Thanks for your help!

The charger or avy would definitely solve your problem lol

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009060
Mobile Version of Website